Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 10:47:09 PM EDT
...belong in the data portion of the band, or the voice portion of the band?     C4FM/DStar/DMR/etc.

Heard some people discussing this today on 2M. That convo was pretty heated. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were up to me, I would say the data portion. 

If it isn't analog speech, it shouldn't be in the phone segments, IMO. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Just another digital voice user, ruining the hobby.....

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just another digital voice user, ruining the hobby.....

View Quote
Oh no he dint!
My opinion, as much as it means little to most, is that it should be in data.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:32:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I honestly don't care as long as I don't hear the "Rocky Mountain spider farting noises" 10 kHz wide in the voice portion of the bands, splattering all over.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting question. I guess mostly it doesnt matter. I say mostly only because locally someone (club related) did a WIRES test for a few weeks on 146.550.
I would have prefered that test elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly I could care less, there isn't anywhere enough traffic here on VHF for me to care. As long as its not fucking up the local repeaters why would anyone care? We had a P25 repeater here that I used very periodically, made contact with the other 2 guys in the area that used it a few times. No one used it and it went under.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Most contests use the rule of thumb that if the end result of the the transmission is voice, it's voice (phone).  If the end result is text, it's digital (data).
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Where ever there is spectrum available...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
According to the ARRL, digital voice is one of many modulation modes of "voice", which also includes AM, FM, and SSB.
Link here: http://www.arrl.org/voice-modes

Also, if you look at the FCC list of emission designators, ALL voice modes (analog and digital) end with "E" where as data modes end with "D".  
Examples:
F1D NXDN Data, P25 Data
F1E NXDN Voice, P25 Voice
F3E FM Voice

From Here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Emission_Designator

RB
KJ4***
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
According to the ARRL, digital voice is one of many modulation modes of "voice", which also includes AM, FM, and SSB.
Link here: http://www.arrl.org/voice-modes

Also, if you look at the FCC list of emission designators, ALL voice modes (analog and digital) end with "E" where as data modes end with "D".  
Examples:
F1D NXDN Data, P25 Data
F1E NXDN Voice, P25 Voice
F3E FM Voice

From Here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Emission_Designator

RB
KJ4***
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Stop being poor and upgrade your radios.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]
On HF, where the bands are separated by regulation, voice would have to go in the voice section of the band regardless of whether it is encoded via analog or digital means.

On VHF/UHF bands, there is not a regulatory separation of voice and data, but there are bandplans and the dictates of "good amateur practice" that directs amateurs to self-segregate activities so as to avoid mutual interference.

Repeaters are coordinated on repeater frequency pairs, so they are what they are.

Simplex use should be on either unused simplex frequencies, or could also go into the miscellaneous modes part of the bandplan. Please stay far away from the "weak signal" CW/SSB portions of the VHF bands with FM bandwidth digital voice.

Digital modes of narrower bandwidth than standard FM should be conscious of the relative bandwidths of both FM and the mode they are using, and not choose splinter frequencies that still overlap into the bandwidth of FM.

Unless you're just trying to tick people off, stay off of active analog repeater frequencies, FM simplex calling frequencies, and established packet and APRS frequencies with digital voice modes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top