Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 2:55:16 PM EDT
Just curious.  I got my ticket a week ago, and have been listening every day for a couple weeks, but still haven't pressed the button.

Is that weird?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I did the first day, but I lived in a rural location without many folks on the local repeater, so it was more of a "(CALLSIGN), monitoring" transmission. Was a week or two before I actually talked to anybody. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I tested for Tech and ended up passing General, so I had to order an HF rig and wait for it to show up.

But I was on the air as soon as I had a wire in the air.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
When I got my license, it was nearly a 2 1/2 month wait from testing until I got my license in the mail.

I called my elmer within minutes after getting the envelope in the mail, and we made a QSO IIRC within the hour. I had a borrowed HT waiting for the license to arrive.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I did things in stages.  First thing I did was go after the license. It took me  three sessions, over about a month, to go from nothing to extra.    Then it was close to two months before I actually got on the air, because I didn't have a radio, or appropriate ham shack.  I spent that two months putting in a grounding system, putting an antenna in the attic, getting a desk, etc.  Finally, I got a K3 kit, and built the radio.  As soon as it was completed, I got on the air with 10 big watts of power.   Then I took the rig back apart to add in the 100 watt amp.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I got my license, it was nearly a 2 1/2 month wait from testing until I got my license in the mail.

I called my elmer within minutes after getting the envelope in the mail, and we made a QSO IIRC within the hour. I had a borrowed HT waiting for the license to arrive.
View Quote
Mine was almost four months.  I passed my Technician test in early November 1993 and my ticket showed up in the mail in early March 1994  - a couple of days shy of exactly 4 months!

I had got an HT, 5/8 wave antenna and other items for Christmas, so I had several months of listening!

To compare, my son got his Tech license a week after taking the test with ARRL VEC.  If he would have gone with the other VEC that files electronically, he would have had it even quicker!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in ATL when it posted to the ULS. I had my Wouxun HT, but no freqs for that area.  As soon as I was back home in the shadow of the repeater, I called out 'KK4BravoRomeoMike New Ham Radio Check' , and it's been on ever since.

Press the button and GOTA!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine on a lark. Saw an exam scheduled at the local library that morning, studied for an hour, went down there and passed it. Hell, I didn't even own a radio. I borrowed a 2m mobile a couple of months later and got on the air that night. Immediately hated VHF op's. Gave the radio back. About 6 months later got an HF rig and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I made my first contact the second my license posted.

With my son with HTs and  both of us in the kitchen
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Less than 5 minutes. I already had the rig on listening when the mail man delivered my ticket.

4 minutes of that time was opening the envelope and trying to quickly memorize my call.

The next minute was dialing through 10 meters and finding a DX station to contact.

I still had to look at my ticket and recite my call back to the guy on the other end.

Kind of embarrassing, but hey, I was on the air!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
A matter of minutes. The one tube crystal controlled transmitter and two stage regenerative receiver had already been built and the folded dipole was up. I think the first station I worked (from southeastern NC) was in Coshocton, OH. One of the first QSLs I received was from Wyoming and had a Pronghorn Antelope on it. I'd never seen one before.

Unfortunately my early QSLs and logbooks were tossed when my Mother went into one of her cleaning frenzies while I was at college.

Okay, okay, since the statute of limitations has long since run out, I did load the transmitter into the antenna in the wee small hours of a few mornings before my Novice ticket arrived.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
First contact? About 5 years before I was licensed. My dad is a ham. I used his call sign. Then I had to be a licensed SWL for a year before I could apply for a real call sign.  When I picked up my new license, a bunch of CW contacts were made on the same day, on 80 meters.
Everything has been backwards with me. 7 years passed after being licensed and being very active on HF, before I made my first contact on 2 meters FM.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
That evening.  There was a group of us from the CB that jumped over during the no-code tech boom of the 90's.  I was one of the last few.  I had the radio for about 2 months and had been listening to them on 2M simplex and talking to them on the CB so it was just a freq shift for me. 

13 weeks and 3 days for the wait time from test to paper license.  My dad was happy i was bringing in the mail all spring and summer tho. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Tested on a Saturday morning at a hamfest 120 miles from home.  Passed Tech, General, and Extra all in one sitting.
Called my good friend and Elmer from the hamfest, who congratulated me on the grand slam.  

"What are you doing for a radio?" he asked.  "Dunno, I have to do some shopping.  Don't have a clue what to get." I
replied.  

UPS rang the doorbell the following Wednesday.  A big box with radio, tuner, power supply from my Elmer... what a
surprise!!!

A note inside said:

"Here, one of my field radios... use it until you decide what you want to buy."  It was a Yaesu FT-897 with the FP-30 built
in power supply, and an LDG AT-897 tuner bolted on the side.  A complete "shack in the box".  

Worked on converting my former SWL dipole to ham use by adding two pairs of elements, making it a 75m/40m/20m fan
dipole.  That took Thursday and Friday.

My license was listed on the FCC site Thursday evening.

Saturday morning, 09:27 local time, I made a 20 m contact with my Elmer, who was 1016 miles away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Passed Tech, General, and Extra all in one sitting.
View Quote
I passed 4 tests in one (long) sitting and that only got me a General Too easy these days
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Licensed fall 15, I spoke more the other night during a drill on a govt freq (ucall 40D)than I did on ham freqs since licensed.
I listen.......a LOT!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Update.  I downloaded a logging app for my ipad....and still havent pushed the button.

I have been listening on the HT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
very first day

10meter SSB, used a CB base antenna

caught  a 6 lander calling CQ

he was so excited that he was my first QSO, he mailed a nice card the same day

to this day, I love 10meters and getting paper QSL cards

california seemed like real DX at the time

later that day, me and a friend who tested with me played on 2meter simplex, and got into a local repeater

-----

then and now, i've never enjoyed 2m/440 repeaters much

not weird....2m/440 hams can be a clickish bunch

find a repeater with echo-link and i'm sure some ARFCOM hams will greet you

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I passed 4 tests in one (long) sitting and that only got me a General Too easy these days
View Quote
Though not in ham radio until 9 years ago, I've been involved in electronics since childhood.  Mostly audio
gear.  Until then, my RF experience was antennas for AM/FM tuners and receivers, and doing filter mods.  
Also, I was a SWL'er for several years before sitting for the tests.  I'd been a SWL'er on and off since a
kid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. I believe I had to pass Novice, Technician, General, plus two Morse Code tests (5 and 13 WPM). A total of 5 tests to get my General, if I remember correctly. I also passed 20 WPM CW test during the same session and they gave me a certificate so I did not have to do this again when I went for Advanced and Extra.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep. I believe I had to pass Novice, Technician, General, plus two Morse Code tests (5 and 13 WPM). A total of 5 tests to get my General, if I remember correctly. I also passed 20 WPM CW test during the same session and they gave me a certificate so I did not have to do this again when I went for Advanced and Extra.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shouldn't have had to do both 5 and 13. The test procedure was supposed to start with the 20wpm test and go down in speed. I managed to pass the 13 so never took the 5.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Called the FCC's 800 number from the payphone at school every day after I took my test until they gave me my callsign.

When my dad picked me up he brought my shiny new HTX-202 and I ID'd on it before I even said hi to him
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I've my tech the better part of a year. I listen sometimes, but I've never said anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shouldn't have had to do both 5 and 13. The test procedure was supposed to start with the 20wpm test and go down in speed. I managed to pass the 13 so never took the 5.
View Quote
I remember clearly, they started slow and I had to take each CW test. I was not planning to take the 20 WPM test but the VE guys talked me into this.  This was back in Kansas but should not make a difference.
The worst part was how the test was given. They played it from a cassette player through a large loud speaker. The audio quality was terrible and the room was large, with so much echo that made it very hard to copy anything. LOL. I should have taken the Advanced and Extra at the same time but did not want to get embarrassed if I failed because I did not study much. I only read the Tech and General manuals the night before the exam.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I passed the written tech and 5wmp CW  in 1993

was a "tech-plus" and could operate SSB 10mters and HF CW

then passed the General and Advanced written, and failed the 13wpm test

VE's recommenced I go home and call CQ on CW  ( yikes)

I did, and when I came back a month later, I knew I'd pass the 13, and did.

skipped over general and got my advanced in 1994

Here's one of my favorite QSL cards

Then the Klinton assualt weapons ban came, and I sold my radio gear to buy guns

I remained an Advanced until after they dropped the CW requirement, so I never heard the 20wpm test.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I remained an Advanced until after they dropped the CW requirement, so I never heard the 20wpm test.
View Quote
I was advanced until they changed the speed down to 5wpm. I took the Extra several times in the interim, always passed the written and never could pass the 20wpm.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
day one
first QSO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#27]
yep

I remember thinking my new issued 2x2 advanced call was cool as hell.

the cool guys were advanced

the dumbshits were techs bitching that 5wmp was too hard

.....but the extras were fucking weirdos

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#28]
another 1993 card

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top