Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 12:08:32 AM EDT
Been eyeing the 5100 to upgrade my mobile. I have a 51A handheld that I like. The price hasn't been released on the 4100 and I'm not sure when the radios will be. Has anyone here been looking into the 4100 or know any details?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an id-51, an icom 7100, and a correctly set up DVAP.

I wouldn't spend an extra $3.56 for DStar, unless you enjoy listening to reflector 1C being inundated with a guy in tennessee calling CQ, and being answered by a guy in Ohio, and each of them saying, "WOW! You sound like you are in the next room!"

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a dual band mobile with APRS, and C4FM.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an 880H on loan.  The manual is 250+ pages long.  It's over-complicated even to set up for local repeaters.  It sits mostly unused. I can't imagine how much more this new rig would be.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I plan on getting one. I have no interest in D-Star for voice, just data.  If i need to program it, I plug it in to a computer. Magic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I use RT Systems to program my ID-51A.  As far as the 4100 goes, it seems like 2m is mostly dead around here anyway, so I don't know that I'll bother with anything new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top