Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 3:11:57 PM EDT
I could really care less about Hamvention, but someone sent me the link by email so I tuned in. Immediately all I see are a bunch of old, fat guys wandering by, including one guy in a scooter. Ahahahahaha! So cliche!

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link! Watching the recording right now. You are right about scooters. Another thing I noticed is a unique choice of hats. Did you see the guy wearing a tall, clown hat with a bunch of pins and a "live text" display? I bet he was hiding a vertical antenna in that hat! LOL.
Here is a business idea. I need to buy some hardhats, glue the interior with tinfoil and install a vertical antenna on top. The tinfoil will act as a ground plain and will also protect from EMP and the govt. mind probing radars.

BTW, several years ago I just got home from Dayton and was watching these guys making a similar video inside one of the buildings. They were interviewing someone in front of the crowd and I got to thinking - how come I never noticed these guys with the camera. About a minute later I see my ass walking right in front of the camera, looking sideways. Duh.... It was awfully hot that day in Dayton. I could have used a scooter with an air conditioner.

To those who are in Dayton this week. I'm real jealous.............
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried to skip through the video but the internet off my phone here in the hotel room sucks. Looks like it's mainly in one building. Good, probably won't show me on it. If so I'm the short guy with a tape whip antenna and about 50 lbs of shit strapped to his london bridge jump pack with a beer in both hands.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tried to skip through the video but the internet off my phone here in the hotel room sucks. Looks like it's mainly in one building. Good, probably won't show me on it. If so I'm the short guy with a tape whip antenna and about 50 lbs of shit strapped to his london bridge jump pack with a beer in both hands.
View Quote
There was a guy with a pack and antenna. He was an older guy standing near the camera and looking at his phone. It think he was watching himself on the live stream.
The camera operator takes a walk through several buildings. It's around the fourth quarter of the video. He walked by MFJ, Icom, Kenwood, Elecraft, Ameritron, Begali and a bunch of other exibitors.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
He's walking through the outside tents (but says these tents are considered inside?) and showing everything wet after the storm that blew through.

The big tents are peppered with holes that let the rain in.

I'm sure some people left product on their tables without tarping it over.

He said that all the booths in one tent were wrecked by the wind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm 90% sure I saw you today. You gonna be there tomorrow morning?

Speaking of scooters, I got rammed from behind twice today including one dude running over my foot.  Neither said anything and just scowled at me like it was my fault.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
i live about 12 miles from the fair grounds ill be there tommrow  for the prize drawing   anyone want to chat I moniter 144.34  kc8eka
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
At our booth, 6117, we were told by the committee person responsible for the 6000 area tents that there were not the tents he had been told to expect.
FAIRS has a 30 year history with Hamvention and though we are only a non-profit he apologized to our director and promised that these quality tents would not be repeated next year.
Which is the essence of a venue change for a major activity.  
Talk in and the drive from Fairborn on Sat went much smoother than on Friday.
Things will probably be even better on Sunday but the weather projections are not looking kind for those who would rather break camp in clear calm weather.

Got to see SCWolverine briefly in a hallway since he decided to move to a better neighborhood. :)
I heard the talk given for AREDN on Sat afternoon and spent some time at the booth 1001.
I'm favorably impressed as to how far they have progressed over the last 2 years.  I could definitely see AREDN being a good way to provide some good auxcomm capabilities at a reasonable cost around our county and with expansion up and down the Appalachians a much improved interface into Richmond.

I was not impressed with the pizza but it was often the only food vendor in the main area that didn't have a half hour wait.
Young's ice cream on the other hand is almost a reason to live in Ohio.  Not quite enough but almost.  First they have to learn to make pizza right.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Speaking of scooters, I got rammed from behind twice today including one dude running over my foot.  Neither said anything and just scowled at me like it was my fault.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, unfortunately we are rolling out in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was a guy with a pack and antenna. He was an older guy standing near the camera and looking at his phone. It think he was watching himself on the live stream.
The camera operator takes a walk through several buildings. It's around the fourth quarter of the video. He walked by MFJ, Icom, Kenwood, Elecraft, Ameritron, Begali and a bunch of other exibitors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That wasn't me. My phone was dead. I didn't check it either day.

I did see the weird guy with the tall red had and light up name tag you mentioned earlier though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top