Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2017 11:50:01 AM EDT
I know it seems a simple issue but before I start ripping into fabbing something up, I was wondering if there is anything on the market Y'all know of. I just received my Tech about a month ago and am studying for my General right now. My problem is I drive an F250 diesel and barely fit in my parking garage at work without ripping off my cab light as it is. I need an antenna that can mount on my rig at the exact height of my cab lights, or lower, otherwise I hit every structural support beam in the garage - AND since they're about 2' apart it sounds like hell going through the garage, so I took the one I had off.
What I had was a hood mount but the curvature of the F250 hood makes the antenna lean badly. Plus again the antenna is about 4" too tall. Does anyone have any good reviews of a 2M antenna that I can mount on my front end replacement (brush guard) that would stay below the top of an F250? I hope that wasn't as clear as mud with my problem. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it on an ell bracket on the hoodline, and bend the aerial vertical?

Actually, I just wanted to post your song in here:

ting ting ting ting scrrrrerrrrrrreeeech ting ting ting

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at antennas for 2M/440. The 440 trap inductor acts as a loading coil on 2 and allows the overall length to be shorter.

This particular one is by Diamond.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a stake mount (I think it's a Firestik) on my F150 with a short Hustler antenna. It does ride a bit above the cab, and I still hit a few garage lights, but not as bad as other setups I've had. Still get great rx and tx with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put it on an ell bracket on the hoodline, and bend the aerial vertical?

Actually, I just wanted to post your song in here:

ting ting ting ting scrrrrerrrrrrreeeech ting ting ting

View Quote
HA!!!! I have my own dance for it I do in my seat as I'm driving through the garage.

Thanks for the replies Y'all. I think I'll use the one that I have for the wife's SUV and my rig I'll just fab up a mount. I have all of the tools and parts - just was looking for an easier option. Making my own will probably be more fun anyway. Thanks again!!!!
KG5SGN (vanity should be in next week - KG5TXN). Katy Texas. Hope to talk to Y'all sometime.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
NMO type setups are your friend.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Diamond makes a motorized mount that tilts the antenna horizontally. Just an idea...
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
There are 2 ways to fix your problem.

First: Install a Diamond K9000, motorized antenna mount, as mentioned in the post above. It's a lip mount and you'll be able to mount the antenna on the hood. This mount will allow you to raise and lower the antenna when you drive into the parking garage. This is probably the best solution because you will be able to use a longer and more efficient antenna. BTW, I won one of these mounts at a hamfest and have it here, if you want to see more pictures.

Second: Get a short antenna. Assuming your current mount is NMO. Here are a few choices:
- Diamond 13.5" dual band antenna.
- Laird makes short antennas too.
- Comet SBB1, NMO flexible 16"  or    Comet SBB1, UHF mount, only 16" long and flexible.
- Simply bend your existing antenna at 45-60 degrees right at around half length or slightly less. It will work but won't be as pretty.  You may need to slightly adjust the length at the base.

Keep in mind that most antennas will require a good "ground" connection at the base, where it's mounted. For a lip mount, I usually scrape the vehicle's paint under one of the mounting screws and let the screw burrow into the metal thus providing good connection with the hood or the metal part of the vehicle it's mounted on. You may need to shorten the small aluminum spacer that goes under the mounting screws. Also make sure to apply some bearing grease under the "grounding screw" where paint was removed, to keep that spot from rusting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The antenna you want/need is a Sti-Co Flexi-whip.

They're nitinol wire inside a polymer jacket, and can fold completely over right at the antenna without damage. They are intended for just the kind of application you describe.

Cut for 2m they will work on 440. Not ideal as they have a little performance hit, but unless you're on the fringe of some 440 repeaters you'll probably never notice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The antenna you want/need is a Sti-Co Flexi-whip.

They're nitinol wire inside a polymer jacket, and can fold completely over right at the antenna without damage. They are intended for just the kind of application you describe.

Cut for 2m they will work on 440. Not ideal as they have a little performance hit, but unless you're on the fringe of some 440 repeaters you'll probably never notice.
View Quote
Yup…I actually have two antennas…a town antenna and a regular antenna. The regular antenna is a tri-band whip and the town antenna is for those days when I know I'm going to be going into a parking garage. Sacrifice 7/800 MHz but I retain full VHF functionality (which is good since I don't use 7/800 mobiles in the pickup often) and some functionality for UHF. The town antenna is made of Nitol…regularly slaps the roof in parking garages.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#10]
The Larsen 1/4 wave 2m/440 is short and mounted on your hood wouldn't go above the cab, however, it throws all your RF right in your face. As for the angle of the hood lip mount, would some washers work to level it out?  

The shorty Larsen I use has been  banged many times over the years at my works' parking garage. Only thing that ever happened was I lost the plastic safety cap on the tip.

While an NMO would work you'd need to take it down before you enter the garage. I have a 5/8 wave I put on at times and almost always forget to pull it off despite how easy it is. If your clearance is truly as low as you make it out to be, you could damage not just the antenna but also the mount/roof of your truck.

That Sti-Co Flexi Whip looks interesting but given how flexible it is I'd expect it to just lay down flat when it meets 65+ MPH wind rolling down the highway.

Heck, this is what my 5/8 wave looks like rolling along at 70:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Mag mount on the roof.
Tag a 5/8 wave on it.
When you get home to garage, just take it off and set it in the bed.
Your welcome.

I'm running a Tram 5/8 on a Larsen mag mount on my 250.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I drive a 2002 F250 4x4 with level kit and 315/16 tires.

I run a front fender bracket with NMO antennas.  My fav is the Diamond 7500 Super Gainer.  It's a little taller than the cab, and does hit in most all parking decks, but nothing to make me pause and take it off.

I didn't read all of the replies, just your OP so for whatever it's worth, the hood mount bracket works like a charm, the antenna performs VERY well and I'm happy after 4+ years of having it up there.

Here is an Older Pic

Ran virtually the same set-up on my E350 Van with a SBB5 from Comet and it was stellar, I'm in the process of fabing a mount for my new Transit Wagon to mount near the front windshield too!

Hope some of that helps!
SCW
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all of the help guys. My F250 couldn't fit in my home garage ever. It's the parking garage at my office. It's 12 levels so you can imagine hitting beams 2' apart and a foot long concrete. I'll check out all of Y'alls ideas and thank you again. I just got my Tech, reading for my Gen and love the community. It's an addictive hobby.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Breedlove foldover antenna mount?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Hah! Just picked up on the pun in the subject.

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Heh -

Well I purchased the Diamond and fabbed a bracket for the back of my truck. It works AMAZING. Pluss I geek out lowering it and raising it when I go under something. Thank you everyone! :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top