Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 12:08:32 PM EDT
I am looking to get a new base layer and was checking to see if anyone had experience with the above listed base layers?  I know they're pricey, but to me, it's worth it to stay warm!  I hunt in cold weather down to the low teens and have a good parka and bibs already.

Thanks again,
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have use the under armor 4.0 for the past three seasons. Really nice bace layer but really pricey. Works better in mild climate (20's to 30's) when i need to shed the outer layer to dry quicker. For really cold weather (teens). I use some cheap rocky brand base layer from walmart but they don't dry nearly as well. The under armor is worth it if you can afford it. I prefer to have a cheaper base layer and spend my money on quality outer layer gear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the under armour 4.0's.  I was not impressed at all.  In my opinion under armour makes excellent hot weather clothing but their cold weather gear is WAY overpriced and over rated.

I picked a set of these up from sportsmans guide and they are amazing....and cheap.  Way better value for the money.  After deer hunting last year I wore these goose hunting in temperatures below -16.  Had this base layer on.  Normal clothes layer, Jacket and bibs and was good to go.   The fleece lining is very comfortable against the skin.  I cant say enough great things about these base layers.

Same as the military ECWCS

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-10-oz-brown-poly-fleece-bottoms?a=1131998

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-10-oz-brown-poly-fleece-crew-neck-top?a=1582787
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Patagonia Capilene that I have had from my climbing days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
icebreaker, first lite and minus33. merino wool.

I don't wear anything else.  its worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Merino wool is definitely worth the price.   I have a pair of Terramars.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use Patagonia Capilene that I have had from my climbing days.
View Quote

I have some capilene too. Never tried it hunting though usually just hiking. Really good stuff think i might try it out early fall this year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

x2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

Same here. Took my under armour to Virginia Beach for a duck hunt one time and froze my ass off. I am from Florida, so maybe I was a little colder than most. When I got home, I ordered wool base layer from Filson, donated my under armour after that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Ive used some of the military ECWCS as a base and was not impressed, maybe I did it wrong?  I really like the fleece lined rockey base layer, it runs about $35 or so for the top & bottoms.  Although I got a set on sale for $12.00.  The sportsman guide gear looks pretty good too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
After a cold ass winter in Alaska I think the Under Armor Tactical cold weather shit is way better than the base layer shit, and better than the new generation of the military cold weather base layers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Next to skin later for me is under armor 3, followed by wool layers for a base. Works great in late duck season
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got the Cabela's stuff, it's functional and probably about on par with issued gridded cold weather layers but certainly not a magic bullet.  The reality is if you've got to sit still in northern weather for hours on end there's no beating the cold.  I usually break out the base layers when it gets below 50 just because by the time I come down even 45 starts to chill you, and I'd rather walk in real slow and try to limit sweating than be shivering when I'm trying to steady a pin on a deer at 5 minutes to sundown.  Once it gets down below about 20, and especially if you go for late season in December/January, you're just toast.  Blocking the wind is a big part of it, and I will say the the combination of the parka and bib in the Cabela's Stand Hunter line is a huge upgrade from any other cold weather gear I've tried and absolutely shuts out the wind.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had the under armour 4.0's.  I was not impressed at all.  In my opinion under armour makes excellent hot weather clothing but their cold weather gear is WAY overpriced and over rated.

View Quote

This UA cold gear is a joke IMO.  

If it has Cabelas written on it your getting your money worth.  I wear all Cabelas (cold S as on wear) for 15+ years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top