Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 11:31:43 AM EDT
I plan on using mine this fall for deer hunting.Will be using Federal 62 grain Sp or my Winchester 64 grain soft point.Where is a the best place to aim on a deer with these rounds? Neck? Chest?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
oh and I have a Core 15 M4 Scout with a 1 in 9" twist barrell.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I used the 64 grain Winchester Power points last year in my Spikes. Hit a large doe through the heart/lungs and somehow dropped her within 30 yards. The round definitely has the potential to be an effective deer round. My AR is a 1/7 twist, but I wouldn't think a 1/9 twist rate would have problems stabilization 64 grain rounds. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Lungs-heart always.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.I have read here a 1 in 9 twist is good up to 69 grains.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, with either of those bullets just shoot them through the heart/lungs the same way you would if using a .308 Win.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a 19 page-472 response sticky on this subject right above your post
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Dog         I know about that page and have read it.I didn't want to sift through all the get a bigger calibre replies.Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I dropped a big doe and a small spike last year with a 16" 1/9 twist carbine shooting 55gr. Ballistic tips, the big doe I hit her in the neck and she was DRT. the spike I did a heart lung shot and it ran about 100 yds spraying blood everywhere as it ran. super easy to track.

both shots were at somewhere between 150 to 175 yds.

Jason
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Try to get a good broadside shot. Something we all want and only occasionally get. Neck and head shots can be risky in hunting situations from typical field positions. I only take those from prone to make sure I am solid. Avoid anything close to a Texas heart shot.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've killed a handful of small southern missour deer with an AR. I always use the federal loaded 60 grain partitions. They have worked very well. So well in fact, half of my camp have switched to the AR. Most of our shots are 75 yards or under

I've now switched to a 6.8, but for me both rounds kill them dead right there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, with either of those bullets just shoot them through the heart/lungs the same way you would if using a .308 Win.
View Quote

Without the exit wound or blood trail that a .308 would have given in the first place, of course...

TRG
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a 19 page-472 response sticky on this subject right above your post
View Quote

He didn't ask which bullet was best, he listed 2 very good choices that are very often recommended and asked where the best place to aim is.

And the correct answer, aim just like you would with any other deer hunting round.  If you like neck shots then take them with the. 223, if not the good ole heart lung shot works like it has for hundreds if years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Without the exit wound or blood trail that a .308 would have given in the first place, of course...

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

The only time I have not had an exit wound with 5.56, I used a 60gr Nosler BT, which still had enough mass to break the off side shoulder at 95 yards.  The deer was dead not more than 60 feet from where it was shot.  It was a very clean kill, near perfect broadside shot, but I still don't recommend that bullet for deer.  However that bullet MIGHT be very good from a 10" barrel since the velocity is much lower than a 16" / 20"...  I wish I knew someone who could do some gel testing on that combo.

Care to explain the lack of blood trail and exit hole when using a .416 Rigby?  The truth of the matter is no caliber will absolutely guarantee an exit and a blood trail.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The only time I have not had an exit wound with 5.56, I used a 60gr Nosler BT, which still had enough mass to break the off side shoulder at 95 yards.  The deer was dead not more than 60 feet from where it was shot.  It was a very clean kill, near perfect broadside shot, but I still don't recommend that bullet for deer.  However that bullet MIGHT be very good from a 10" barrel since the velocity is much lower than a 16" / 20"...  I wish I knew someone who could do some gel testing on that combo.

Care to explain the lack of blood trail and exit hole when using a .416 Rigby?  The truth of the matter is no caliber will absolutely guarantee an exit and a blood trail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

On top of that testimonial, I'll offer this one:
The first deer I killed was with a .50 cal. Muzzle Loader.

35 yds. and the deer was trotting through the woods while I was hidden in a blow down.

Shot right through the heart, didn't exit.

Blood everywhere.  Deer dead in the dirt within 20-30 yds from where I shot it.

Again.  The .50 T/C bullet didn't exit.( XTP ? )
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]

The first deer I killed was with a .50 cal. Muzzle Loader.

35 yds. and the deer was trotting through the woods while I was hidden in a blow down.

Shot right through the heart, didn't exit.

Blood everywhere.  Deer dead in the dirt within 20-30 yds from where I shot it.

Again.  The .50 T/C bullet didn't exit.( XTP ? )
View Quote

I have had that same thing happen with the Hornady XTP muzzleloader, but that is a bullet fragmenting due to high impact velocity with a thin jacketed pistol bullet.  I my case I hit the shoulder, found pieces of bone, significant blood trail, but never the deer.  Switched to barnes solid copper and no more problems with that.  For hunting I want a bullet that will penetrate a major shoulder bone on the incoming side and keep going straight through.  Not as concerned about an exit, preferred by not required.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top