Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 1:52:59 PM EDT
Cleaning out an old storage room.  One of the items in there that probably belonged to my grandfather is an antique phillips Philco cabinet radio.  Thing is big - maybe 30" wide, 30" tall, 16" deep give or take.   I've no idea if it works - its been stored for decades.  

I have no idea what to do with it.  We don't really have room for it in the house, even if I repurposed the cabinet I don't think there is a viable spot for it.

I haven't got it cleared out enough to get a picture of it yet.

I hate to landfill it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ebay it
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't plug it in.  Because even if it works, it probably won't work for long, and you could do some damage.  Those old radios used wax paper capacitors, and over time they break down.  The electrolytic capacitors are probably shot, too.

Some of us here have  restored old radios, and there is a (limited) demand for them, especially if they are in good cosmetic shape.  It probably won't bring much money, but it's possible that someone would pay a little for it.  Try to find the model number, and then check around on Craigslist or eBay to see what prices similar radios are bringing.  Not easy to ship one that size, so Craigslist may be your best option.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Member Edisla is the person you need to ask about it. He restores these radios and has a few threads but the photos are gone in the Great Photobucket Photo Massacre. I'd PM him.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Several of us restore old radios.

Is it a Phillips, or Philco? Phillips is/was a UK manufacturer and made few, if any, console radios. Their main products were table model sets.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm just here before the picts.
Lets see it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I should be back to the storage bldg tomorrow.  I have it where I can get at it now so I will photograph.

Thanks for the input so far.  I was tempted to plug it in and see if it works - didn't think about degradation of the components, but was concerned about the accumulated dust exploding or something.

I'll double check on the phillips/philco mfg as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
While you're at it,  figure out what a question is.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Member Edisla is the person you need to ask about it. He restores these radios and has a few threads but the photos are gone in the Great Photobucket Photo Massacre. I'd PM him.
View Quote
@Edisla
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Some day I'll own one of those old cabinets. I think it would be cool to have a AM or multi band in the living room. Tube radios have a certain sound.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Please don't repurpose it. 

Also DO NOT plug it in.

Have any pics?

Front, back, insides, and all around.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's funny and sad at the same time 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It is Philco.  It had a turntable at one time - that is gone.  Radio guts still there.  Side panels missing - not sure what they would have been.
(not missing - they were left open for record storage)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks pretty solid.

Wonder how hard it would be to find the phonograph that goes in there.

Could restore it and then casually look for the phono.

ETA: looks like a 49-1607 AM/FM Phono
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#14]
yup, I think so.  Uses a model M9 record player.  

I haven't tried cleaning or polishing the cabinet so I'm not sure what kind of shape it is in as far as scratches and gouges.  I'll try to get it home in the next couple of days to look at it closer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
yup, I think so.  Uses a model M9 record player.  

I haven't tried cleaning or polishing the cabinet so I'm not sure what kind of shape it is in as far as scratches and gouges.  I'll try to get it home in the next couple of days to look at it closer.
View Quote
Look up using GoJo hand cleaner, non pumas type.

Actually you should fix any raised or missing verneer first. Gojo may become a problem if you use that first then try to glue stuff down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Minature tubes and AM/FM, so it's probably '50s or '60s.

ETA: Info here.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]
First I'd figure out if I wanted to keep it.

Then I wouldn't even worry about the cabinet until you get it functioning.

I usually start by checking the important items. Power transformer, coils, and then replace any visibly busted parts. After that replace all the electrolytic and paper caps. Test and replace any bad tubes.

Once that is done bring the unit up slowly with a variac and monitoring current draw.

After I know it has potential for life I then go through resistors and any other parts that don't fail as easily as the caps to make sure they are good.

I then go through chassis clean up and painting.

Once that is all done you can do an alignment.

Then you can start working on the cabinet. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like it might have selenium rectifiers.  Those should probably be replaced, too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like it might have selenium rectifiers.  Those should probably be replaced, too.
View Quote
Definitely replace it! You haven't smelled stink until you've experienced a selemium rectifier failure. You'd think a herd of pissed off skunks stampeded through your shop. The fumes are said to be toxic, too.
A 1N4007 diode will do the trick. They're cheap, so if you're going to be working with electronics and you need one, buy a half-dozen of more.

If you can't find a changer, you could mount a CD player in the turntable base. The changer had a crystal phono cartridge which has a high (relatively) level audio output. The line out from a CD player would probably work with it just fine. If not, a matching network of a couple of resistors and maybe a capacitor should bring the output into range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top