Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 12:27:58 AM EDT
I'm looking for a high quality headset to use both at work and ham radio. 
At work I alternate between shirring at a console and walking around in a high noise environment. I currently use two headsets. A crappy setcom headset that breaks of you look at it wrong and something like a David Clark for outside. The latter isn't that comfortable, but beats going deaf. Both radios are motorolas, a cm200 and a cp200. 
On the ham front I have an ft-250 and a couple hx370's.
I've used an in the ear rig that went under a set of ear pro and worked great. 
I've never tried a throat mike before. Do they work well and hold up?
What other options are there? 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
No one? 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a high quality headset to use both at work and ham radio. 
At work I alternate between shirring at a console and walking around in a high noise environment. I currently use two headsets. A crappy setcom headset that breaks of you look at it wrong and something like a David Clark for outside. The latter isn't that comfortable, but beats going deaf. Both radios are motorolas, a cm200 and a cp200. 
On the ham front I have an ft-250 and a couple hx370's.
I've used an in the ear rig that went under a set of ear pro and worked great. 
I've never tried a throat mike before. Do they work well and hold up?
What other options are there? 
View Quote

The best I have found are these:  RadioSport by Arlan Communications Link

Much nicer than a DC (which you can use with a converter).

Like most good things, not cheap.  But then they are in the "Life Tool" quality & performance category.

I have several sets, one for each QTH's main radio (Flex-6700 at each) and one for the Vintage Station at each QTH (Collins S-Line both stations).

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG With Varying Frequency - Amateur Radio Ponderings, a Blog by K9ZW - Link
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are sort of what I have for the high setup, but go under a hard hat. They are hot, heavy, and not to comfortable. I was thinking of something that could be worn under ear pro and switched between the two radios. An adapter would be needed for each radio. 
In the Coast Guard the in ear were great. You could stand next to a screaming engine and talk in a normal, quiet voice and be heard over the radio. It was incredible. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a set of heil pro 7 headsets and just did not like them.  Quite heavy and not comfortable.    I use a good set of sony headphones from bestbuy that cost 40 bucks..  Sounds the same to me,  for high noise i would use earbuds..  300 bucks is too much for a headset in my opinion.   Dont have any input on a throat mic...    Good Luck

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my Heil Proset. It's very comfortable and lightweight. IMHO it's a lot more comfortable than Proset-Elite. The phase reverse feature makes is very pleasant to listen for a long time and it helps to pick out weak signals in the noise. The Proset is not a good choice for noisy environments.

I've used a DC Clark (with gel filled seals) back when I flew a small airplane. They are very comfortable and have a nice noise-cancelling microphone.
Many pilots love Bose avsets but the price is very high.

I have also used a nice aviation headset from a Russian military helicopter. It was the best sounding headset I have ever tried. It utilized a cavity filter to improve audio intelligibility when audio is mixed with a background noise, like in an HF SSB radio.

Throat mics are used a lot by the military. I'm sure they'll work for you too. I have very little experience with them to be more specific.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top