BCM
User Panel

TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 3 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:20:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ridgedaddy:

Your concerns are my concerns. The only 10w model I'm aware of was the tri band with HF. That's why his comment is confusing to me.
View Quote
I have had hands-on time playing with a newer high power dual-band 152, the models that sell for about $300 on EBay.

On my power meter it reads about 3 watts on low, 5.5 watts on medium, and 8 (UHF) or 10 (VHF) on high.

It's also confusing, the box and sticker on the back of the radio implies it's the tri-band model, printed that its the 152 (U/V/H), but it's not.  It won't go to the 10 meter frequencies and has the antenna that comes with the dual band models, not the longer one they sold with the tri-band.   But this labeling confusion is probably why some sellers are saying they have the tri-band model.  Their product description technically matches what the radio and it's packaging/manual say they are, but that's also wrong.

It was stated before, TRI did a small limited run of tri-band models in early 2018, and they're all out in the wild now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:28:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#2]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I have had hands-on time playing with a newer high power dual-band 152, the models that sell for about $300 on EBay.

On my power meter it reads about 3 watts on low, 5.5 watts on medium, and 8 (UHF) or 10 (VHF) on high.

It's also confusing, the box and sticker on the back of the radio implies it's the tri-band model, printed that its the 152 (U/V/H), but it's not.  It won't go to the 10 meter frequencies and has the antenna that comes with the dual band models, not the longer one they sold with the tri-band.   But this labeling confusion is probably why some sellers are saying they have the tri-band model.  Their product description technically matches what the radio and it's packaging/manual say they are, but that's also wrong.

It was stated before, TRI did a small limited run of tri-band models in early 2018, and they're all out in the wild now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Your concerns are my concerns. The only 10w model I'm aware of was the tri band with HF. That's why his comment is confusing to me.

Yep, on fleabay they have two versions of the TRI 152; the 10W and the 5W. The 10W comes with the 12.6v battery, and the 5W version comes with the 8.4v battery. Whether the 5W version can go to 10W if you slap a 12.6v battery on it, I don’t know, as I didn’t buy that version.

I also found a source for real PRC 152 batteries, picked up a few of those, some Harris CR123 battery cases, and some Harris AA battery cases.

There’s also a site selling real PRC-152 30-512 MHz short blade broadband antennas too, as opposed to the cheap antennas that come with the radios. ETA site is called Disco32, in case anybody is interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#3]
I promised I’d show something cool that can be done with these. It’s going to be nice not having to carry separate batteries for separate devices anymore.

The next one I do will be with Anderson Powerpoles so it’s device agnostic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I love the 152. The market needs to provide me an HT that has 6pin, is durable, and has good batteries. Until they do the Chinese 152 is the king.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
I promised I'd show something cool that can be done with these. It's going to be nice not having to carry separate batteries for separate devices anymore.

https://i.ibb.co/1b6PHDS/2-AD293-EE-FCDA-41-EE-9-ADA-82-C3-DCBB6-B40.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcx8FCHW8ec

The next one I do will be with Anderson Powerpoles so it's device agnostic.
View Quote
Not bad, I see the battery adapter piece and the male power connectors are sold on Ebay.  Works with the 152 pattern battery as well I assume?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#6]
Agreed. As well, I absolutely love the Abbreeeeeeee antennas.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450004/8FAA7FEC-3631-401C-B8C7-5B1F7C73C206_jpeg-1094512.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450004/BDE71527-268D-4D28-A127-E0A18B3CDA5E_jpeg-1094513.JPG

I love the 152. The market needs to provide me an HT that has 6pin, is durable, and has good batteries. Until they do the Chinese 152 is the king.
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450004/8FAA7FEC-3631-401C-B8C7-5B1F7C73C206_jpeg-1094512.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450004/BDE71527-268D-4D28-A127-E0A18B3CDA5E_jpeg-1094513.JPG

The connectors are slightly different on the 148 vs 152 for retaining the battery to the radio body. I can check the fitment on a 152 battery tonight when I get home. If not, I guarantee you that Battaxx will have a similar adapter for 152s, or make one if you ask them. The only issue that could arise from the 152 vs 148 for powering external equipment is that the 148 batteries output at 12.6V, whereas the 152 batteries output at 10.4V if my recollection serves me. If your external radio will run on voltage as low as 10.4, you'd be in business. The X5105 will run between 9-15V, which is pretty forgiving.

I also stumbled across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Dynamics-Military-Digital-Radio-Transceiver-USB-Headset-Audio-Adapter/192046413625?hash=item2cb6dbb739:g:ldEAAOSwImRYJNp~

For $30ish bucks, I may pick one up and slap a SINCGARS W4 jumper cable on it, and see if it will work as a TNC for the clones. If not, there are some U/229-to-Kenwood adapters floating around that should work with a Signalink USB.

Not bad, I see the battery adapter piece and the male power connectors are sold on Ebay.  Works with the 152 pattern battery as well I assume?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MustyWaffles] [#7]
Did you get the TCA 148 in yet? I just ordered another abree today. The 42 inch. You know the abree antennas will work on the 152, the blade will screw into the provided antenna for the 152.

The connectors are slightly different on the 148 vs 152 for retaining the battery to the radio body. I can check the fitment on a 152 battery tonight when I get home. If not, I guarantee you that Battaxx will have a similar adapter for 152s, or make one if you ask them. The only issue that could arise from the 152 vs 148 for powering external equipment is that the 148 batteries output at 12.6V, whereas the 152 batteries output at 10.4V if my recollection serves me. If your external radio will run on voltage as low as 10.4, you'd be in business. The X5105 will run between 9-15V, which is pretty forgiving.

http://thumb3.zeppy.io/d/l400/pict/192884625561/general-dynamics-military-digital-radio-transceiver-usb-headset-audio-adapter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Dynamics-Military-Digital-Radio-Transceiver-USB-Headset-Audio-Adapter/192046413625?hash=item2cb6dbb739:g:ldEAAOSwImRYJNp~

For $30ish bucks, I may pick one up and slap a SINCGARS W4 jumper cable on it, and see if it will work as a TNC for the clones. If not, there are some U/229-to-Kenwood adapters floating around that should work with a Signalink USB.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The only issue that could arise from the 152 vs 148 for powering external equipment is that the 148 batteries output at 12.6V, whereas the 152 batteries output at 10.4V if my recollection serves me. If your external radio will run on voltage as low as 10.4, you'd be in business. The X5105 will run between 9-15V, which is pretty forgiving.
View Quote
My mcHF clone QRP radio rates 9-13 VDC in, so it might work for that or other "QRP" type HF rigs.  Also the TRI made batteries with the 10W 152 are about 12.0-12.4V.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]

http://thumb3.zeppy.io/d/l400/pict/192884625561/general-dynamics-military-digital-radio-transceiver-usb-headset-audio-adapter

View Quote
I found this thread on Steel Soldiers talking about doing just that. It looks like the guy gave up on it because the audio level from the radio was extremely high and he was having issues with PTT.

I think it would be better to use a regular sound card interface (bought or built) using a U229 connector. I'll probably build one when my 152 gets here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the designation for the amplified speaker that you can connect to a radio and then plug a handset into that? Google is failing me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

Yep, on fleabay they have two versions of the TRI 152; the 10W and the 5W. The 10W comes with the 12.6v battery, and the 5W version comes with the 8.4v battery. Whether the 5W version can go to 10W if you slap a 12.6v battery on it, I don’t know, as I didn’t buy that version.

I also found a source for real PRC 152 batteries, picked up a few of those, some Harris CR123 battery cases, and some Harris AA battery cases.

There’s also a site selling real PRC-152 30-512 MHz short blade broadband antennas too, as opposed to the cheap antennas that come with the radios. ETA site is called Disco32, in case anybody is interested.
View Quote
Disco32 has some nice stuff. Their PTT works well with Baofengs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#12]
Originally Posted By KPog:

Disco32 has some nice stuff. Their PTT works well with Baofengs.
View Quote
A lot of their stuff they're just re-selling surplus items.  The stuff they actually make is iffy at best.  My amplified PTT for Baofengs from them didn't amplify.

I tested their vest mounted antenna and the SWR was incomprehensible.  And as you would expect, any bending or weaving of it would shift the readings all over the map, and it was never anywhere approaching decent.  If you look under the outer net/wrap material, it's obvious it's just a piece of coax with parts of the shield stripped away.  Doesn't look like a coax-dipole or something obvious like that, I might take it to bits and see what exactly they were trying to accomplish, but as it sits I wouldn't use it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

If it did 6M and had specs at least as good as a VX-5R I'd think about it if the price wasn't absurd. But yeah, if it Did P25 I'd be all over it.
View Quote
P25 would be nice. Just conventional is fine.

A low band would be great for SAR and EMA groups to cover all 3 bands in one radio.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:26:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#14]
Negative. It hasn't hit customs yet, so I'm fully expecting to have to sit on my hands for at least another week.

Did you get the TCA 148 in yet? I just ordered another abree today. The 42 inch. You know the abree antennas will work on the 152, the blade will screw into the provided antenna for the 152.
View Quote
9-13 would absolutely give you complete use of the 152 batteries/packs/etc. Good to know on the TRI batts. I have a couple, along with a literal boatload of issued Harris 10.4V batteries.

My mcHF clone QRP radio rates 9-13 VDC in, so it might work for that or other "QRP" type HF rigs.  Also the TRI made batteries with the 10W 152 are about 12.0-12.4V.
View Quote
I actually sifted through that a good bit prior to hitting the "Buy-it-Now" button. I'll monkey with the Upper Signal Level in FLDigi. If that doesn't work, I'll make an attempt at adjusting the USB Audio levels in Windows. If all else fails, the difference might fall in the ability of the TRI's to go from amplified audio output, to non-amplified. The PRC-138, I believe, is strictly amplfied on the microphone out. If that doesn't work, I'm out a couple of beers and a Fajita dinner. I still have the U/229-to-Kenwood adapters, so a USB Signalink + Baofeng cable should work if the General Dynamics unit turns out to be a turd. I'll definitely let you guys know how it works out for me using the TRI.

Contingency plan for audio interface:

Originally Posted By phurba:

I found this thread on Steel Soldiers talking about doing just that. It looks like the guy gave up on it because the audio level from the radio was extremely high and he was having issues with PTT.

I think it would be better to use a regular sound card interface (bought or built) using a U229 connector. I'll probably build one when my 152 gets here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Dont worry they wont. Long live king.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ASRM:
P25 would be nice. Just conventional is fine.

A low band would be great for SAR and EMA groups to cover all 3 bands in one radio.
View Quote
I just want 6m out of one of these.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d just about do a flip for a 10m SSB HT.

Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

I just want 6m out of one of these.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
MRC-165?

What's the designation for the amplified speaker that you can connect to a radio and then plug a handset into that? Google is failing me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d just about do a flip for a 10m SSB HT.
View Quote
Ok 6m fm and 10m ssb if we are making a wishlist. You do know there are 10m ssb HTs right?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
How is this different from chi-com bootleg counterfeit LARUE, AIMPOINT, fakes ???

https://www.aimpoint.com/support/counterfeitcopies/how-to-recognize-a-fake-aimpoint-sight/

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Aside from the aesthetics and acceptance of real batteries, antennas, and accessories, I would say if a person was trying to sell one for around $10,000 to $15,000, advertised it as a Harris vs. TRI/TCA, and said it could operate within 30-512MHz range, then maybe there would be some deception. Otherwise, it seems more like selling an AR-15 with M4 CARBINE engraved on the side when in fact it isn't select fire?

Is it kind of poser-ish from an aesthetics point of view? I guess, but I don't think this is really the reason people are buying them - more than they are for the ruggedness of them, and how easy they are to integrate into real comms headsets. If these were competing with Harris sales-wise, it might also be an issue, but how many people do you know that own a real civy-legal version of the 152 (RF 7800V-HH)? They're pretty hard to come by, and super expensive.

At least, that's my take on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#22]
View Quote
Typical ARFCOM counterfeit nonsense.

Nerdy men playing dress up just seems foolish to me.  Buy the real thing if you want to be truly impressive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

Typical ARFCOM counterfeit nonsense.

Nerdy men playing dress up just seems foolish to me.
View Quote
Meh, I was an RTO. For me there is an element of nostalgia. Now if only I could get a 150 clone, because I loved (hated) it so much, especially jumping combat loads.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Counterfeit commando thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54857/IMG_0407_PNG-1095069.JPG

Counterfeit commando thread.
View Quote
Checks to see if I'm posting in GD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#26]
RTOs:

The only guys in the unit with thicker quads and stronger backs than the Weapons Squad dudes.

Meh, I was an RTO. For me there is an element of nostalgia. Now if only I could get a 150 clone, because I loved (hated) it so much, especially jumping combat loads.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#27]
RTOs:

The only guys in the unit with thicker quads and stronger backs than the Weapons Squad dudes.

View All Quotes
RTOs:

Nah, I would have taken my 150, extra batteries, an ELPA kit, etc. over a 240 any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
You serious? Point me to another HT that supports dynamic/moving coil mics as well as being aluminum shelled and being ipx7, as well as supporting 6pin accessories.

I could care less if it said Harris on it. I want a radio with specific features, not my fault the Chinese are the only ones making something worth having.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice. I really want to pick up one of those Abbree long bois.

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice. I really want to pick up one of those Abbree long bois.
View Quote
This 42incher works GREAT.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn right

This 42incher works GREAT.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Fkn wow, bruh!

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Dang! What’s the reason for so many?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Last time I checked this was still America? He doesn’t have to answer stupid questions like that.

I have a gang of xts3000s that I wouldn’t mind replacing with a pile like that.

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Do it. I sold off my 6 Astro Sabers and should have immediately converted them into Pricks.

Last time I checked this was still America? He doesn’t have to answer stupid questions like that.

I have a gang of xts3000s that I wouldn’t mind replacing with a pile like that.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/204273/FAD9704D-923B-460A-BE0B-B321283C1625-849765.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Because my friends, family, and myself are paranoid? Haha. But no, mainly because I can afford it, and some of my friends and family cannot. It's kind of like having multiple ARs with spares, an ammo stash, lots of mags, food storage, generators, etc. I've given out already a few of these radios to my brother, mom, and a friend or two, while also urging them to study up and get at least their technician license. But I've also gifted ARs and other things in the past as well. Just trying to help those in need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Do it. I sold off my 6 Astro Sabers and should have immediately converted them into Pricks.
View Quote
It will likely happen. I have something like 50 Motorola radios at last count

Those 3000s have been used at a bunch of Cola Wars and other events and have been super handy.

Does anyone make a gang charger for the 152s that is obtainable and isn't $5000?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#41]

It will likely happen. I have something like 50 Motorola radios at last count

Those 3000s have been used at a bunch of Cola Wars and other events and have been super handy.

Does anyone make a gang charger for the 152s that is obtainable and isn't $5000?
View Quote
There are currently a couple of the THALES 8 bay chargers (which normally go for about $3K, correction $4K) for about $500 on fleabay. I'm not sure if these work with the TRI/TCA batteries, but if you've bought real 152 batteries, it would work.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#42]

There are currently a couple of the THALES 8 bay chargers (which normally go for about $3K, correction $4K) for about $500 on fleabay. I'm not sure if these work with the TRI/TCA batteries, but if you've bought real 152 batteries, it would work.
View Quote
Hrm. How can I identify a real 152 battery? And who sells them?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an unholy amount of 152 batteries I may sell.

The charger linked above will work with 152 or 148 batteries.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#44]

View All Quotes

American Milspec sells a "4 pack" of them for $100 bucks, so $25 bucks a pop. Surplus, but I've bought some of these and charged and tested the batteries and they're good to go.

I have an unholy amount of 152 batteries I may sell.

The charger linked above will work with 152 or 148 batteries.
If you can beat 25 bucks a pop, I'd be interested!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Depends on if we are talking about AA packs, CR-123 packs, TRI batteries, or Harris Batteries.

American Milspec sells a "4 pack" of them for $100 bucks, so $25 bucks a pop. Surplus, but I've bought some of these and charged and tested the batteries and they're good to go.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

That's a 4-bay charger btw.  It can charge 8 batteries, but not 8 MBITR batteries.  It's only got 4 spots for MBITR/152 batteries unless I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody know if the remote port is intelligible enough to use with a vehicular adapter?

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

So on another one of their pages:

Modify a Harris PRC-152 Battery to work with Airsoft TRI Replica Radios.

The TRI Replica PRC-152 Radios are a pretty close match to the real thing, however, the batteries are a different voltage than the Harris batteries, and they cannot be charged with any of the real Harris accessories.

This service will provide a modification to your supplied Harris PRC-152 battery to make it work on a TRI type replica radio.  You will still be able to charge the Harris battery with any Harris chargers.  Furthermore, your battery will then work to power the TRI radio.

Note that after this mod is performed, the Harris battery will no longer be compatible with a real Harris radio.  Connecting it to a Harris radio may cause damage.  Since this modification requires cutting open the battery and re-epoxying it together, there may be slightly noticeable evidence of the battery reassembly, but we will do everything we can to keep it looking nice.
Is that just for the previous gen of radios?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#49]
That’s only necessary on the really old first gen, plastic-bodied units.

So on another one of their pages:

Is that just for the previous gen of radios?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I promised I’d show something cool that can be done with these. It’s going to be nice not having to carry separate batteries for separate devices anymore.

https://i.ibb.co/1b6PHDS/2-AD293-EE-FCDA-41-EE-9-ADA-82-C3-DCBB6-B40.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcx8FCHW8ec

The next one I do will be with Anderson Powerpoles so it’s device agnostic.
View Quote
Check out Battax. They make snap on USB dual port converters. Super handy.
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 3 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top