Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2017 4:54:09 PM EDT
I just got repaid a couple of thousand bucks on a loan I had written off years ago.  I think I'll use the money on an amp but would like some recommendations from you Arfcom Hamsters on make/model. Also, does it make sense to pull the trigger now or what to see if there are any deals at Dayton?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
See what is at Dayton.

I think my next ham purchase will be an acom or elecraft amp. No time soon though
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See what is at Dayton.

I think my next ham purchase will be an acom or elecraft amp. No time soon though
View Quote
Right now I'm leaning strongly towards the Elecraft KPA500.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Acom 1000. So far, I have not seen a better built amp in under $5,000 rice category. Cheap tubes too.
IMHO, Elecrafts are way overpriced for what you get.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a pretty broad question in regards to an amp.  What is your primary rig?  What modes do you usually run and what style of operating?  If you love running RTTY contests the best amp would be a lot different than if you are just trying to bust DX pileups on SSB.

I'd have to say best bang for your buck overall is the AL-80B (Full disclosure: I just bought one so I'm probably biased). But if you want automatic band switching and no-tune operation obviously that's not the right amp for ya.

I liked the AL-80B for the overall cost, 500w rating on 100% duty cycle modes, single tube with low replacement cost, and higher output than the 811.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a pretty broad question in regards to an amp.  What is your primary rig?  What modes do you usually run and what style of operating?  If you love running RTTY contests the best amp would be a lot different than if you are just trying to bust DX pileups on SSB.

I'd have to say best bang for your buck overall is the AL-80B (Full disclosure: I just bought one so I'm probably biased). But if you want automatic band switching and no-tune operation obviously that's not the right amp for ya.

I liked the AL-80B for the overall cost, 500w rating on 100% duty cycle modes, single tube with low replacement cost, and higher output than the 811.  
View Quote
I've got am Icom 7300 and do both phone and digital modes.  I'm not a contester but I do like collecting ATNOs.  I would love to be able to get in to Europe on a routine basis.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
In terms of dollars/watt, you can't beat a tube amp.

In terms of being bulletproof, you can't beat a solid state amp.

In terms of total convenience and speed of operation, you can't beat a solid state amp.

Best dollars/watt solid state = ALS600.

Best quality solid state = KPA500.

Most interesting potential new development = Linear Amps UK Gemini HF (not shipping yet)
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In terms of dollars/watt, you can't beat a tube amp.

In terms of being bulletproof, you can't beat a solid state amp.

In terms of total convenience and speed of operation, you can't beat a solid state amp.

Best dollars/watt solid state = ALS600.

Best quality solid state = KPA500.

Most interesting potential new development = Linear Amps UK Gemini HF (not shipping yet)
View Quote
I think Ameritron is made by MFJ and that worries me.

The ACOM 1000 looks great but is over my budget.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just got repaid a couple of thousand bucks on a loan I had written off years ago.  I think I'll use the money on an amp but would like some recommendations from you Arfcom Hamsters on make/model. Also, does it make sense to pull the trigger now or what to see if there are any deals at Dayton?
View Quote

No contest, wait to see what is new at Dayton.

I don't know what your needs are but a KX2 seems like a pretty sure bet if you don't have something ultraportable.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think Ameritron is made by MFJ and that worries me.

The ACOM 1000 looks great but is over my budget.
View Quote
I've seen Acom1000 used, in excellent shape for around $2,000. Keep in mind that unlike other amps, Acom can handle up to 3:1 SWR. Solid state amps are very touchy about SWR and will go into a bypass mode when SWR gets over 1.5:1 unless you have a tuner.
Acom 1000 is fool-proof and has all kinds of protection features and alarms (with alarm memory). It's also very quiet, unlike most tube and solid state amps. It has a tuning aid that makes tuning very easy and fast. The GU-74 tube is bullet-proof and very cheap.
I tried driving my Acom1000 with my Elecraft KX3 and got about 215 Watts out with 10 Watts in. It puts out 1,200 Watts easily with around 60 Watts drive. I'm yet to hear the cooling fan running at full speed, even during high duty cycle TX when calling CQ or handling large pile-ups.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No contest, wait to see what is new at Dayton.

I don't know what your needs are but a KX2 seems like a pretty sure bet if you don't have something ultraportable.
View Quote
I've got a KX3 for travel, looking for an amp for home.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've got a KX3 for travel, looking for an amp for home.
View Quote
Same here, I passed on the amp at Dayton last year and got the PX3 because I wanted to do the digital modes without a laptop and I wasn't married to the KPA100 to do what I want to do like it was with the PX3. Now I'll go me the amp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I love my Ameritron AL-80B.  I can change bands and tune it in under 45 seconds (that includes my PalStar manual tuner) and it delivers 1000 watts about as inexpensively as possible.  I bought mine used for used a grand and cannot be happier with the purchase.  the 3-500zg tubes are reasonably inexpensive and very good tubes are readily available.  I would love to own an Acom 1000 but it's very hard to justify the $2700 when the AL-80B works so well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Cash in hand at any show will always get a discount.  Gun show, or whatever cash is king.  If you think you would like a amp Get a kpa500 and never buy again.  Amazing amp that will do full remote..    Would love one, have a older 2kl 500w icom that keeps going..

Money in the pocket burns brain cells constantly...

Prosise
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait until this weekend, and see what Elecraft has to offer.  

Elecraft at Visalia hamfest
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that a 1000w amp??
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is that a 1000w amp??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a 1000w amp??
Look closely at the numbers above the LEDs at the top of the amp.........  700, 900, 1100, 1300, 1500, 1700, 1900.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top