BCM
User Panel

POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 53 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

If I can setup a time to take my 891 to my Elmer's (dad) house to mod it for 60m Tx, I will add a 60m JS8 Call window and just squeeze in between the FT8 signals on 5.357 Mhz
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I'm reasonably close in HF terms, maybe could set up something for 40m or the like in the daytime. In theory could do 60m also if I string out a dipole for it, I've never made a contact on 60 before

Higher band would probably get you out to AZ as long as propagation isn't compromised.

If you're building a "jungle antenna", 6 meters might be possible, you might get really lucky with some Es in the afternoon. Not sure if you'd have anyone local to talk to on 2m. 10m might be better or even 15 if you have a big enough tree.

If you had someone reasonably close for a demonstration 6m would be great to demo SSB vs FM.

For cheap disposable wire antennas I use aluminum electric fence wire. It's about $35 for a 1350 foot spool and works fine for wire antennas and ground radials. Can't solder to it but you're probably not going to be soldering out in the field anyway. While you're at the farm store you can get a 9000 foot spool of polypropylene baler twine if you need some cheap disposable cordage in high-vis orange.

Looking at your schedule, 5-6pm is going to be late in the day as far as sun... you'd have better conditions mid to late afternoon vs after sundown. If you're on the air during that sundown time it's instructive for folks to see how propagation changes.

If I can setup a time to take my 891 to my Elmer's (dad) house to mod it for 60m Tx, I will add a 60m JS8 Call window and just squeeze in between the FT8 signals on 5.357 Mhz

I was just thinking depending on conditions 40 might be too long for a shorter path... or it would be after sundown in which case could try 60. I doubt I'll have digital mode available.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I setup a scraper on the POTA site to finish my last 8 states.  It hits the site every 60sec and downloads a list of spots, filtering out all the states I already have and modes I can't do (like CW) and only shows spots under 5 min old.

After about 3 hours in WY shows up on FT8, so I turned the radio on and WSJTX and searched the logs for the activator.  At first I could only see people talking to him, then after a few minutes his transmissions appear at about -18 to -23.  Then I hit it and mission accomplished!  WY.  

7 left to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
I setup a scraper on the POTA site to finish my last 8 states.  It hits the site every 60sec and downloads a list of spots, filtering out all the states I already have and modes I can't do (like CW) and only shows spots under 5 min old.

After about 3 hours in WY shows up on FT8, so I turned the radio on and WSJTX and searched the logs for the activator.  At first I could only see people talking to him, then after a few minutes his transmissions appear at about -18 to -23.  Then I hit it and mission accomplished!  WY.  

7 left to go.
View Quote

If you want to work on that scraper/comparitor project I'm still interested, but it's beyond my software skills.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
At 3037 for the weekend. Probably won't be on tonight, but will be tomorrow. Mostly phone and 10-80 if the bands cooperate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
on 10m
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
on 10m
View Quote

Very noisy conditions from home today. Figured I could hear you on 20m, but no joy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Very noisy conditions from home today. Figured I could hear you on 20m, but no joy.
View Quote
Lots of noise complaints today.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Loud on 20m now. In the log.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
SFI 159 with SN 149

Only bothered to log one park on FT8, never did receive a RR73 but logged it anyways and he did submit it in his log. His signal was all over the place.

Tried to find ManicRat on 20 but only heard some other guys 500Hz below.

I've spent the cold rainy day watching stuff on YouTube while 5lbs of pork loin become BBQ in my crockpot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Loud on 20m now. In the log.
View Quote
I did nothing on 10m, ok on 15m. 20m was so so earlier in the day but fired up now. I did 50 in about 20 mins. Moved to 40m and it was so so. Waiting on the sun to go to see if 40m stretches out. Probably do some FT8 later for DX contacts.
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
SFI 159 with SN 149

Only bothered to log one park on FT8, never did receive a RR73 but logged it anyways and he did submit it in his log. His signal was all over the place.

Tried to find ManicRat on 20 but only heard some other guys 500Hz below.

I've spent the cold rainy day watching stuff on YouTube while 5lbs of pork loin become BBQ in my crockpot.
View Quote
It was kinda meh earlier in the day but got better by the afternoon for me. Got some decent QRP contacts. One fella was 5w from Iowa. Wasn't 59 of course, but he sounded alright.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody who has activated more than a few almost certainly has AD0BC in their log.   Saw K3JRZ's new video last night and learned of his passing on 12/31.

Nine times in my log with two on my first ever activation that spanned two zulu days.  Last QSOs while at Yellowstone and then finally at the Teddy Roosevelt NP while on the way back from MT.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Bummer. RIP, he was a regular hunter. Nice guy from what I remember too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Too bad I never met him. Used to spend a lot of time in the town he lived.

A lot of people from Ft. Leonard Wood ( Fort lost in the woods) live there.

Too close for me to get him in my log; daytime 40/80 would have been my only shot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Made a QSO to Swastika, Ontario today.

I guess the Canadian government has not got around to fixing that. Lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

The swastika has a long cultural history in North America Indian traditions, and other locations LONG before
the Nazi party appropriated that name and symbol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

The swastika has a long cultural history in North America Indian traditions, and other locations LONG before
View All Quotes

I am aware. The going trend seems to be to cancel/tear down anything that hurts feelings.

Google says the town was founded in 1908.

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]

I am aware. The going trend seems to be to cancel/tear down anything that hurts feelings.

Google says the town was founded in 1908.

View Quote
There is a building here and the builders corresponding house. Both have swastikas in the brick work. They were natives. Business building built in 1906 and house in 1920. The lefties locally lost their shit and still looked like fools when pointed out that ole Adolph was a teenager when the building was built and a no name WW1 vet when the house was built.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I think they're working on building a new national identity around it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#20]

View Quote

yep

before the nazis:

Native american types
Indians of the sub continent
central american tribal use
china
tibet
Japan
Ukraine, Russia, Finland and other vikings
Africa

It was a religious simple for many representing things like the sun or the north star for others, among a host of other associations.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#21]
Headed to K-EDIT.

Maybe 1630CST? Traffic depending

QRT. Drained this little battery I was testing faster than I expected running 50W.

Got my first Japan SSB running portable on 15m
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]
great day for hunting park to park and 10-10numbers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Good day for hunting.

I knocked out 4 of 5 remaining states.  AK, ME, DE, ND.

Only HI left.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]
chipping away

got two new ones last weekend

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Good day for hunting.

I knocked out 4 of 5 remaining states.  AK, ME, DE, ND.

Only HI left.
View Quote

@DarkLordVader

KC9WIB in HI on 15m FT8 currently.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#26]

@DarkLordVader

KC9WIB in HI on 15m FT8 currently.

View Quote
Thanks I saw him.  My 15m signal was just not hitting HI.  I was hitting Japan, Australia and NZ but not HI.  Probably the directional nodes from my 40m antenna.  I need to wait to see if these guys move to 20m.  I did hit HI with 20m yesterday, just not a POTA activator.

I have pretty good detection in place.  My computer prints this every 60sec.

Getting All Spots:
{"spotId":24402557,"activator":"KC9WIB","frequency":"21074.0","mode":"FT8","reference":"K-2226","spotTime":"2024-02-06T01:41:20","source":"RBN","name":"Wailua River State Park","locationDesc":"US-HI","count":23}
Total: 9  New:  1

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I was able to get him.  I put up a new 15m halfwave dipole on Sunday morning.  It's been working really well.   I can't use my tuner on 15m for some reason, radio goes deaf and apparently doesn't TX well either, and so can't do 15 with my G5RV Jr.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#28]
I was able to get him.  I put up a new 15m halfwave dipole on Sunday morning.  It's been working really well.   I can't use my tuner on 15m for some reason, radio goes deaf and apparently doesn't TX well either, and so can't do 15 with my G5RV Jr.
View Quote
He is dropping more signal north of me.  No hits to my AO in the last hour, so may just the mysteries of propagation or a beam from his side.

Maybe I will setup a 15m sloped dipole from my POTA kit pointed to HI to finish this.  Will watch over the next days/weeks.

He just shifted to 20m and is dropping signal into my town.

Got it on 20m!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Does it have memories set into it? If I switch antennas, a long press will bypass memories for tunes and look for a new tune (base model LDG)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#31]
Schedule for this Saturday 2-17-24.

APC event at a park in Missouri.

Should have APC from Arizona portable on the line as well

Attachment Attached File

If frequ are in use; i will start at the top of the band and scroll down to the 1st usable frequ
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RED_5:

I got AK for my 49th POTA state just the other day.. I thought that would never happen from FL with my modest hamstick setup..
I needed MT and ND until this morning.. and I picked up ND this morning with a lot of effort...
that'll be the 50/51 (DC as a wildcard) for the award.

I picked up a park in Portugal on FT8 the other day which got me the 10th DX park award

This morning, I worked on my new laptop and getting it set up for logging and getting the FT8 interface working with WSJT-X and GridTracker... gotta wring out all the bugs
for August when I'm going to activate the Dry Torguas.

Plan is to work the rest of the FL Key parks on the way back home.
View Quote
I was in your hood.  I activated FL St. Georges SP for my 25/51 states.  

It's one of my favorite stretches of Beach anywhere and I have seen quite a few.
I went down about 4-5 miles of undeveloped beach to go past where the last tracks
u-turned. After the first mile I saw about 3-4 people.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Does it have memories set into it? If I switch antennas, a long press will bypass memories for tunes and look for a new tune (base model LDG)
View Quote

Yes but that's not the problem.  On 15m it's like there is an incomplete circuit when the tuner is enabled.  I think there is something wrong with one of the tuner's internal components though they all look fine, nothing has obviously let out the magic smoke.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Yes but that's not the problem.  On 15m it's like there is an incomplete circuit when the tuner is enabled.  I think there is something wrong with one of the tuner's internal components though they all look fine, nothing has obviously let out the magic smoke.
View Quote

Can you test the tuner into a 50 ohm dummy load on 15m?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#36]
AK6U on 14.277
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:31:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#37]
just started HF recently. Ive been doing a little hunting on 10m with FT8. still working getting my logging setup so just hunting for now. its fun. Have all the hardware to do mobile just not setup yet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#40]

View Quote
I also got Mr Ham radio tube. got him on 10.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#41]
He's too close for me to get him. Same for KC5HWB. I did get him when he was out of state. Have had a couple with KB9VBR. Some of the others.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#42]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#43]
ZL1BQD is doing POTA on 15m FT8.  15 is still working this late, so got my first NZ POTA QSO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:07:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
Just worked K8MRD on FT-8 (15M)

I heard and tried to get KB9VBR, but no dice.. 15 has been full on crazy today
View Quote
did you get his logs on POTA? I have not received him yet. seems about 10-20% of my hunts I dont get credit for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
did you get his logs on POTA? I have not received him yet. seems about 10-20% of my hunts I dont get credit for.
View Quote
Some are slow at uploading as they do big batch uploads. But I've never not gotten a credit for a completed QSO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#48]
K7CAR. Yeah he's a good example of taking a while.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#49]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#50]
K7CAR. Yeah he's a good example of taking a while.
View Quote
I got him twice.
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 53 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top