Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
I'm in for a net for sure. Would love to get this working. I can receive but am yet to successfully send a message that was received elsewhere.
View Quote
Try FT8 first.  js8call uses part of the WSJTX code base.  FT8 has a lot more traffic and is easier to get through the learning curve of tuning your PC and radio audio settings.  The same settings for FT8 should work perfectly with js8call.  Use PSKReporter to see if anyone can hear RF emissions from you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Try FT8 first.  js8call uses part of the WSJTX code base.  FT8 has a lot more traffic and is easier to get through the learning curve of tuning your PC and radio audio settings.  The same settings for FT8 should work perfectly with js8call.  Use PSKReporter to see if anyone can hear RF emissions from you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
I'm in for a net for sure. Would love to get this working. I can receive but am yet to successfully send a message that was received elsewhere.
JS8 doesn't have option for Icom 705, so you have to trick it into thinking you are using a IC7300, 94h vs A4h. Because of that I have separate saved settings for JS8 vs FT8
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#3]
Originally Posted By TimeIsMoney:
JS8 doesn't have option for Icom 705, so you have to trick it into thinking you are using a IC7300, 94h vs A4h. Because of that I have separate saved settings for JS8 vs FT8
View Quote
I believe the radio options are in HamLib.  On Linux I compiled mine from source with the latest HamLib.  I think others (@K9-Bob ?
) here have said you can replace the .DLL in windows with a newer HamLib and get the updated radio list.  

I had to recompile mine for the Ft-710 since it was a new radio.  For Linux, the standard build does not have IC-705 but my recompiled version does.  The latest linux compile has a 'fpermissive' compiler flag error, its a simple fix. I can post if anyone runs into it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the radio options are in HamLib.  On Linux I compiled mine from source with the latest HamLib.  I think others (@K9-Bob ?
) here have said you can replace the .DLL in windows with a newer HamLib and get the updated radio list.  

I had to recompile mine for the Ft-710 since it was a new radio.  For Linux, the standard build does not have IC-705 but my recompiled version does.  The latest linux compile has a 'fpermissive' compiler flag error, its a simple fix. I can post if anyone runs into it.
View Quote
Yeah I don't use hamlib or linux, but it does work using the 7300 settings you just have to change your radio's ci-v? address and save.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I've been absent after starting this thread. I've been away all weekend.

Anyway, i updated the first post, SCHEDULE. See what you guys think, and we need some input. Day and time are left blank.

I chose secondary freqs by going through different mode band plans and looking for vacancies. If you see a conflict with any , let me know.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I think 10 min per band might be too short. I have met on GhostNet and they are in 30min segments. That way if people have problems, it gives them a little time to iron things out before the group moved to next freq. Or maybe, the top of hour for 30 min official arfcom, and for anyone who wants to just hang out, if their band better is suited the last 30 min. Then official meetup on next band top of the hour. Just some suggestions.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree, 10 minutes is too short for anything meaningful. I suggested that time so we could keep the net to about an hour. Initially,  we will have a lot of bands that we are trying out, too many. As we see which bands work and which don't, we can cull them from the list. Ideally, it would be great to pare the list down to around 3 bands, but which 3? If we cut it down to 3, that's 20 min per band, or we have a shorter net.

Again, nobody is anchored to the schedule. If someone needs help dialing it in, they and others can skip a window. If someone knows that they won't be on 12,15,17, etc, they can jump straight to 20 or 40. Post up here about it, and others may do the same thing.

The windows that I posted will change as we find certain bands just don't work well or are redundant.

Also, everything at this point is very fluid. I just tossed something out there to get the conversation started.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I know when I am on, I usually throw out a @arfcom just to see if anyone is on. Usually, I am on 40m, which I think is a pretty universal band day or night. I am sure it will take a bit of time to get everyone dialed in, and I appreciate you getting something started. My suggestion on having 30 min at the top of an hour spanned out was to allow people to get home from work, or whatever, and still be able to catch the net at some point. I am easy and will try to catch it at whatever time is universally good for the group.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I know when I am on, I usually throw out a @arfcom just to see if anyone is on. Usually, I am on 40m, which I think is a pretty universal band day or night. I am sure it will take a bit of time to get everyone dialed in, and I appreciate you getting something started. My suggestion on having 30 min at the top of an hour spanned out was to allow people to get home from work, or whatever, and still be able to catch the net at some point. I am easy and will try to catch it at whatever time is universally good for the group.
View Quote

I'm 20 during the day and 40 in the evening. 20 day time is way better. 40 stops working for me when the sun comes up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I probably won't get the hang of it for a while, but I have set up flrig, ft8, and js8call set up. I will set up fldigi as well. Got my little box working.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I posted up a day and time just to get something started.

It'll be after the Tues night SSB net. There will be about 20 minutes or so between nets.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:
I posted up a day and time just to get something started.

It'll be after the Tues night SSB net. There will be about 20 minutes or so between nets.
View Quote

You may need to clarify your net time. 0100Z Tues is actually Monday evening local time. If you are planning on operating after the Tues evening SSB net, then that would be 0100Z Wednesday, or 2000 hrs CDT Tuesday evening.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I would only add for new digital folks; learn how to monitor your ALC meter to see if you are over driving your transmit signal.

Overdriving your signal, resulting in high ALC readings, causes issues.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By weaponeer1911:

You may need to clarify your net time. 0100Z Tues is actually Monday evening local time. If you are planning on operating after the Tues evening SSB net, then that would be 0100Z Wednesday, or 2000 hrs CDT Tuesday evening.
View Quote

Good point. I'll ditch the Zulu time or it might add confusion.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
I would only add for new digital folks; learn how to monitor your ALC meter to see if you are over driving your transmit signal.

Overdriving your signal, resulting in high ALC readings, causes issues.
View Quote

There is a good method up above on how to do this with the IC7300.  When i get some time, i hope to add some notes in the first few posts.

Another thing is people need to make sure that their clock is on the money.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Bkt Time Sync has worked well for me. Will take time over network or time from a GPS dongle if you are portable. Has seemed reliable once setup.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#17]
Starting on 12m moving to 80m in 10min intervals. Tuesday's, at these times, is this correct? Might miss a lot of Pacific guys during dinner time.

6pm PDT
8pm CDT
9pm EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Tonight I turned on js8 call and got all the settings dialed in. I was actually seeing some heartbeats, and a conversation. I sent out a cq, and one of the guys mentioned he heard me to the other guy. I had zero idea what I was doing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#19]
The bands have been ass so I’m super excited to see if I can get down there in JS8 today
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Tonight I turned on js8 call and got all the settings dialed in. I was actually seeing some heartbeats, and a conversation. I sent out a cq, and one of the guys mentioned he heard me to the other guy. I had zero idea what I was doing.
View Quote
This is a very good video on JS8
JS8Call from A-Z Covering the Basics to Advanced Settings In One Video

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Had a 15 minute chat with a guy in FL. the call sign was NA4ASA. He answered my only cq along with a couple other guys. they just wanted signal reports, but he called back with name and rig, so we talked. I found out I can get my ALC to zero using the amp and push out a strong clean signal. Cleaner than the radio alone. can you just type in @heartbeat to send out a heartbeat signal?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I might be operational.  
I am using wfview to connect my 705 to my win11 laptop via wifi.  

Long term I’d like to figure out a small server (prob raspberry pi) that I can use as a jump box to get through the starlink router so I can remote control from anywhere.

Anyways, I set up external control in wfview and point js8call at it.  Js8call passes the connect and transmit tests.  It appears to be listening and I tried a CQ but I never heard anyone else.  So idk.

Now I need to go back and confirm all the js8call settings and ALC stuff from earlier in thread.  

Are you guys saying the net starts at 9pm tonight and is 30 min per band so ends at midnight? I must be missing something
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#24]
Not sure I will make net tonight. It's right at dinner time and I am making pulled pork.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By taliv:
I think I might be operational.  
I am using wfview to connect my 705 to my win11 laptop via wifi.  

Long term I'd like to figure out a small server (prob raspberry pi) that I can use as a jump box to get through the starlink router so I can remote control from anywhere.

Anyways, I set up external control in wfview and point js8call at it.  Js8call passes the connect and transmit tests.  It appears to be listening and I tried a CQ but I never heard anyone else.  So idk.

Now I need to go back and confirm all the js8call settings and ALC stuff from earlier in thread.  

Are you guys saying the net starts at 9pm tonight and is 30 min per band so ends at midnight? I must be missing something
View Quote
You have your virtual com ports setup?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]
No idea
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By taliv:
No idea
View Quote
You would know because you have to download and setup if you are using wfview. Otherwise, just plug in a usb
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:27:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#28]
Oh yeah I have complete control of radio with wfview and get sound from laptop speakers.

Used wfview in the past
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#29]
In JS8Call  file>settings>audio, under modulation soundcard what does it say?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#30]
Btw 12m currently. Maybe I'll see you guys on 40m
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#31]
So 12m in a little more than an hour? Did I do time conversion correctly?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I believe so. I'm on 20m currently
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe so. I'm on 20m currently
View Quote

I'm on 12m for testing. Throwing out SNR? to @ARFCOM
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:07:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#34]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

I'm on 12m for testing. Throwing out SNR? to @ARFCOM
View Quote
Sending hb @arfcom on 12m... Yeah nothing. Moving back to 20m
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, 12m starts in about 15 minutes
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#36]
I am working somebody on 20m now....and now I remember why I don't like using JS8Call.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#37]
It is slow, for sure. Decent activity prener on 20m
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Just cause it's slow doesn't mean there's not propagation. Slow is good for what we're doing. 90% of JS8 activity seems to be on 20/40. Doesn't mean that's where our group needs to be for directed comms.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I don't really care for the mode, but the results seem to be very good. Any amount of real traffic sent or received would take forever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I got nothing on 12m
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Me neither. I'm throwing out an SNR? every 2 minutes per the band schedule. 15 or 17 should be g2g for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#42]
-17db into HI on 12m. Is AK listening on 12?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing on 15m for me

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Just cause it's slow doesn't mean there's not propagation. Slow is good for what we're doing. 90% of JS8 activity seems to be on 20/40. Doesn't mean that's where our group needs to be for directed comms.
View Quote

Eventually,  we should settle on a three or four bands, 20 and 40 being two of them. I figure we can try the different bands for a bit and see which others are a good fit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Def 20/40
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Eventually,  we should settle on a three or four bands, 20 and 40 being two of them. I figure we can try the different bands for a bit and see which others are a good fit.
View Quote

Agree, but I'm super curious about 30m. I think we might be able to get away with 15m during day and 30m at night based on some of my WSPR work, but this is very valid testing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I cam hear NE, IL x2. Partial decode of green dragon though (……)
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenDragon] [#48]
On 12m, I copied OR, NE, and IL, getting a response from IL.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Not hearing anyone on 12, running legal limit if you hear me at all.  12 seems kinda dead.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:
Not hearing anyone on 12, running legal limit if you hear me at all.  12 seems kinda dead.
View Quote

we are on 15m now. 17m at 20 min after the hour..
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top