Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 4:42:40 PM EDT
Two hour QRP, CW contest on Sunday night.  It runs from 2100-2300, Eastern Standard Time.

Details here
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't hear anything on 20m, and no response when I call CQ.  Don't have my 40m antenna up, so this is a total waste of time.

Oh well....
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The bands are completely dead today. In the late afternoon I checked 6, 15, 20, 40, 80 and heard 3 stations.

Yesterday was better. 15 was open into the early afternoon before it turned off like a switch. Ended up with 120 contacts in the RTTY contest.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't hear anything on 20m, and no response when I call CQ.  Don't have my 40m antenna up, so this is a total waste of time.

Oh well....
View Quote
A friend of mine lives in a hardcore HOA community in Arizona. Obviously he can't have any permanent antennas. What he did was install a "Butternut" HF9V vertical at ground level with lots on-ground radials. The antenna is mounted on a hinge. He can raise or lower it in less than a minute. This worked fairly well for him. It's not a Yagi at 100 ft but it gets him on the air. He raises the antenna after sundown and lowers it at sunrise. No one in HOA has noticed it yet but he was penalized for having his truck parked next to his house with one of the tires flat. Un-freaking-believable!
A ground mounted, longest "Tarheel" mobile antenna (with radials) may be another good option. Being relatively low, it won't be very visible from the street. You can add a few fake plastic leaves or small branches.
My hat is off to you for having patience and persistence with the attic antenna. It can be very frustrating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top