Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 11:43:16 PM EDT
HRO is running a 25$ coupon until Tuesday.  I am trying to decide between the LDG at100 pro II  or the z11 pro II.  I have a yaesu ft857d.  I don't want the model specific tuner.  I am leaning towards the at100 (seems more versatile).

I do not see more than 100 watts in my future until retirement (which is a long ways away).

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you planning to use the tuner in the shack only? Do you like to take the radio when you go camping or when you travel?
The description of both tuners in the manufacturer's website, is not clear how they interface with the radios. The list a short interface cable for the FT-857 but don't provide much information about it.

I personally prefer manual tuners, like the MFJ, 200 Watt travel tuner. It's compact and has indicators for both Power and SWR. It also has an output for a long wire antenna or a ladder line.

Also, keep in mind that most tuners are way underrated. The 100 Watt rating does not mean it will handle "hot" switching of L and C relays, at full 100 Watts. It's no big deal as long as you remember to reduce power to about 5 Watts when you tune.This is why a model specific tuner may be a better choice, because it "tells" the radio to reduce power and to switch to a different mode while tuning.
Same thing applies to manual tuners. The rule of thumb is to divide the manufacturer's maximum power rating by 2.  For example, a 3kW tuner should not be used for more than a legal, 1.5kW limit. This does not mean it can handle "hot" tuning at full 1,500 Watts.

IMHO, the first tuner (AT-100) you mentioned is a better choice, especially if it will be a base, stationary tuner. Having the POWER and SWR meters is a big plus
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't want any of that LDG junk. You want some Mighty Fine Junk, seriously. More specifically, you want the MFJ-939Y. It's 10 times the tuner the LDG is.

1. It will handle 200W CW, and will happily tune at 100W without destroying itself. These kinds of margins are good, and will let you run digi modes without worrying about staying below 30W.
2. It's compatible with the 857 tuner interface.
3. It's way less expensive.
4. Most important: it is the only auto-tuner on the market that actually measures the complex impedance of the antenna and jumps right to the correct solution instead of doing a binary search. That means it is fast and you don't have to listen to clickety-clackety for 20 seconds all the while wondering if it is ever going to tune up.

The only thing it is missing is the metering, which isn't that big of deal.

Admittedly, while MFJ does have some great engineering, their QA is weak. If you do buy the MFJ, before using it be sure to open it up and check all hardware for proper torque, all major solder connections, and for any FOD. If it passes that inspection it should be GTG. I have owned three MFJ tuners and they all worked great. I currently use a 998RT as my daily driver. But do your own QA inspection before putting them into service.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two 857s, and have owned two LDG Z-11 Pros (sold one when I went QRO). They work. They connect to the 857 via single phono cable. When tuning, the tuner keys the radio with 10w CW.

Not sure what the difference is between the Pro and Pro II. I had some problems with a non-warranty Z-11 Pro (lightning storm the night before, likely fried by static). LDG charged $25 for a repair. Repair didn't fix the issue, so they sent me a brand new one for free, and let me keep the old unit. I can't say I've dealt with MFJ personally, but I've heard their support can be a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll second the MFJ-939 suggestion.  I've got the 939K for my TS-480 (the difference being a jumper setting and included cable).  I bought it after using a 993B on my desk for a year or so.  It's the same guts without the external instrumentation.  Compact little thing too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I just can't get behind MFJ anymore, I have been burned twice.  I think I will not rush and try and research more.  Thanks for the comments guys.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't have ever considered MFJ over an LDG model. Off to the internet for research!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't have ever considered MFJ over an LDG model. Off to the internet for research!
View Quote

What he said. I haven't scoped out tuners in the past 3 years, but has something changed with LDG? They used to be the bees knees (tm).
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The MFJ tuner designs are very good. Say what you want about the quality of their construction and I won't argue too loudly. But their designs are very good.

I've had a 993B, a 994B and now a 998RT. The 993B taught me about what you need to do, which is dump out the component clippings and solder balls, check the major solder connections, and tighten up all the hardware. Considering the low price point this is not a lot to ask if you are emotionally prepared to do it.

You get superior matching range and superior power handling. And now, with the 939, you get superior measurement capability and algorithms. If they build a legal limit version of the 939 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

None of my MFJ tuners have ever given me a lick of trouble. so I can't speak to their repair services. The only issue I've had is that sometimes you have to fuss with them a little to get them to tune a particularly challenging impedance (e.g. tune in one part of the band, then move to another part).

I would never buy certain things from MFJ, in particular baluns, but tuners I would and do buy from them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been using a  LDG at100 pro II  for many years, no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a MFJ 939 that works very well. Never a problem. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Check to see what the tuner will tune on digital..   Some 100w tuners cannot handle 100w on digital..  

Prosise
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You don't want any of that LDG junk. You want some Mighty Fine Junk, seriously. More specifically, you want the MFJ-939Y. It's 10 times the tuner the LDG is.

1. It will handle 200W CW, and will happily tune at 100W without destroying itself. These kinds of margins are good, and will let you run digi modes without worrying about staying below 30W.
2. It's compatible with the 857 tuner interface.
3. It's way less expensive.
4. Most important: it is the only auto-tuner on the market that actually measures the complex impedance of the antenna and jumps right to the correct solution instead of doing a binary search. That means it is fast and you don't have to listen to clickety-clackety for 20 seconds all the while wondering if it is ever going to tune up.

The only thing it is missing is the metering, which isn't that big of deal.

Admittedly, while MFJ does have some great engineering, their QA is weak. If you do buy the MFJ, before using it be sure to open it up and check all hardware for proper torque, all major solder connections, and for any FOD. If it passes that inspection it should be GTG. I have owned three MFJ tuners and they all worked great. I currently use a 998RT as my daily driver. But do your own QA inspection before putting them into service.
View Quote

Are any of their remote tuners comparable to the 939? I tried reading through MFJ's site and could not really tell for sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are any of their remote tuners comparable to the 939? I tried reading through MFJ's site and could not really tell for sure.
View Quote
Sadly, no. When/if they ever start selling a legal limit version of the 939 I'm going to buy it right away, though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the 939y for my FT-991A.  It works great.  Very fast tuning, and only one cable connection other than antenna.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You don't want any of that LDG junk. You want some Mighty Fine Junk, seriously. ....
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the LDG IT-100 tuners and since buying an amp, the AT-1000 (an older model) with good results.  Absolutely no
problems with the IT-100's.  

Initially I had tuning problems on 40 meters with the AT-1000, a known issue with this early model.  I had gotten it new-in-box
at a very good price, and could not complain since LDG upgraded it with a newer circuit board at no cost to me.  It has worked
perfectly ever since.

I have some good quality manual tuners, too, a couple of Daiwas and an Ameritron.  It's been my experience, that if the LDG
won't find a tuning solution on a particular antenna at a particular frequency, then you won't be able to tune it with a manual
tuner, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top