Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/24/2017 7:48:38 AM EDT
The heck with field day, my favorite ham radio scavenger hunt of the year rapidly approaches: The 13 Colonies Special Event!

Last year's thread here.

Last year was a record year with 17 arfhams making a clean sweep:

Clean Sweep with WM3PEN and GB13COL bonus stations

KnowFear (first place in the race!)
jl_434
nikdfish
aa777888-2
BJDFL53
K9-Bob
CatskillDraht
DirtNasty

Clean Sweep with WM3PEN bonus station

Frank_B
SargeRN
kno3sc3h40
masfonos
glockster
stimpsonjcat
weaponeer1911
Rockdoc
Dirtracer49

I just figured I'd get the 2017 thread going early this year

This year will be tougher than ever as participation continues to grow and sunspots continue to diminish.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Timely: 13 Colonies Event Show releases Tues morning with Bob ND7j
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads-up!
From my location, 80 and 40 should work for all but the UK station. 20 has been doing pretty good lately, so maybe it'll be worked also.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
There were several stations I never even heard last year. And you can't work them, if you can't hear them.

Hopefully it will be better this year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoping my work schedule allows me to put the chair time in to do it again this year. Enjoy my coffee mug most every morning
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never been able to get GB13COL in 3 years of trying

I've gotten the sweep with PEN every time but no Brit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
K3LR Right down the street from me is K2M On July 2nd. Pretty easy for me to make a contact to them!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
13 Colonies on HR360 Here
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in.  That's a fun one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
13 Colonies on HR360 Here
View Quote
Can't listen to it. The only browser link I could get to work without selling my personal info or installing app's I don't want was +tunein and they didn't have that episode available.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can't listen to it. The only browser link I could get to work without selling my personal info or installing app's I don't want was +tunein and they didn't have that episode available.
View Quote
really? bottom of every page, right under the big black player

try this

or

this one will allow you to download directly
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I see it now. I didn't scroll down to the bottom. I scrolled down a little bit but all I was seeing was advertising and just figured that there were no relevant links at the bottom. Even when I did finally scroll to the bottom it took me a few seconds to pick the player bar out of the ad's. It's not very prominently.

When you do these interviews I assume the guests are not visiting your studio. Sorry for the thread drift (although it's my thread, after all ), but what do you use to bring high quality guest audio back to the studio?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Skype on their end, I record local on mine, mix them together (live) then into a digital recorder.  I also run a skype recorder in the background just in case.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Stronger signals this year plus perhaps more ops

B and L + the brit left to go....
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Forgot about this event.  Picked up K2M on CW pretty quickly.  There are a few other stations on SSB, but I'm too lazy to dig the microphone out of the closet.

Think I'll try to work them all on CW.

Edit: Picked up a couple more, but signals aren't great.   We'll see....
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Spotting page here.

Pileups.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stronger signals this year plus perhaps more ops

B and L + the brit left to go....
View Quote
Wow! You are hammering those out! I'm in the colonies so it's a bit tough during the daytime. I got a late start this morning and knocked out 4 in short order, and can hear two others but too faintly to break the pile-ups. Most of it is going right over my head right now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Clean sweep plus WM3PEN, in just under 3 hours.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Got F on 15m and M on 17 so far this morning. K2D on 20m right now but working by numbers and not to 5s yet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
17 seems to be in really good shape this morning
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Started re-working with QRP  Propagation was / is pretty dang good.  Didn't often bother with turning on the SB200.  Hopefully get a bit easier for QRP once the early-bird pile-ups dissipate.

Still need that sneaky brit though !!!!

Half-n-half 100 watts / 600 watts.  Plus one at 5 watts CW. 45 ft x 45 ft Inverted-L, 16 Radials.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I still need k2a, k2f, k2h and the brits. Seems like the bands died.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked up a few.  Haven't heard anyone new on CW, for a while. Maybe I'll put up my 40m antenna tonight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 6.  I'm not sure if I got WM3 or not; everything went to hell in the middle of qso.  Everything is up and down.  I'm glad it's a week long.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I just need F, G, and GB13COL. I wish they'd put up more CW stations, the SSB pileups are just a shitshow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the SSB pileups are just a shitshow.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, you guys are really doing well. I've been picking away at it all day. I'll sit down for about 30 min's, check all the bands, work what I find, then leave for a couple of hours, repeat. Still need RI, CT, MA, NH and UK. Tried digi, heard one station, but it was a dup. for me. Bands suck, still waiting for 80M to light up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm down to k2f and gb.

QRP!!! Go team!

been struggling with MD for a while, to close for 20, too far for 40.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, got everything except GB13COL (just like last year!). I just can't hear them on any band they've tried.

7 LSB, 6 CW, and 1 PSK. I'd like to go back and get them all on CW if possible.

Whoever just took over K2F is doing a MUCH better job managing the pileup.

K2A 40m SSB
K2B 40m SSB
K2C 40m SSB
K2D 20m CW
K2E 40m SSB
K2F 40m SSB
K2G 40m PSK
K2H 20m CW
K2I 40m SSB
K2J 40m CW
K2K 20m CW
K2L 40m CW
K2M 40m CW
WM3PEN 40m SSB

Haven't heard a peep out of GB13COL
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll jump back on and try to grab k2f later, bands just not working for me.

K2d was a real struggle  this morning on 40, the operator was so slow and not very good with the pileup.

I'm new to pileups, but its blindingly obvious who is better at managing than others.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Have a few more on SSB 5 Watts.  Plus a rather silly RTTY at 5 Watts

If the bands stay this decent, CONUS QRP sweep is do-able.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#31]
K2F, K2J on 20m SSB and K2M on 20m SSB andCW. Fun day
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#32]
So far I've only gotten 2 from the car: k2k and wm3pen. Both on 40m SSB. Earlier in the day, I heard one other but couldn't break thru the logjam and gave up.

I'll be trying from the house tonight to see how far I get.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#33]
OK, I've reached the "Aaargh" stage: just need my home state of NH, and the UK station. Got all the others on SSB phone. Maybe K2K will be on later this evening, it's still early, but 80M is hopping. Would like to hear GB13COL on 40M tonight, but of course it's very, very late for them. Maybe if I get up early tomorrow...
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Found the UK station on 40M. Total, epic, train wreck. This guy should be going by numbers. Insanity. Meanwhile K2K is not on the air, the bastids. And NH has more op's than any other state.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK, I've reached the "Aaargh" stage: just need my home state of NH, and the UK station. Got all the others on SSB phone. Maybe K2K will be on later this evening, it's still early, but 80M is hopping. Would like to hear GB13COL on 40M tonight, but of course it's very, very late for them. Maybe if I get up early tomorrow...
View Quote
You're not missing anything. The person running GB13COL has lost control and it's a total shit how. Edit - While I was typing this, he decided to go by the numbers. Doesn't help me, I can't hear him enough to do me any good. Actually. even with going by the numbers it still sounds like a shit show.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I need B, E and the British bonus station. Some of them I have on more than one band, one on three. If I could hear ANY of them on 80m I'd be doing better.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I just realized GB13COL is under the General License cut off.  I wonder how many are in that pile up?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You're not missing anything. The person running GB13COL has lost control and it's a total shit how. Edit - While I was typing this, he decided to go by the numbers. Doesn't help me, I can't hear him enough to do me any good. Actually. even with going by the numbers it still sounds like a shit show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, just got him, after he started in by the numbers. Now all I need is K2K, which should be easily doable if they ever come up on the air. If I can stay awake long enough I might actually do this in one day, which would be a first for me.

P.S. all you guys outside of New England that were cleaning up on the higher bands during the day, now is the time for us New England stations to play on the low bands

P.P.S. good thing I'm an extra
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#39]
For the last hour or so, K2K has been on 40m PSK31. Same with K2G. Couldn't get either one since I don't have my OCFD back from Field Day yet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yep, just got him, after he started in by the numbers. Now all I need is K2K, which should be easily doable if they ever come up on the air. If I can stay awake long enough I might actually do this in one day, which would be a first for me.

P.S. all you guys outside of New England that were cleaning up on the higher bands during the day, now is the time for us New England stations to play on the low bands

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the only reason I got Extra, I was sick of listening to people I wanted to talk to on frequencies I couldn't talk to them on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Meh.....losing interest already.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#42]
The pileup for the YL running K2I was pretty thick.  Managed to get in to K2C on SSB when they swung the beam west pretty quick.  K2M on digital pretty quickly after I figured out I hadn't put my radio in digital mode and it wasn't transmitting nuffin' for a few attempts.  

Question is, do they use Clublog or such that I can verify I'm logged in a real station and didn't get taken by a pony?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't believe they are using ClubLog or anything like that. This is what it says on their website:

"PLEASE BE AWARE OF PIRATE STATIONS AND PIRATES ATTEMPTING TO SEND FAKE CERTIFICATES. IF YOUR UNSURE ASK THE OPERATOR FOR HIS/HER PERSONAL CALL SIGN AND CHECK EACH STATE PAGE TO BE SURE YOUR WORKING A TRUE 13 COLONIES STATION. ALL OPERATORS ARE LISTED ON EACH STATE PAGE. WE HAVE HAD ATTEMPTS TO DO THIS IN PREVIOUS YEARS!"

With the pile-ups I really couldn't be bothered to do that. I would guess that someone would jump into a fake pile-up screaming "Fake!" if one should happen, but who knows? I never actually get the cert's, I just fill out the log for fun, so I don't worry too much about it myself.

eta: K2K and GB13COL have electronic logs up on the qrz.com web pages. K2L is using LOTW and EQSL. I checked myself in GB13COL and they've got me logged twice in 20min, which is odd. K2K is the last station I need so nothing to check there yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't believe they are using ClubLog or anything like that. This is what it says on their website:

"PLEASE BE AWARE OF PIRATE STATIONS AND PIRATES ATTEMPTING TO SEND FAKE CERTIFICATES. IF YOUR UNSURE ASK THE OPERATOR FOR HIS/HER PERSONAL CALL SIGN AND CHECK EACH STATE PAGE TO BE SURE YOUR WORKING A TRUE 13 COLONIES STATION. ALL OPERATORS ARE LISTED ON EACH STATE PAGE. WE HAVE HAD ATTEMPTS TO DO THIS IN PREVIOUS YEARS!"

With the pile-ups I really couldn't be bothered to do that. I would guess that someone would jump into a fake pile-up screaming "Fake!" if one should happen, but who knows? I never actually get the cert's, I just fill out the log for fun, so I don't worry too much about it myself.

eta: K2K and GB13COL have electronic logs up on the qrz.com web pages. K2L is using LOTW and EQSL. I checked myself in GB13COL and they've got me logged twice in 20min, which is odd. K2K is the last station I need so nothing to check there yet.
View Quote
While listening to the GB13COL pileup last night there was one station (xxxAA) who kept sending his callsign 5-10 times every time. Eventually one of the other stations in the pileup gave him an exchange to get him to shut up
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:While listening to the GB13COL pileup last night there was one station (xxxAA) who kept sending his callsign 5-10 times every time. Eventually one of the other stations in the pileup gave him an exchange to get him to shut up
View Quote
I must admit to wanting to do that sometimes :)  Right-o !!!

... still looking for the Brit :( ...
... 4 stations re-worked with QRP 5 watts ...
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I may try to rework all stations QRP this week, depending on how much time I have. I worked about half on QRP, Had to go to a friends house with an amp to get to some stations. No way I'll get GB with 5 SSB though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I am stuck on 8. Need B, C, H, I, and the two bonuses. There's a pileup for I right now on 20 that is crazy
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Poor signals again this year.  I haven't even heard most of the stations.

I got a clean sweep a few years ago, and I think that is going to be good enough for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Got the last one except England! I've been trying to get K2E since last night. I only do SSB. I have several on more than one band including two, K2G and K2M on four bands, but K2E just didn't want to cooperate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Got the last one except England! I've been trying to get K2E since last night. I only do SSB. I have several on more than one band including two, K2G and K2M on four bands, but K2E just didn't want to cooperate.
View Quote
It took me an hour this morning to finally get K2E. I'm down to just needing C, I, and the brit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top