Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 10:07:53 PM EDT
Anybody have one of these?  40 meter 7watt AM SSB kit (95% already assembled) for $59 from India.  Designed to be hackable by the user, comes with a Arduino Nano.   Lotsa Youtube videos.  hfsigs.com.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I do, still in wrapper from India
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested in getting one.  From a prepper perspective it would be good to be able to transmit on HF.   My main reservation is that I don't have an antenna anywhere close to working with 40 meters, and it appears to be much more involved than getting an antenna that works for 2 meters.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I got one a couple of weeks ago, went together in about an hour, receives good, have not tried to transmit yet . Looking at different firmware options for the arduino vfo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested in getting one.  From a pepper perspective it would be good to be able to broadcast on HF.   My main reservation is that I don't have an antenna anywhere close to working with 40 meters, and it appears to be much more involved than getting an antenna that works for 2 meters.
View Quote

Every Antenna is a compromise.  My Packtenna Classic works like crazy on 40, it's simply a portable tuned 40m dipole, hung at 22' on the mast it's amazing!

ETA: How-to build a 40m Dipole
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, alright, you convinced me.
Ordered!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From a prepper perspective it would be good to be able to broadcast on HF.   My main reservation is....
View Quote

... That you don't know what you're doing now, and sure as hell won't know what you're doing when your fantasy comes to life and comms are do-or-die?

What we can, will, and won't do here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I want one.  I have been following the bitx development for a while.  This version is the best kit for a beginner, there is a reputable eBay seller who sells bare PCBs up to complete kits.  

I should order, I always wait and kits are gone when I am ready to pull the trigger.

Edit: I ordered it.  On YouTube search for K7AGE or KE0OG (kilo echo zero oscar gulf) both guys are doing bitx40 vids using the hfsigs version.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

... That you don't know what you're doing now, and sure as hell won't know what you're doing when your fantasy comes to life and comms are do-or-die?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From a prepper perspective it would be good to be able to broadcast on HF.   My main reservation is....

A couple typos on my part.  I said pepper when I mean prepper, and broadcast when I meant transmit.  I went back and fixed it.  Not sure why that agitated you, did you mean to be in General Discussion ?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Figure out what you are going to do for a case while you're waiting for it to be delivered.  I neglected to do this and am now waiting on a case... from India lol.  I plan to take mine to Montana this summer and see what I can do.  I have an Elecraft mic just collecting dust that I plan to use with mine... once the case arrives... from India lol.  I really didn't think through that whole thing.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yay!!!  This forum is becoming more like QRZ.com..........
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone got a case/enclosure recommendation??  Mine showed up the other day.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't ordered mine yet, but here's a link to somebody with really nice packaging for his radio.  Quite a bit nicer than Dymo labels.

He claims to have it connected to an AlexLoop antenna on his balcony, whatever that is, I'm not familiar with it.  The link indicates he explains his antenna elsewhere.

BITX40 with balcony mounted AlexLoop antenna
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I completed mine last weekend, 3d printed the case.  Still a few things to fix.  Transmit test on PSK worked, waiting for the 6 pin dins to come in so I can make a cable to run this to my Wolphilink.  Manually PTT with DroidPSK is a pain in the ass.  

Video Link
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I received mine, now I'm trying to find time to assemble it.  I'm still looking at enclosures, my printer is only 2-D.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A couple typos on my part.  I said pepper when I mean prepper, and broadcast when I meant transmit.  I went back and fixed it.  Not sure why that agitated you, did you mean to be in General Discussion ?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay attention to the link he posted to you. If you are in a rush skip to paragraph 7 and go from there.

In short, unless you have an amateur license it will be unlawful for you to use your radio and without practice you won't be able to effectively use it when needed. Getting a license is relatively easy and will give you the knowledge you need to get it to work and understand why it doesn't work at times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In short, unless you have an amateur license it will be unlawful for you to use your radio to transmit and without practice you won't be able to effectively use it when needed. Getting a license is relatively easy and will give you the knowledge you need to get it to work and understand why it doesn't work at times.
View Quote
Added text I am sure Bronco meant to add.

You don't have to get licensed if you are truly planning only for SHTF, but it is a much better idea to learn to use the gear now.

The license doesn't give you any useful knowledge inherently.  It gives you permission to start transmitting.  There are tons of licensed operators out there that have no idea how the gear really works and no interest in learning that.  But most of them have played with whatever gear they have enough to be effective, if not polite, operators of their equipment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm interested in getting one.  From a prepper perspective it would be good to be able to transmit on HF.   My main reservation is that I don't have an antenna anywhere close to working with 40 meters, and it appears to be much more involved than getting an antenna that works for 2 meters.
View Quote
A 40M dipole is a simple as wire from Home Depot or Lowes.  I won't assume that you're unlicensed.  I'll assume that you are unpracticed so far.
And that you will practice.  Because from a prepper perspective you know that practicing as if the training was the real thing is important for when it is the real thing.

When you're hungry is not the time to learn to hunt/trap & skin/cook.
When you're hurt is not the time to learn first aid.
When you're being attacked is not the time to learn to use your firearms.
When you need to communicate is not the time to learn to use your radio.

True enough right?
If you need help determining the relationship between frequency and length you probably should review the ham radio 101 posting here.
If you need practical advice on how to get an antenna up in the air from folks that have been there/done that we are definitely the group to ask.
happy prepping.  And remember - bad weather makes good training. :)
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your concern, I know you're trying to do the right thing.  

I already have a Tech license, which I use to communicate on my Kenwood mobile and a few handheld Cheap Chinese Radios.  All are VHF and UHF.  The CCRs are funny, they're not really ham radios, they're VHF/UHF radios that happen to include 2m and 70cm.  I'll probably put some of them in my EMP can.

I have no experience with 40 meter, or any other HF, and so I knew that before I could use the BITX40 I would have to 1) acquire my General license, and 2) get an antenna suitable for 40 meters.

I am in the process of studying for the General.  When I find time I'll investigate the antenna.

Everything is A-OK and under control.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have no experience with 40 meter, or any other HF, and so I knew that before I could use the BITX40 I would have to 1) acquire my General license, and 2) get an antenna suitable for 40 meters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is not true.  You have TX privileges as a Tech on 80 and 40 if you use CW.

Quoted:
I am in the process of studying for the General.  When I find time I'll investigate the antenna.

Everything is A-OK and under control.  

General is a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
This is not true. You have TX privileges as a Tech on 80 and 40 if you use CW.  
View Quote
Yes, somebody pointed that out to me in the Bayou Jumper thread.  

However ... the BITX40 does not support CW without modification, as I understand it.  The good news is that the BITX40 is designed to facilitate experimentation.  I think some folks have modified it to support CW, as well as other HF frequencies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#22]
hilarious.
but I thought I was supposed to be learning di-dah-di, not beep. :)
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess the trolls didn't want to debate after all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, somebody pointed that out to me in the Bayou Jumper thread.  

However ... the BITX40 does not support CW without modification, as I understand it.  The good news is that the BITX40 is designed to facilitate experimentation.  I think some folks have modified it to support CW, as well as other HF frequencies.
View Quote
fldigi could still send the CW carrier at whatever offset from your current SB freq you select on the waterfall.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Figure out what you are going to do for a case while you're waiting for it to be delivered.  I neglected to do this and am now waiting on a case... from India lol.  I plan to take mine to Montana this summer and see what I can do.  I have an Elecraft mic just collecting dust that I plan to use with mine... once the case arrives... from India lol.  I really didn't think through that whole thing.

Good luck and have fun!
View Quote
What kind of case did you get?

I was thinking of a nice wood base, then aluminum or plexiglass walls.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Latest Raduino 1.11 supports CW.  Few hardware changes and you are gtg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top