Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2013 12:43:36 PM EDT
Taken this afternoon in my front yard, 12/19/13,  middle of Vermont.  Don't think this one is going to make it     No mom around either, I have seen it a few times the last couple of weeks just not this close......I think my 50 # lab is bigger

4 feet outside the bedroom window

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like its eating well. maybe it will make it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If she can get in with some other does she will make it. I've seen younger in my area of Arkansas but its not that cold here so they survive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read that a doe will continue to come in estrus until she gets bred.So..if the doesn't gets bred in the 'normal' season a fawn can be born at virtually any time during the year.
 The fawn might survive IF the predators don't get it.

edited for clarity......
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw a similar one once. It was living in a wooded ravine between a Wal-Mart and a Sam's Club. I saw it a few times over the winter and into spring.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree.  Slightly bloated belly but gaunt around the hips.
Rough hair coat.
She's eating twigs and filling her belly, but not with anything nutritious enough to build the fat reserves she needs take her through a long New England winter.

That one is about as good as dead, I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Mom may be around, just not hanging around.  Assume behavior should be somewhat similar to what I often see down here, which is during the rut, the does often leave their yearlings and are constantly on the move, trying to stay away from the horny bucks.  Possible that this may be what's going on.  She may return periodically to check on her fawn; hopefully she wasn't killed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a spotted fawn on our place now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Try and feed her if you can and see how she does. It's just a late born fawn and not to uncommon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Rough hair coat.
She's eating twigs and filling her belly, but not with anything nutritious enough to build the fat reserves she needs take her through a long New England winter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rough hair coat.

Going to have to go with this, unfortunately.  There is no way she will be able to bulk up enough to survive the winter and she is eating our evergreens this early.....not very good for her.

There is no mom around, we thought of that last week when the "late rut" would have been going on.

I have killed a metric shit ton of stuff in my life, but this just makes me a little bit sad on the inside.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Try and feed her if you can and see how she does. It's just a late born fawn and not to uncommon.
View Quote

Feeding deer is against the law in VT, as it is not good for the deer............
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]
plenty fat  it will be all set
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
let nature take its course. I manage a couple farms here in nc for deer hunting. I have seen late born fawns survive and die.
deer are extremely tough animals and have a unbelievable will to live. I think it has a 50/50 shot. if you want to help it leave it alone.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
let nature take its course. I manage a couple farms here in nc for deer hunting. I have seen late born fawns survive and die.
deer are extremely tough animals and have a unbelievable will to live. I think it has a 50/50 shot. if you want to help it leave it alone.

View Quote

She's not in North Carolina and she's not on a deer farm.
She's in Vermont. In the wilderness.
Only thing that will save her besides artificial feeding is a very mild, short winter and a little luck.

If that deer were mine to sell, I'd take damn near anything for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Disagree if you want to... I'd be feeding it, or trying to.  But to each his/her own...
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Feeding deer is against the law in VT, as it is not good for the deer............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says them and who cares what they say?
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only thing that will save her besides artificial feeding is a very mild, short winter and a little luck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
Nc winter doesn't come close to a northeast winter.
I've seen deer survive in some pretty amazing ways. Had a doe lose a leg on the farm one time. I'm not sure how, but she survived and even birthed two healthy fawns the following spring. I hope the little guy makes it.
Maybe somebody near by has a winter food plot and he stumbles across it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Throw some corn out and have something to look at every morning.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Throw some corn out and have something to look at every morning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#19]
If she sticks around your suburban area, and you guys have a low coyote population, and this winter relents, she can make it!!

cliffs: Low odds of making it.

I've seen one fawn with spots this late in the season, and we had heavy snow that year with a pretty stout coyote population, I doubt she made it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Take it in,it could be your labs buddy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The local Town Assessor did just that.  Had a tame whitetail fawn that used to pal around with his golden retriever.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Daughter already said that    

Lots of coyotes around, but they tend to stay in the woods out back......In the winter, just before dark the deer will funnel out of the woods and thru our yard and into the neighborhood for the evening, just after light, back into the woods on the same trail to spend the day.  They are pretty smart in that aspect.

Last 2 winters have been mild, but I do think she is a gonner with a "normal" snow year

My best friend has 4 food plots around us, but in all the hunting seasons this fall, he has never seen her in one of them.

The turkeys would eat us out of house and home if there was corn out
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and how it is that you know that the OP is located in the "wilderness"? Middle of vermont does not mean wilderness.
Also what is it that you think that a deer eats once winter sets if there are no standing crops or left overs from harvest?
What they eat is "browse" which is twigs, buds etc.
The majority of what a deer consumes is browse.

I have never seen one with spots this late, if nothing genetic is wrong that could cause this than it was born real late.
As mentioned a Doe will cycle until she is bred, can happen from Sept -Feb, never heard of MArch though .
Also remember that a fawn can be bread once it reaches 80 or 90lbs. So it could have been born to a fawn that was bred real late.
The deer looks perfectly fine to me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got one on camera from last week that's still following mom, trying to suckle. No spots, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Rough hair coat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rough hair coat.

Sounds about right :|
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
is that an Axis fawn?
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
is that an Axis fawn?
View Quote

No, it is a whitetail.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have read that a doe will continue to come in estrus until she gets bred.So..if the doesn't gets bred in the 'normal' season a fawn can be born at virtually any time during the year.
 The fawn might survive IF the predators don't get it.

edited for clarity......
View Quote

not all of them will go into heat again, but yes usually if they weren't bred the first go around they will. Thats what we like to call 'second rut'
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#29]
My friend had one messing around in front of his stand for 1/2 an hour that he said might have been 3ft from head to tail.  This was Wisconsin deer season, last week of Nov.

Its a wild animal, if it survive it survives, if it dies it dies... leave it alone, whitetails have it pretty well figured out after 3.5 million years of evolution.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hell, that's a big deer here in TX.
View Quote

She is still around

Little feet......

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Had one in front of a stand last year. About that size, its head would barely peek out of the CRP. I wouldn't have even seen it if she didn't shake her tail every now and then.It walked up to me when I climbed down in the late morning. Got within about 10 yards before it ran off the other way.

It's kind of sad, but nature is pretty brutal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Acroos the lake from you here in ny. Even thought the law says no feeding I would be putting something out. I may or may not be mixing all-stock with some regular animal feed and putting it out a 5 gallon pail at a time once or twice a week. With the ice storm we got here last week its going to be impossible for them to get to the ground. And unless you are literally standing 10 yards away hunting over your "feed" I dont think you will have any problems. The good part about the all stock is its brown and mixes in with the dirty ground if you don't want anybody to notice. About $11 for a 50 pound bag at any farm feed store. In the spring when things thaw out just slowly stop putting stuff out and it will makes its way back to normal
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:30:42 AM EDT
[#34]
The ice up our way is terrible, you can walk on top with no problem.  The deer are already eating the evergreens since they can't dig through the thick crust.  It's going to be a long winter for them and the turkeys.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Acroos the lake from you here in ny. Even thought the law says no feeding I would be putting something out. I may or may not be mixing all-stock with some regular animal feed and putting it out a 5 gallon pail at a time once or twice a week. With the ice storm we got here last week its going to be impossible for them to get to the ground. And unless you are literally standing 10 yards away hunting over your "feed" I dont think you will have any problems. The good part about the all stock is its brown and mixes in with the dirty ground if you don't want anybody to notice. About $11 for a 50 pound bag at any farm feed store. In the spring when things thaw out just slowly stop putting stuff out and it will makes its way back to normal
View Quote

A few QDM freaks around here did the same thing in the Mount Horeb area in Dane County Wisconsin, back in the Eighties and Nineties.
The feed they used had bone meal in it ("to produce bigger racks!") from prion-infected beef cattle.
Now Mount Horeb is the epicenter of CWD in the Wisconsin deer herd.
Just sayin'.

Don't feed the damn deer.
If you want to help them, thin the predators and hunt the herd selectively during the season.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The ice up our way is terrible, you can walk on top with no problem.  The deer are already eating the evergreens since they can't dig through the thick crust.  It's going to be a long winter for them and the turkeys.
View Quote

She is still around and doing alright, yesterday afternoon she was finally seen with the other deer in the neighborhood.  This was the first time as every time I had seen her she was by herself.......she has been seen making the rounds to all the bird feeders in the area.

We did not get the ice nearly as bad as up north, and the 12 inches of snow we got the other day was melted by 52* temps and rain yesterday, we are probably down to less than 40% snow cover (off of the mountains)
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#37]
She is still going strong and hanging with the other deer.  I put the camera on the trail where they cross our property and go into the neighborhood for the night......got them all balled up together just as they were getting ready to cross the stone wall fence.  There is an apple tree at this spot that still has some apples up high, that keep falling and they dig around like crazy for them.  They also seem to love the ferns in the area, we always get some great fiddleheads in the spring and it seems they are liking them also.

We have had a very cold winter so far, but the lack of snow is really helping things......there might be an inch on the ground.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the update. Glad to see she is still hanging in there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#39]
If you want to 'feed deer' through the winter, do it right.

Forget the various animal feeds.  They all have downsides.  The safest and easiest method (if you have a little forested land) involves nothing more than a chain saw.  Simply head out into the woods and drop a few trees.  Period.  Nothing else.  

ever notice hard browse lines about 4-5 feet above ground?  Deer are reaching up as far as they can for browse.  There is lots of food in the woods, but its often all out of reach.  Drop a big poplar, or better yet a cedar, and stand back.  In 36 hours the deer are usually all over it.  The single largest deer concentration I ever saw was the result of a new power line installation in winter.  Lots of trees were cut, and the tops were down where deer could get to them.  This was in the Adirondacks where deer numbers are low.  In this case, there were HUNDREDS of the buggers.

With tree browse there is no diet changes.  No worries about deer having proper intestinal flora and fauna for digestion.  It's simply providing more of what they already are eating.  And if its done with some thought, you are providing additional cover for deer next year.

Fro
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you want to 'feed deer' through the winter, do it right.

Forget the various animal feeds.  They all have downsides.  The safest and easiest method (if you have a little forested land) involves nothing more than a chain saw.  Simply head out into the woods and drop a few trees.  Period.  Nothing else.  

ever notice hard browse lines about 4-5 feet above ground?  Deer are reaching up as far as they can for browse.  There is lots of food in the woods, but its often all out of reach.  Drop a big poplar, or better yet a cedar, and stand back.  In 36 hours the deer are usually all over it.  The single largest deer concentration I ever saw was the result of a new power line installation in winter.  Lots of trees were cut, and the tops were down where deer could get to them.  This was in the Adirondacks where deer numbers are low.  In this case, there were HUNDREDS of the buggers.

With tree browse there is no diet changes.  No worries about deer having proper intestinal flora and fauna for digestion.  It's simply providing more of what they already are eating.  And if its done with some thought, you are providing additional cover for deer next year.

Fro
View Quote

Good post!
I wish more people would take heed and practice such forest/deer herd management, rather than simply dumping corn on a pile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Feeding deer is against the law and bad for the deer.
View Quote
 I guess in VT starving is good for the deer?  I’d be feeding it and keeping my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[quote...snip ...  I guess in VT starving is good for the deer? ...snip....
View Quote

For the overall health of the entire herd?  
Well yes, actually it is good for the deer, (and not just in VT.).

It's part of a complex process called Natural Selection, which has worked very well for countless millennium to help shape the white-tailed deer into the remarkable creature it is today.
That's just the way it is...
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I have never seen one with spots after September in PA.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#44]
She is still kicking, even after one of the coldest and snowiest winters I can remember, we see her almost every day going across the yard.  We got 2' of snow Wednesday/Thursday and she is moving thru it just fine, and has been hanging with all the other deer in the area all winter.

It is amazing how they survive and seem to be thriving.....she is defiantly getting bigger over the winter.

They are over the "winter hump" and this last bit of snow should be gone by the end of the month.  I love a happy ending  
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Good point.
I've seen deer survive in some pretty amazing ways. Had a doe lose a leg on the farm one time. I'm not sure how, but she survived and even birthed two healthy fawns the following spring. I hope the little guy makes it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

Here's Tripod; in her second winter without that hind leg.  She'll be 3 this spring.

She runs pretty good too...

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lots of coyotes around, but they tend to stay in the woods out back......In the winter, just before dark the deer will funnel out of the woods and thru our yard and into the neighborhood for the evening, just after light, back into the woods on the same trail to spend the day.  They are pretty smart in that aspect.

Last 2 winters have been mild, but I do think she is a gonner with a "normal" snow year

My best friend has 4 food plots around us, but in all the hunting seasons this fall, he has never seen her in one of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can help with that turkey problem..  :-)
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Made it!!  I never thought in 100 years that this deer would make a normal winter, much less the coldest snowiest winter in ages.  We still see her a few times per week but with the snow melted they are not coming into the neighborhood every night, like they did all winter.  It still strikes me that she actually got bigger as the winter went on.....they really are an amazing animal.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Neat. They are hardy animals, for sure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Made it!!  I never thought in 100 years that this deer would make a normal winter, much less the coldest snowiest winter in ages.  We still see her a few times per week but with the snow melted they are not coming into the neighborhood every night, like they did all winter.  It still strikes me that she actually got bigger as the winter went on.....they really are an amazing animal.  

<a href="http://s137.photobucket.com/user/HJF71/media/B9E01613-7251-4C40-A046-FCEE0C5743C1_zpswciltxpg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/HJF71/B9E01613-7251-4C40-A046-FCEE0C5743C1_zpswciltxpg.jpg</a>
View Quote

thanks for the update! tough little bugger was meant to be!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I never had a doubt. We give deer a lot less credit than they deserve, but they're hardy creatures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top