Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 10:51:34 PM EDT
Hi,
I have been working for a major railroad for a few decades. I have an issued Kenwood NX210 KW. I need help picking a better alternative to the stock antenna that is supplied. Since we have gone to narrow band, and our working limits have increased dramatically, our hand held's are not up to par. I suspect it can be made better with a different antenna. If anyone has knowledge on the subject, I would be most appreciative. Thank you
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No practical antenna for a handheld radio can make up the performance difference between standard bandwidth and narrowband FM. The difference is about 6dB.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Kenwood TK-280 that I use for railfanning and ham radio.  When i'm railfanning, I replace the stock antenna with a Laird EXH antenna tuned for the railroad band.  In my experience, reception with that antenna is much improved over the stock antenna.  It should work better for you than your stock antenna.

FWIW, I bought that antenna after reading a BNSF antenna test report where that model antenna performed better than the stock antennas.

Here's a link to a company that sells the model for your NX-210.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Kenwood TK-280 that I use for railfanning and ham radio.  When i'm railfanning, I replace the stock antenna with a Laird EXH antenna tuned for the railroad band.  In my experience, reception with that antenna is much improved over the stock antenna.  It should work better for you than your stock antenna.

FWIW, I bought that antenna after reading a BNSF antenna test report where that model antenna performed better than the stock antennas.

Here's a link to a company that sells the model for your NX-210.
View Quote
Thanks very much for the info. I'll check with the radio shop and see if they have one. If not, I'll order one and give it a shot. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Being that it's a company radio you need to take these questions up with the radio shop. Changing parts out could be a violation of a service contract and void the warranty.

An antenna does not make any difference for wide band versus narrow band. As long as it covers the specified frequency range. Portable antennas are a compromise... Some are better than others. Typically with a quality commercial radio (Motorola, Harris, Kenwood, etc.) the supplied antenna is going to be about as good as it gets so long as it is tuned for the band being used.

Out of curiosity, what issues are you experiencing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top