Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 6:02:17 PM EDT
Or other connectors that include some kind of gasket(s) within the assembly?

If so, from where do you obtain replacement gasket material?

It has been a long time since I assembled N-connectors on some outdoor cables. The cable is no longer good, but I should be able to salvage the connectors.

IIRC with some of the connectors that I have used in the past (Amphenol?) screwing in the 'rear end' of the connector would have a tendency to cut through the red-rubberish gasket (by design? or was I doing it incorrectly?).
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
New cable gets new connectors...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Life is too short to reuse coaxial connectors, outside of emergency/shtf type scenarios.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Life is too short to reuse coaxial connectors, outside of emergency/shtf type scenarios.
View Quote
I wouldn't normally think of reusing a PL-259 unless it were a SHTF or other Macguyver situation.

N connectors only use solder for the center pin, but (unlike a PL-259) not for the shield.

So disassembling and reassembling an N connector theoretically should be a piece of cake. But it may be necessary to replace the gasket, and maybe the center pin, depending on how well you can remove old solder blobs (heat, then bang on the table method works - don't do that with others around, and wear eye pro).

The gasket in this assembly diagram is the type that has a V groove, and that's the type that I'm concerned may split with pressure of the nut against the clamp:

https://www.amphenolrf.com/downloads/dl/file/id/60

So I'm wondering whether there are N-connector "rebuild kits" available - I haven't found any yet, but I'll continue looking.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Why waist the time? Even new silver plated connectors are cheap...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why waist the time? Even new silver plated connectors are cheap...
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep an eye on ebay. That's where I ordered them last. Got around 8 of them (silver plated N for LMR-400) for around $30 or so.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep an eye on ebay. That's where I ordered them last. Got around 8 of them (silver plated N for LMR-400) for around $30 or so.
View Quote
Were those the compression type, or the solder type (which I have no experience using), or crimp type?

I will have to keep an eye out for that type of deal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I am cheap. I have salvaged PL259s. I haven't tried with the ones that have adapters for RG58 or RG8X but ones that were used on RG8 I have re-used. I am not at the threshold where my free time is so valuable I can't take the time to clean them up and use them again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Were those the compression type, or the solder type (which I have no experience using), or crimp type?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are solder on. But I've seen crimp also. I don't have a real preference either way except for mobile applications where I prefer crimp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top