Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 3:39:00 PM EDT
So I'm sitting out at the camper today riverside playing with my 817 and the MFJ 1820T.
Listening to the indy500 special event station on 20m calling and no pileup.  So i toss out my call/qrp/qrp.
I figured i would be just talking to myself today but he heard me!
I think i suprised him as much as i was.  Got a 55 out of him.

What else of MFJ's stuff works?
Also brag thread.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I hear there's nothing wrong with MFJ as long as you treat it like a mostly finished kit.  Open it up as soon as you get it and clean out the flux residue and lead clippings, and it should be golden.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My 949E tuner works fine. Years ago I had another MFJ tuner (948 IIRC) that had a bunch of cold

solder joints in it. I took it apart and re-soldered all the bad connections and it worked fine for many years

afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used many MFJ products over the years.  Their manual tuners work great.  The only issue I ever had with them was a solid state amp after they bought Ameritron.  Some people call them Mighty Fine Junk, and I think many years ago that may have been true.  But they seem to have their act together now.

(Having said that, I'm looking at my shack and only see 3 pieces of MFJ )
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a bunch of MFJ items and never had any problems with them. I did have a diode in an SWR meter fail as a result of a nearby lightning strike. They sent me a new one no charge. The postage probably cost several times what the diode did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I need NE (and RI) for WAS :-)

...you still on ? What freq?

Sudboy
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I hear there's nothing wrong with MFJ as long as you treat it like a mostly finished kit.  Open it up as soon as you get it and clean out the flux residue and lead clippings, and it should be golden.
View Quote
Been saying this for years. Loose hardware and cold solder joints, too. A little QA and they are GTG. All their tuners work great. Don't buy their baluns, though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an MFJ-4704 coax patch panel that works great.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I need NE (and RI) for WAS :-)

...you still on ? What freq?

Sudboy
View Quote
sadly nope. might be on later tomorrow if all goes well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an MFJ-969 with my Kenwoon ts-590s and the only issue I had was the meters were held in with little to no glue. One of them fell out and had to be resecured to the chassis so I went ahead and popped the other one out and glued it back too.

Otherwise I found it to be rather well made.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a MFJ dummy load that works.   But then, there is not much to a dummy load.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything I bought from MFJ has always worked very well for me. No problems with bad solder joints or loose hardware. Their case design is not always an engineering marvel but it's hard to justify an expensive R&D for a product that only sells to a very limited group of people.
They have filled the niche, designing and producing equipment that no other large name manufacturer would consider very profitable. They offer a one year "No Questions Asked" warranty and their stuff is MADE IN THE USA, unlike many other products these days. I have no moral issues buying a $25 "throw away" Baofengs made in China but I would rather not purchase a more expensive product made in a communist country, if I can help it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My MFJ-1820T is the best tiny HF antenna I've used to date. Was running WSPR last night with the KX2 @ 2 watts & MFJ-1820T and was heard coast to coast in the USA, France, England, Switzerland, and Australia. 

I'd love to do a side by side with it and the Wonder-Wand WonderLoop, but the $150 price point seems a little unreasonable. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#13]
BigDaddy0004 introduced me to the MFJ patch panel. It's a brilliant solution to swapping multiple rigs to just a couple of antennas.

True to the MFJ reputation however, EVERY ONE of the VHF passthroughs are poorly constructed. Pull off a PL-259, and the center conductor and insulator come right out with it. Missing a crimp operation at manufacture, I suppose. Pretty frustrating, but as I cap the working side of the passthrough with a VHF to BNC adaptor, the issue is solved. MFJ surely doesn't manufacture the passthroughs, but their QC should catch such a glaring flaw.

Cheers...   Jim

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BigDaddy0004 introduced me to the MFJ patch panel. It's a brilliant solution to swapping multiple rigs to just a couple of antennas.

True to the MFJ reputation however, EVERY ONE of the VHF passthroughs are poorly constructed. Pull off a PL-259, and the center conductor and insulator come right out with it. Missing a crimp operation at manufacture, I suppose. Pretty frustrating, but as I cap the working side of the passthrough with a VHF to BNC adaptor, the issue is solved. MFJ surely doesn't manufacture the passthroughs, but their QC should catch such a glaring flaw.

Cheers...   Jim

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/bench_zps0qgke2vf.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/Panel_zpsurhnves5.jpg
View Quote
Is that a Bayou Jumper posing as a Paraset?

Nice Collins setup, BTW.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Frank_B asked: Is that a Bayou Jumper posing as a Paraset?

Yup, I couldn't resist adding some octal tube sockets as well as "tank" and "aerial" lamps to my Bayou Jumper. Regrettably, I built a sidetone generator circuit, and it somehow killed receive functionality of my Jumper. So the little devil is back on the "projects in waiting" pile.

On the upside though, I now have about 85% of the parts on hand to tackle a proper Paraset build. Just need more free time!

Cheers...   Jim

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got an an old 300W tuner from the 80's that works just fine, the "glass" fell off, but easy enough to glue back on. I've also got a SWR "dipper" I forget the model, it on the other hand is mostly shit in terms of function and design (i.e. you need an external freq counter), but it does still "work"
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Frank_B asked: Is that a Bayou Jumper posing as a Paraset?

Yup, I couldn't resist adding some octal tube sockets as well as "tank" and "aerial" lamps to my Bayou Jumper. Regrettably, I built a sidetone generator circuit, and it somehow killed receive functionality of my Jumper. So the little devil is back on the "projects in waiting" pile.

On the upside though, I now have about 85% of the parts on hand to tackle a proper Paraset build. Just need more free time!

Cheers...   Jim

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/main_zpsw9ua72rq.jpg
View Quote
Totally Jealous, that looks great. But also not MFJ
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I have several MFJ products. The only issues I have had with them is on two antenna tuners, the knobs were slightly out of alignment with the capacitor vanes and needed to be adjusted, and the SO239s on them are VERY excessively tight on the center conductor of the cables. On a third tuner and on my Antenna analyzer the connectors have a typical, normal mount of tension. And one of the tuners needed to have a nut tightened on a rotary switch shaft.

But otherwise they have all been reasonably priced, useful bits of equipment. I like their manual antenna tuners. I have a loop tuner that is a lot of fun to experiment with. The analyzer is about as nice as you can expect without a graphic display. I have read of complaints about the soldering work inside but on all of the ones I've opened up, they appear to be in good condition. Maybe I just got lucky. 

I really don't mind doing piddly little tune-ups on their equipment because the overall value for the dollar is pretty good. In my experience nothing has been broken so much as in need of very minor fine tuning and adjustments. All of the stuff would have functioned fine without the adjustments, but wanting things to be as close to perfect as possible, I couldn't stop myself from "fixing" them. 
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Woah!

Tang sight Hi-power!

Got a stock for that thing?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Got a stock for that thing?

I'm in (sad to say) California, so no stock and I better darn well not have any correct magazines.

It's okay now though, as all of my guns were lost in a tragic gardening accident. Honest, officer!
Top Top