Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 12:34:58 PM EDT
...and I'm going this fall.  Is there anything new that has come out in the last 20 years that I should look into getting?

My dad and I are going to be hunting on private property just walking through the the woods.  Last time I hunted was with him when I was 12.  I remember seeing some deer but not shooting because I couldn't see what was behind them, getting yelled at for making too much noise, and eating PB&J sandwiches.  

I don't have any hunting equipment other than a rifle and a pair of boots.  I don't want to sink too much money into it but what are some things you think would be worth picking up for someone just looking to get into hunting again?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Rain gear. Nothing like getting caught in an unexpected downpour and having to sit in the woods sopping wet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rain gear. Nothing like getting caught in an unexpected downpour and having to sit in the woods sopping wet.
View Quote

Good idea.  I would have never thought of that.  I used to have some decent rain gear but I'm guessing it no longer fits.  

This may be a silly question, but what do people do with their rifles in the rain?  Or maybe I just baby my rifles too much because I try not to shoot in the rain.  I'm guessing if they get wet you just clean and oil them well after you get home.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a rifle you can hit a 6-8 circle out to 250 yards, offhanded, at least 9 out of 10 times with?
Do you have clothes suited to the weather during hunting season? Boots?
Do you have a day pack to carry water, snacks, basic survival gear, first aid kit, if you are going into remote areas (more than 5 miles from nearest dwelling)?
Binoculars?
Gutting and field dressing kit, knives, bonesaw, etc?
License, tags as needed?
Know the proper bullet placement for the type of shot presented, ie. head-on, broadside, angling into/away.
Know when NOT to take shot?

I am sure I could think of more, but thats a good start.
Wiedmanns Heil (good hunting)
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you have a rifle you can hit a 6-8 circle out to 250 yards, offhanded, at least 9 out of 10 times with?
Do you have clothes suited to the weather during hunting season? Boots?
Do you have a day pack to carry water, snacks, basic survival gear, first aid kit, if you are going into remote areas (more than 5 miles from nearest dwelling)?
Binoculars?
Gutting and field dressing kit, knives, bonesaw, etc?
License, tags as needed?
Know the proper bullet placement for the type of shot presented, ie. head-on, broadside, angling into/away.
Know when NOT to take shot?

I am sure I could think of more, but thats a good start.
Wiedmanns Heil (good hunting)
View Quote

1) Yes, but I need to verify zero on my scope before the season starts.
2) No to clothes and yes to boots.
3) My Camelbak would do in a pinch but its not camo.
4) We have binoculars.  The same ones we used 20 years ago, lol.
5) Not sure on the field dressing kit.  Any good recommendations?
5) License is in position and doe tags were mailed the other day.
6) Yes, I feel I know proper bullet placement but I'll review the hunters guide to make sure.
7) Definitely know this.  My dad yelled at me for not taking a shot at a deer.  I told him I couldn't see what was behind it so I didn't take the shot.  I was probably just paranoid (and nervous!) but its better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in a similar situation last year.  I'd hunted a bit as a kid with an uncle, and after about 25 years decided to start hunting again on my own.  I didn't even an appropriate caliber rifle, since my state doesn't allow for .223 on deer so you're well ahead of where I was.  

I'm assuming you'll be wearing some blaze orange, so I wouldn't worry at all about your pack being camo or not.  I started buying "hunting camo" clothes, mainly because there are lots of good quality, moisture wicking clothing made today targeted at hunters.  Probably one benefit of "hunting" gear is that it tends to be made of fabrics that are very quiet if they brush up against something.  

A good pair of binoculars goes near the top of my list for useful gear.  They don't need to be Swarovski, but don't settle for $20 cheapies either.  My first trip out I had a pair of budget binoculars I'd had kicking around the house and they fogged up on me.  A pair of Vortex binoculars was my best hunting buy of last year.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
if your hunting in PA as i do i'll list what i use and have been using for the past few years. should give you an idea of what you need

i'll start at clothing, inside out.

Under Armour base layers. leggings and tops. i have different types depending on how warm/cold it will be or how mobile i will be.
socks. a good poly base sock then a heavier merino wool or heavy Under Armor ski socks. i wear the base sock only during my walking then put on the thicker sock when i get to my stand.
Muck boots. i have the Woody Maxx
Brush pants. i'll walk through some nasty stabby stuff sometimes and they save my legs
my coat. i have a couple depending on weather. if it's real cold i take my heavy coat and also take another sweatshirt or something to wear once i get set up.
gloves. whatever keeps your hands out of the wind and cold.
hand warmers. open them before you go in the woods so your not crinkling paper in the woods.
hat. i wear a blaze gore-Tex Jones cap.
fleece neck gaiter

i usually carry a small backpack or satchel with food/snacks/water. an old stainless thermos that has the glass lining with hot tea

a seat of some sort. I've been using a foam type. lightweight and i can strap it to a belt loop so i don't have to carry it.

as far as field dressing goes. i'm not skinning and quartering in the field so i'm not hauling a bunch of that stuff in with me.
i take my ESEE Izula, Butt-Out Tool, nitrile gloves and a small first aid kit. I'll also take zip ties so i can cinch off the butt when i pull it out and get it free from the body. it's been plenty enough to gut deer. I've never had to saw a rib cage or pelvis to gut a deer out, just reach up in there and cut the guts out.

i never worried about my gun getting wet or anything, my hunting rifle is duracoated and i use scope covers. and i have an umbrella that attaches to a tree so i can have some cover.

if your going to be mobile the entire time then don't dress heavy, you'll sweat and be cold and miserable. if your walking in to a stand where you'll be all day, don't get all bundled up before you go in, you'll sweat and then freeze all day in your stand. wear the bare minimum and dress when you get to where your going, you won't get as cold this way. same goes with your feet. less is more...
when i walk in i'll take my boots off for a little bit and then put my heavier socks and boots back on. same goes for my upper body. i'll wear just my base layer when walking, and once i get set up slowly put layers on.

hope this helps.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if your hunting in PA as i do i'll list what i use and have been using for the past few years. should give you an idea of what you need

i'll start at clothing, inside out.

Under Armour base layers. leggings and tops. i have different types depending on how warm/cold it will be or how mobile i will be.
socks. a good poly base sock then a heavier merino wool or heavy Under Armor ski socks. i wear the base sock only during my walking then put on the thicker sock when i get to my stand.
Muck boots. i have the Woody Maxx
Brush pants. i'll walk through some nasty stabby stuff sometimes and they save my legs
my coat. i have a couple depending on weather. if it's real cold i take my heavy coat and also take another sweatshirt or something to wear once i get set up.
gloves. whatever keeps your hands out of the wind and cold.
hand warmers. open them before you go in the woods so your not crinkling paper in the woods.
hat. i wear a blaze gore-Tex Jones cap.
fleece neck gaiter

i usually carry a small backpack or satchel with food/snacks/water. an old stainless thermos that has the glass lining with hot tea

a seat of some sort. I've been using a foam type. lightweight and i can strap it to a belt loop so i don't have to carry it.

as far as field dressing goes. i'm not skinning and quartering in the field so i'm not hauling a bunch of that stuff in with me.
i take my ESEE Izula, Butt-Out Tool, nitrile gloves and a small first aid kit. I'll also take zip ties so i can cinch off the butt when i pull it out and get it free from the body. it's been plenty enough to gut deer. I've never had to saw a rib cage or pelvis to gut a deer out, just reach up in there and cut the guts out.

i never worried about my gun getting wet or anything, my hunting rifle is duracoated and i use scope covers. and i have an umbrella that attaches to a tree so i can have some cover.

if your going to be mobile the entire time then don't dress heavy, you'll sweat and be cold and miserable. if your walking in to a stand where you'll be all day, don't get all bundled up before you go in, you'll sweat and then freeze all day in your stand. wear the bare minimum and dress when you get to where your going, you won't get as cold this way. same goes with your feet. less is more...
when i walk in i'll take my boots off for a little bit and then put my heavier socks and boots back on. same goes for my upper body. i'll wear just my base layer when walking, and once i get set up slowly put layers on.

hope this helps.

View Quote

Dang Wils91, sounds like you and I learned from the same book (Dad and Granddad)  I'd say ya nailed it.
Op, I think you will want something more than yer Camelback. Hunting can be done comfortably, without puttin on the Ritz. It doesn't have to be a test in being miserable and claiming to enjoy. I am not a Blind sitter. I like to get down on the ground and dig deep into the woods to find them. I hunt for two reasons, meat and woodcraft. I don't begrudge the blind sitters, it's just not for me. As you hunt more and more you will find out what works for you, and what doesn't. Your kit will evolve with you, over time. Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You've gotten some good advice here. I personally, when on private property, do not field dress deer. I use some type of vehicle to haul the deer to a tree and use a gambrel with a pulley to gut, skin, etc... If you are in the woods, remember a rope or drag to pull your harvest to a clearing and drive it to where you clean it. Less weight to haul during the hunt, and after a kill it is easier to let GM, Ford, Polaris, or John Deere carry the carcass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top