Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2017 9:20:18 AM EDT
Need a couple of good pulleys for this type 1/4" rope.
Amazon Product
  • Excellent UV and abrasion resistance
  • Low-Stretch, Fade Resistant
  • Suited for long term outdoor applications

Local hardware store models don't look like something I want to rely on for years of service out in the weather 75' up a tree. To be honest I used one pulley on my last fan dipole, it started getting rough to roll after a few years. The other end just draped over a huge tree. Worked fine but not ideal. When a limb took down one end, I noticed the outer braid was beginning to fray. Needed a pulley to prevent rubbing.

Also, what works better, swivel or no swivel?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
New Ham here who has no fixed station yet, but planning one. When I visited one location on Field Day they had pulleys in trees to string their antennas each year for FD. Large pulleys that look like clothesline pulleys, on a rope tied over a limb, the rope down is put up each year by the local fire department so is not permanent.

I ended up buying 1.5 or 2" nickle plated pulleys at Lowe's/Home Depot and 850 (with Kevlar strand) Paracord from ParacordKing.com with the intent of stringing an antenna between trees this Fall.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I would just be sure it is stainless.

Other than that the only issue I have had with pulleys have been if they have large gaps between wheel and frame.  I smashticated the last one I used to minimize the gap.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Smashticated

I should have used your method. I did use a stainless model, but the roller got rough & had play.

My rope choice is not final, just using it for an example. I used the 3/16" last time & it works fine as well, figured 1/4" couldn't hurt. 5/16" is way overkill & expensive for a simple dipole.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Harken or ronstan blocks.  I prefer Harken.

Anything you find at a hardware store will suck.

http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=363

http://www.ronstan.com/marine/#

This will handle 1/4" line.  Add a good stainless shackle and you'll be set for a long time.  $16.00

http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5627&taxid=424
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out West Marine for some stainless ones.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Harken or ronstan blocks.  I prefer Harken.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all, marine grade makes perfect sense.

What do you think of these swivel type? I'm thinking this may be better choice cause I know from experience the thing will be twisted umpteen ways from Sunday before I get it anchored.

This: 29mm with Swivel & a smaller version that will handle 1/4" line: 22 mm with shackle

Don't mind paying a little extra as I plan to leave it up a long while & can always use them for my next wire.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would just be sure it is stainless.

Other than that the only issue I have had with pulleys have been if they have large gaps between wheel and frame.  I smashticated the last one I used to minimize the gap.
View Quote
Initially I was looking for SS. No such thing in local hardware (Lowes or HD) stores. Amazon had them but they are shipped by banana boat from China and probably are junk (strength). So I settled for what looked half-way decent in nickle plated. Also hoping to move within a year or two so they don't have to last forever and I won't be retrieving them (having some trees removed so plan is to have them install them while up in the cherry-picker).
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, adding a swivel seems like a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks all, marine grade makes perfect sense.

What do you think of these swivel type? I'm thinking this may be better choice cause I know from experience the thing will be twisted umpteen ways from Sunday before I get it anchored.

This: 29mm with Swivel & a smaller version that will handle 1/4" line: 22 mm with shackle

Don't mind paying a little extra as I plan to leave it up a long while & can always use them for my next wire.
View Quote
That 29mm bullet block will last you years.  It will outlast any line you use with it.  If you're not worried about the price, go with the swivel.  It's not going to fail. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to a marina and get the stainless and brass ones. They're expensive, but they last. Also make sure the gap between the side of the roller and the frame is not so large that the halyard will slip ito it.

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely, marine grade pulleys.  Don't buy at a hardware store.  Buy at a marine shop.

Swivel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered 2 of the Harken Marine 29 mm linked above & some 1/4" Dacron line, just need to decide on my antenna this time around.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I used #292 Harken marine pulleys with 3/16" Dacron rope.  2015 I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top