Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2011 7:02:50 AM EDT
Before I go out and buy up ten boxes of ammo ,can anyone tell me where to start with a factory hunting load .
I purchased a Savage model 10 PC 308 with the 5R barrel 1 in 11.25" rifling . I don't have much time to experiment before season,
so I need some suggestions for some factory loads that might get me through this season .  I will be shooting this gun suppressed
suggestions on reading material would work also.

thanks
vhunter
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try the AR ammo forum as opposed to the AK one. The ammo they use will probably perform better on game that the Russian stuff we use.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Something 150-180gr, softpoint.  Don't buy ten boxes.  Buy two or three.  Start with a Remington Core-lokt.  Pick the one that groups best (under 2" at 100 yards will do, if that's the best you can get from off-the-shelf ammo).  Zero scope.  Go kill deer (shoot at the heart, whether you go through ribs or shoulder - will hit lungs, maybe liver on the way to the heart).  Make handloads for next year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]
hornady tap in the 168 grain load.  in my gun its well below MOA.  the tap ammo is loaded with amax bullet heads.  think ballistic tip.   on line, it can be had for @28 a box
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had excellent performance with Federal Power Shok and Federal Fusion.  I mean MOA accurate.  Savage 110 with 20" bbl.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Something 150-180gr, softpoint.  Don't buy ten boxes.  Buy two or three.  Start with a Remington Core-lokt.  Pick the one that groups best (under 2" at 100 yards will do, if that's the best you can get from off-the-shelf ammo).  Zero scope.  Go kill deer (shoot at the heart, whether you go through ribs or shoulder - will hit lungs, maybe liver on the way to the heart).  Make handloads for next year.

This.

Even if your gun only groups 2" at 100 yards that's 6" at 300 yards which is plenty of accuracy to keep a shot in the vitals of a deer at that distance.  Beyond 300 yards you really need to know the distance and the drop of your round.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot MOA with 140 gr. Core Lokts in my Remington 700 7MM08. My go to round for deer.

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hornady tap in the 168 grain load.  in my gun its well below MOA.  the tap ammo is loaded with amax bullet heads.  think ballistic tip.   on line, it can be had for @28 a box

Negative.  Not a deer round.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

quoting hornady, for use on thin skinned animals
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington 150gr Core Lokt did a number on the deer I took last year.  Highly recommend.

Regards,
Matt
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking of the TAP LE load.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Pick one...they are all about minute of deer...refine after deer season is over, time to fill the freezer now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Remington core lokt 150-180 grain.

150 is a good, fast, flat round.

180 for deeper penetration, little slower.

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same round, its the amax bullet.  precision ballistic tip is the jest of it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought it was designed for fragmentation?  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]
i use the remington premier line loaded with the swift sirrocco 165 gr. very very accurate, and does more damage to a deer than anything else ive used or even seen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought it was designed for fragmentation?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

There were several threads about the AMax as an appropriate hunting round with some good discussion on both sides. Hornady lists the AMax projectile as a match bullet and goes on to say that match bullets are not for hunting.

Personally, I have never cared for the AMax as a hunting round. I have seen several deer taken with it but the results were less than desirable. All of the deer were recovered within 30 yards but there was very little blood and inconsistent exits. The successes I have seen I attribute more to shot placement than terminal performance.

There are people that swear by hunting with an AMax and others that swear against it. My take is that Hornady and other brands make bullets designed specifically for high weight retention and consistent expansion on large game so why not use a tool designed for the job?

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I use 165gr Federal Fusion now, at 200 yards sighting in I got a nice ragged hole. Used to go with 180gr fusion, just wanted a bit more speed. Both have worked on mulies here in W KS.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#20]
if you load your own and dont care for the amax, the berger vld hunting bullets look great also.  i started hunting using remington core locks and they never failed to do the job.  on top of that, they are a cheaper round to buy.  thats what the wife uses in her .243
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
if you load your own and dont care for the amax, the berger vld hunting bullets look great also.  i started hunting using remington core locks and they never failed to do the job.  on top of that, they are a cheaper round to buy.  thats what the wife uses in her .243

I'm sure they work, but I don't see why anybody would want to eat lead...
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure they work, but I don't see why anybody would want to eat lead...

have you heard they come apart?
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]
My personal favorite factory .308 load for deer is the 168gr Win. silver ballistic tips. I've been using them for about ten years and have shot countless deer at ranges from 15yds out to 425yds and all were one shot kills. One deer was about 380 yds out, I misread the wind and ended up with a gut-shot, but even at that range having never hit a bone the bullet expanded  and partially fragmented, the exit wound was almost the size of my fist, and the deer fell before reaching the edge of the field (100yds or so). I hunt with a NEF single shot so the first shot is the only shot (as it should be when hunting) and I don't take losing game lightly. Those wicked little pills have always done the job for me and if your rifle shoots them well you will not be disappointed. Good luck and good hunting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top