Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 10:51:21 AM EDT
looking at two rifle packages not sure which to choose. with either one i will be buying a nikon buckmaster scope and some new rings and base later on down the road once i save up some more cash probably a few months.

1st is the savage 111 trophy hunter xp W/ acutrigger.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Savage-Model-11-Trophy-Hunter-XP-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=614920

2nd is the remington 700 adl package.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-700-ADL-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=GM442168

i am kind of leaning towards the savage but my main question is why the 700 adl even with its scope (cheap or not) is so much cheaper than a 700 sps... are the barrels different or what?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
looking at two rifle packages not sure which to choose. with either one i will be buying a nikon buckmaster scope and some new rings and base later on down the road once i save up some more cash probably a few months.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Savage-Model-11-Trophy-Hunter-XP-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=614920

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-700-ADL-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=GM442168

i am kind of leaning towards the savage but my main question is why the 700 adl even with its scope (cheap or not) is so much cheaper than a 700 sps... are the barrels different or what?
View Quote

Savage

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

My oldest son has the Savage w/Nikon BDC scope pkg, got it at Bud's Gun Shop (budsgunshop.com) for $440.
It shoots really good with M80 ball ammo, I'll work up a good hunting load with Hornady SST bullets for deer season.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd buy a Savage before a new Remington at this point. In actuality I don't like the packages and I would look at the used market for a rifle and buy the scope separately.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd buy a Savage before a new Remington at this point. In actuality I don't like the packages and I would look at the used market for a rifle and buy the scope separately.
View Quote

Agreed.  Go buy an older 700 on the used market.  Better yet, go build an ARP 6.8.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
It it's a choice between new rifles, I would go Savage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell, how long has it been since Remington made an ADL?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know if they are still around but if they have been discontinued it has been pretty recently. They could be found at places like Walmart or Dicks.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]

After a bunch of research on the same topic I went with Savage FCP-K. Bought a separate Nikon BDC...love the set up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't know if they are still around but if they have been discontinued it has been pretty recently. They could be found at places like Walmart or Dicks.  
View Quote

Lol, is a decade pretty recent?

According to the company historical page, the ADL was discontinued in 2004, with the SPS taking over in 2005. Which matched up roughly with my memory.

And you're right, those ADLs stayed on the inventory of numerous stores long after they stopped making them. I just thought it was odd that OP was looking at an ADL package, and people were basically saying "naw, get an older Remington if you want a 700."

I bought my ADL around 2002, and it still came with the cheap plastic stock, no molded grip pads. So I reckon the ADLs with that newer stock have to have been made at the tail end of the run. Looks like a solid, entry level deer gun to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

According to the company historical page, the ADL was discontinued in 2004, with the SPS taking over in 2005. Which matched up roughly with my memory.

And you're right, those ADLs stayed on the inventory of numerous stores long after they stopped making them. I just thought it was odd that OP was looking at an ADL package, and people were basically saying "naw, get an older Remington if you want a 700."

I bought my ADL around 2002, and it still came with the cheap plastic stock, no molded grip pads. So I reckon the ADLs with that newer stock have to have been made at the tail end of the run. Looks like a solid, entry level deer gun to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope; this will get you started

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/patrick-carrube/gun-review-remington-adl-243/

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Meh, show me a serial number, so that we can accurately date it.

ETA: But, the X-mark didn't pop up until 2007...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top