Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually limbered up the KX3 + amplifier and had a  short CW QSO.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not today but soon...................my G5RV came down today , So I'll be figuring out how to get the pulley down and re-thread my tension line through it to get back on the air !
It's always something !!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, not nearly as cool as some of the stuff you guys have done, but I got a 15.6" Nagoya whip for my UV-5R a couple days ago. 

Attachment Attached File

Anxiously awaiting the FCC to post my call sign. Recently passed my tech but I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Have picked up a couple of local transmissions thanks to this antenna, but I've just been listening.
Hoping to better understand some of the jargon used and proper radio etiquette. Test questions only teach you so much. Excited to learn more!

ETA: Eventually I'll get my general and a rig for my truck. Still have a lot to learn even with this little HT though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Finished up the regulated 13.8 VDC @ 1.5 A power supply for my 2.5 Watt crystal controlled QRP rig.

The transmitter:

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Putting together my new AV-680 antenna.  

Got the DX Engineering Omni-Tilt bracket bolted to the top of our office building last night.

Been assembling the antenna this morning.

Hopefully I can send it some RF by the end of day.

The top of this thing is going to be at about 60 feet.

Pics:
The DX Engineering OmniTilt bolted directly to the concrete wall.  That is HEAVY wall conduit, not the regular EMT stuff BTW.

Attachment Attached File

Dave putting the bottom bolts in the OnmiTilt after raising the lower mast.  After lowering the pipe assembly we decided to mount the pipe an inch higher to allow it to come further down before contacting the wall.  We forgot the antiseize on those bolts and had to SawzAll them off.  Lowes had stainless replacements that were a little shorter anyway.

Attachment Attached File

It's up!  Put a cheap coax on it to see if we have any tune at all.  Turns out that the stub radiators are darn near dead on and perfectly usable as-is so 6, 10, 12, and 17 are near perfect.  40 and 80 are a little narrow in bandwidth but that may be related to an issue we are having with 20.  That band is crazy out of whack.  If I keep power under five watts SWR is decent on 20 but as soon as I hit six watts it shoots to halfway between 3 and infinity on the 7300.  If I punch 100 to it SWR gets even worse.  I would hate to be near those CP wires when I do that!  Unfortunately I cannot call Hy-Gain until next week - they're in Dayton.

Still need to ground the mast (waiting on a big #4 size crimper and the lugs)

I don't want to do any other tuning until I figure out 20 since thay may affect everything else.  10 is flat undetectable SWR.  12 is 2.0 to 1.7 botton to top of band so I will move that down.  15 is 1.0 to 1.1 bottom to top.  30 is 2.0 to 2.7 so I need to move it up.

It looks like I really need a good analyzer for this.  The HR360 doesn't seem to work well with this antenna like it does with my portable vertical.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just worked Mauritania, 5T0xx, on 20 Meters, 50 Watts to a trap dipole while running the SKCC Week End Sprint.

ETA: 14.050.5 MHz if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice one Frank.  I just got Venezuela on 17m cw. pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Installed an ID-4100A in my car. Still have some work to do, but I can listen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Volunteered for a community service event running communications.....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Putting together my new AV-680 antenna.  

Got the DX Engineering Omni-Tilt bracket bolted to the top of our office building last night.

Been assembling the antenna this morning.

Hopefully I can send it some RF by the end of day.

The top of this thing is going to be at about 60 feet.

Pics:
The DX Engineering OmniTilt bolted directly to the concrete wall.  That is HEAVY wall conduit, not the regular EMT stuff BTW.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/186713/IMG-1312---Copy-208827.JPG

Dave putting the bottom bolts in the OnmiTilt after raising the lower mast.  After lowering the pipe assembly we decided to mount the pipe an inch higher to allow it to come further down before contacting the wall.  We forgot the antiseize on those bolts and had to SawzAll them off.  Lowes had stainless replacements that were a little shorter anyway.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/186713/IMG-1313---Copy-208828.JPG

It's up!  Put a cheap coax on it to see if we have any tune at all.  Turns out that the stub radiators are darn near dead on and perfectly usable as-is so 6, 10, 12, and 17 are near perfect.  40 and 80 are a little narrow in bandwidth but that may be related to an issue we are having with 20.  That band is crazy out of whack.  If I keep power under five watts SWR is decent on 20 but as soon as I hit six watts it shoots to halfway between 3 and infinity on the 7300.  If I punch 100 to it SWR gets even worse.  I would hate to be near those CP wires when I do that!  Unfortunately I cannot call Hy-Gain until next week - they're in Dayton.

Still need to ground the mast (waiting on a big #4 size crimper and the lugs)

I don't want to do any other tuning until I figure out 20 since thay may affect everything else.  10 is flat undetectable SWR.  12 is 2.0 to 1.7 botton to top of band so I will move that down.  15 is 1.0 to 1.1 bottom to top.  30 is 2.0 to 2.7 so I need to move it up.

It looks like I really need a good analyzer for this.  The HR360 doesn't seem to work well with this antenna like it does with my portable vertical.
View Quote
Those verticals, being a high Q design, can be real picky about nearby conductive objects. The issue on 20 meters can be caused by poor connection somewhere. I would start with the coax connectors first and then check the traps and the 20m stub (if it has one, can't remember now). Also, check connections in the areas where current is high due to SWR and antenna design.
Sometimes RF blocking coils (used for DC static drain) go bad inside the matching section on the bottom which can cause arcing at higher power settings. It may only arc on 20 meters due to higher than normal SWR (due to high voltage at that part of the antenna).

I once helped a guy to make his new Cushcraft R8 work. It only worked for several months and he started getting high SWR. I found the whole match section enclosure was full of water. The guy bought it new and noticed a small hole on the bottom of the box and "fixed" it by sealing it with silicone sealant. LOL. The drain hole was there for a reason. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally got my antenna analyzer put together and working, and completed a project I've been wanting to do for a long time. I finally took the non working factory stereo out of my car, put a new one in, and mounted my Kenwood TM-281A in the slot beneath it. Took a bit of engineering, but it fits beautifully and looks a hell of a lot better than where it was mounted before.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Those verticals, being a high Q design, can be real picky about nearby conductive objects. The issue on 20 meters can be caused by poor connection somewhere. I would start with the coax connectors first and then check the traps and the 20m stub (if it has one, can't remember now). Also, check connections in the areas where current is high due to SWR and antenna design.
Sometimes RF blocking coils (used for DC static drain) go bad inside the matching section on the bottom which can cause arcing at higher power settings. It may only arc on 20 meters due to higher than normal SWR (due to high voltage at that part of the antenna).

I once helped a guy to make his new Cushcraft R8 work. It only worked for several months and he started getting high SWR. I found the whole match section enclosure was full of water. The guy bought it new and noticed a small hole on the bottom of the box and "fixed" it by sealing it with silicone sealant. LOL. The drain hole was there for a reason. LOL.
View Quote
I had a look at the antenna when I lowered it this evening in preparation for some incoming storms.  It's not guyed yet and, while rated to 65 mph winds free-flopping, why chance it?

I don't see anything that looks like arcing in the match box but I can't see the back side of the board without desoldering the 259 and I don't want to do that and jeopardize any warranty.  I looked at the 20M section of the coils and nothing looks strange there.

The only issue I had when assembling was how the top aluminum pieces secure to the hollow fiberglass coil section.  There is one hole through the fiberglass for a cross bolt but three holes in the aluminum and the instructions only say put aluminum in fiberglass and insert screw.  One hole would only leave 3/4 inch in the fiberglass (weak) and the wire to connect would not reach any of the others.  The next one sort of works but the third hole is halfway covered by the fiberglass so there is no way to insert the screw with the connecting wire.  If I used the third there is no exposed hole to connect the wire.  So I guessed on the middle one and ground a little fiberglass out of the way to allow a connection for the wire.  Unfortunately all their tech guys are on the way to Dayton.

I did some radio this evening and 6M and 10M were hopping!  I got some guys in TX on 10M that said I was booming in and reached quite a few guys in Florida and Georgia on 6M.  6M was very surprising to me - I was hearing guys all the way into the Caribbean.  I haven't had an antenna that would do either of those bands at all.  I think 6M is going to be fun.  The 6M guys seem to be grid square collectors.

I tried some MSK144 on 6M but after every TX period the 7300 was resetting to USB (non data) and FIL2.  It was getting frustrating.  PSK Reporter did show I was making it quite a distance.

Tomorrow, if it's not storming, I'll go back on the roof and pull apart the 20M section of the coil assembly and check continuity through the wire.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I programmed my HT for use at Dayton.

I'm really starting to hate this Yaesu and will probably look for a new HT at Dayton.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Volunteered for a community service event running communications.....
View Quote
AAR?  Your first time?  I used to like doing those events but I haven't done one in a few years, mostly due to work commitments.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Tried JT65 for the first time and snagged my first contact on a new mode. Kinda like it too
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Worked special event station N3S (K3SAV - nuke ship Savanna) in Baltimore on 20 CW.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#17]
It's early morning. I could not sleep and went to my shack thinking about calling CQ on 40m CW. To my surprise, 20 meters had lots of stations on the bandscope. There was a huge opening into Australia. I heard VK2 portable  station calling CQ and gave him a call. NO problem. Good signal both ways. He was operating his portable from a park, running 70 Watts into a 1/2 wave vertical. SSB voice. The guy was thrilled.
Called CQ and got 8 more calls from Australian stations. Not bad considering that the band is "officially closed"
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tried JT65 for the first time and snagged my first contact on a new mode. Kinda like it too
View Quote
I like the digital modes also.  I can work them in the office while I fix people's networks!  I started doing a lot of JT before I got my new antenna since phone was nearly impossible unless the other side had a huge set of ears up there.

Nothing like JT-Alert saying "Wanted State!" to brighten up your day!

Tonight I've been seeing just how LOW I can go with JT9 and still make contacts.  I just got a new MFJ-993B tuner with the digital and needle wattmeters.

I'm under a 1.5W watt on 40M and people are still reporting R-10 to R-17 at about 1300-1500 miles.  That is just so amazing to me.  The digital meter stops reporting that low so I have to use the analog.

Less watts than a single AA battery.  

Attachment Attached File

(I'm on the low power scale setting!)

ETA:  Just moved to lower power after doing lots of DX at 7W to do some stateside CQ.  Worked a Germany station that answered - 4800 miles on 1.5W and got R-17.  I've been doing lots of reading on the JT modes and avoiding distortion is MUCH more important than TX power.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Played a little last night on phone - now that I can.

I ran into one of the Ham Nation special event stations celebrating 300 episodes on 40M, looked them up on QRZ, and they're having a contest / challenge to reach all their 1x1 stations plus other challenge tasks.

Got through Val's pile up and got to hear myself on their video on Twit.tv this morning.  First time I've been able to hear how well I get out and see a pile up from the station operator's perspective.  I was quite pleased at how well I got out with the new cloud poker.

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight!  I could get 50 points if I got off my butt and take the test for extra too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#20]
20 meters is wide open into Europe. I just had a nice chat with my buddy in Czech Republic. He was peaking at S9+30 and he gave me a 59+20 report. It was just like he was sitting next door. He has a stack of four, 5 element Yagis at about 60 ft, on top of a mountain. He was also running an Acom 2000 fully automatic amplifier with full output (his words ). He wants me to come back for a visit and join them for a small DX-Pedition. Wish I could but life keeps on bringing "lemons".
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in Cleveland for the weekend. Jumped on a couple local repeaters with my ft60. Getting ready for the wedding, I was scanning and heard a distress call go out from a boater on a FRS freq. The coast guard kept trying to convince him to stay in the boat as long as possible, but the guy seemed intent on bailing. I'm not sure if this is the event, but the timeline matches up for Today.

http://wsbt.com/news/regional/man-dies-another-rescued-after-boat-capsizes-in-lake-erie
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Got a West Mountain Radio CBA IV unit.  So far I've made it through 3 of my 9 batteries and working on #4.  And you thought JT65 was like watching paint dry.  Sitting here waiting for batteries to discharge made JT65 seem busy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Just made it into HD2RRC/4 on Salango Island SA033 - a Russian Robinson Club DXpedition.

Best I've done so far on SSB with my new cloud sticker.

He's on 14.260 listening down 5 as of about 00:15 UTC today.  It's their last day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Tracked down a "RF in the shack" problem.  Well, I hope I did.  Not sure if you can really call it RF, though.  Seems to be something about the patch box I made to simplify hooking my paddles/keys to the radios.  

We'll see.....

Edit:  Nope, the problem is still there, which is a good thing in a way, because that means there is nothing wrong with my patch box.

However, I think I may have found the problem after all.  The cable that runs from the keyer to to the K3 was touching the the USB cable that runs from the K3 to the computer.  Separate the cables, and voila...no more problems.  Kind of surprised there is enough mojo in that keyer cable to cause a problem, though.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Replaced the haul up line for the 80m FWL open wire feed point - again....  Damn squirrels chewed it in two for the second time this year!

Of course, had to repair the wrist rocket line launcher twice during the process, once for the reel retention getting loose & once for a tear on a latex power tube.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Started "in earnest" on my BitX40 project.

Found and gutted an old CB chassis which has usable power supply transformer and enough room

inside the chassis to work or add accessory boards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

BitX40 powered up to make sure it works. It does, and pretty well I might add considering the short piece of wire

I used for a receive antenna.

Attachment Attached File

Mocking up the chassis and front panel v1.

Attachment Attached File

Going with a full wave bridge rectifier instead of the 1/2 wave OEM unit. I'll be using an LM7812

to supply the main board with 12vdc and wire the PA section to either run from the 7812 or

from the raw unregulated DC which should be about 16 volts giving higher RF output.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Had some issues with uploads from QRZ to LOTW so I renewed my TQSL certificate & re-uploaded the ADIF files that had bounced.   Turned out I finally had enough confirmations for a LOTW WAS (phone) cert...

Nick
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I played in the VHF contest this past weekend.  Everything went well as long as I remembered to connect my antennas!

I'm still around, just not as active on here with other things going on in my life.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I forgot about this thread but I was also on the air for the VHF contest off and on for a few hours last Sunday.

Wasn't crazy by any means but put a few new grids in the logbook on 6, a couple of 700 mile 2 meter contacts, and worked someone at ~175 miles on 70cm with less than 5 watts. With very minimal antennas by VHF contest standards.

There are some pretty inexpensive transverters available from an online vendor that are supposedly ok, thought about getting one for 222 but didn't pull the trigger early enough to have it ready. Will have to think about that this summer for the Sept contest.

And someday I'll get some better antennas up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Have not been radioactive for a couple months but got my second tower up yesterday.  Just a 55' telescoping tower, but should make a huge difference in contest scores having a mult tower.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#31]
My son and I put up a 30 foot mast with a 2m/70cm omni on top and a G5RV in an inverted V configuration.

Next weekend, we'll install the lightning arrestors, run the last lines of coax and ground the radios and we will be back on the air!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Replaced another squirrel chewed haul up line, this time the 160m inverted L coming off a 40m trap at the top of the Hustler 6BTV...

Nick
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Took the Navy flameproof key apart, and figured out how to clean the contacts.  Then, I made and stained a new base for it.  I'll put the finish on after the stain drys for a day or two.  Also, I built up a new cord and checked out the key on the cmos-4 keyer. It works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Took down a 35" tower, 5' and 18 bolts and locknuts a section.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Gonna have to declare a pogrom on squirrels!  Had to replace the haul up line for the 80m FWL feed point again this morning.  Only good part is it is over a better limb than the last time...

Nick
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gonna have to declare a pogrom on squirrels!  Had to replace the haul up line for the 80m FWL feed point again this morning.  Only good part is it is over a better limb than the last time...

Nick
View Quote
I tried to warn you guys some time ago!  They seem to love wire and feedlines.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#37]
finally got an nmo mount installed in the '17 jeep gc. Now I really don't want to, LOL, but I think I'm going to have to buy an icom 2730A to put in. I don't like the tmv-71 for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Got on the radio and called CQ on 20 meters. Got a small pile-up going for a while. Lots of South American stations and later quite a few Australians and even one from Papua and New Guinea (turns out he used to live in South Carolina ).

Someone kept trying to call me but he was off the frequency by 300 Hz. I finally used RIT and heard him somewhat clearly. It took me a while to understand his call sign. He mumbled a lot and used wrong phonetics, like - Dog, Frank, Table, William... LOL.
I finally got it. It turns out that the guy just passed his test and I was the first station he ever talked to. Wow! He just got a new radio and had no clue what most of the buttons were for. His voice was a bit shaky but he was tickled to death to talk to a station (me) almost 2000 miles away! He even asked me if I was really in South Carolina as he was in Nevada. This kind of made my day
I got my QSL card filled out for him, ready to go out. This does not happen often. My previous first timer contact was about 4 years ago, on 2 meters, with a local guy who just got his Technician license.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#39]
aaaannnnndddd  the 160m inverted L wire down again this AM.  Got a much better limb for the haul up line on this redo, though.  Hopefully mostly clear of squirrel territory this time (previously passed through the top branches of a red bud) crossing a high sweet gum branch & not near much else.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got on the radio and called CQ on 20 meters. Got a small pile-up going for a while. Lots of South American stations and later quite a few Australians and even one from Papua and New Guinea (turns out he used to live in South Carolina ).

Someone kept trying to call me but he was off the frequency by 300 Hz. I finally used RIT and heard him somewhat clearly. It took me a while to understand his call sign. He mumbled a lot and used wrong phonetics, like - Dog, Frank, Table, William... LOL.
I finally got it. It turns out that the guy just passed his test and I was the first station he ever talked to. Wow! He just got a new radio and had no clue what most of the buttons were for. His voice was a bit shaky but he was tickled to death to talk to a station (me) almost 2000 miles away! He even asked me if I was really in South Carolina as he was in Nevada. This kind of made my day
I got my QSL card filled out for him, ready to go out. This does not happen often. My previous first timer contact was about 4 years ago, on 2 meters, with a local guy who just got his Technician license.
View Quote
I remember well the first time I used my HF rig after getting my rig - heck, it was something like six months ago.  The only thing I could think of was "OK, don't screw this up, answer with this, he's going to answer with that, exchange RST, do the 73s, etc."  Of course, it probably didn't help that I had hooked the radio to my antenna for the first time an hour before and there were lots of people talking.  It was ARRL SS weekend!  What a perfect opportunity to talk to lots of people I thought.

Then I pressed the mic, put out my call, heard it repeated back to me, and PANIC!  All that careful scripting (I had even a written crib sheet) went into the toilet.  Uhhh, ummmm, errrrr, HI!

It took a handful of QSOs before I kind of figured out the flow of things.  Then I had to start figuring out what the knobs and buttons did and how the filters worked so I could zero in on the more difficult stations.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
aaaannnnndddd  the 160m inverted L wire down again this AM.  Got a much better limb for the haul up line on this redo, though.  Hopefully mostly clear of squirrel territory this time (previously passed through the top branches of a red bud) crossing a high sweet gum branch & not near much else.

Nick
View Quote
Dude, quit spreading peanut butter on your antennas! Are you sure there is no squirrel farm near your QTH?
You know, some of the local rednecks here in the south, do enjoy squirrel stew a lot. It's not that bad one you get used to it. There are lots or illustrated cooking directions on Youtube. Keep the fur and have a squirrel fur coat made for your XYL. Tell her it's mink
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Squirrel farm is pretty close to the truth.  XYL feeds "her" birds & even though a fence charger keeps squirrels (& racoons) away from the feeders, there is still plenty that falls to the ground - also "scratch" feed gets spread for the doves & everything likes to pick through that for corn ....

Nick
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I remember well the first time I used my HF rig after getting my rig - heck, it was something like six months ago.  The only thing I could think of was "OK, don't screw this up, answer with this, he's going to answer with that, exchange RST, do the 73s, etc."  Of course, it probably didn't help that I had hooked the radio to my antenna for the first time an hour before and there were lots of people talking.  It was ARRL SS weekend!  What a perfect opportunity to talk to lots of people I thought.

Then I pressed the mic, put out my call, heard it repeated back to me, and PANIC!  All that careful scripting (I had even a written crib sheet) went into the toilet.  Uhhh, ummmm, errrrr, HI!

It took a handful of QSOs before I kind of figured out the flow of things.  Then I had to start figuring out what the knobs and buttons did and how the filters worked so I could zero in on the more difficult stations.
View Quote
Wow. I wish I remembered my first contact. It was so long ago (30+ years). I used to operate with my dad's call sign long before I got mine. Technically my dad was supposed to be there every time I transmitted but this was not always the case. This was when I lived in Russia. Back then it was very hard to get licensed. I had to be a shortwave listener for several years with a verified proof of many QSL cards I collected, before I could apply for a personal HF license. The test was very hard. We did not have a convenience of multiple choice questions and a study book with published answers. I was literally verbally drilled by a couple of examiners for several hours. They asked all kinds of theory questions and obviously I had to answer them all verbally. Then there was a demonstrated ability test where I had to set up and interconnect a home brew HF radio, antennas, antenna rotator and all the rest of the stuff at the club station. Then I had to make several SSB voice and CW contacts on several HF bands. I passed. On the way home I picked up a small bottle on cognac and had a few shots to calm my nerves and to celebrate the accomplishment. I was about 16 and have never been much of a drinker but this was a special day. LOL
My first contact here in the US was a woman on a 2 meter repeater in Wichita, KS. Believe it or not but I have been a ham for many years and have worked 200+ DX entities before I made my first contact on 2 meters FM. I kept saying "over" at the end of transmission and almost said -"you are five by nine" several times.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#44]
So I got to tinkering with my solar panel (a 100W thin and flexible unit) and some PVC pipe as a mounting system. Originally i just had it setup like a sandwich board but wanted to try something a little different. Brought home a couple sticks of PVC some elbows and T connectors and now I have this which allows me to adjust azimuth and elevation of the panel:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I can still convert it to the sandwich board style:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm partial to the sandwich board setup as it's easier to setup and only takes half the PVC (and cost) of the swivel base.

Having some sort of adjustable mount to get the panel perpendicular to the sun makes a huge difference in the amount of power it produces in the morning and evening hours.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Assembled and hooked up my new Elecraft KPA500 amp.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Assembled and hooked up my new Elecraft KPA500 amp.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally, solved my computer noise problem. Plugged in, but not turned on, my shack computer supply was killing 40M. The noise had some sinusoidal properties so small parts of the band were usable until the noise drifted.  I found the PX3 addition to my KX3 very helpful in spotting the noise, for some reason the supply only killed 40M. First item were some Mix 43 beads on the power cord, I actually cut off the line plug, put the beads (10) in place and put on a new plug. This knocked down the noise about 10 Db. On the PX3 at this point the noise was at -85 Db where my normal band noise was nearer -100 Db with the computer unplugged. I found some .01 mfd. AC rated, 275VAC bypass caps and mounted these inside the supply, on the AC plug. I put a cap on each side of the line to ground and one between the neutral and high side of the input. Initially, I could only hear (see) the noise when the antenna was connected so I can't give any sort of real reduction in Db. but the noise is undetectable in comparison to the band noise today, just below -100 on the PX3. The hardest part of the job was soldering in the caps when I cheapened out on disconnecting all the ports and taking the computer to the bench.  It was a toss up of poor lighting and poor lighting and sitting on the floor in a horrible position for my back. Luckily, there were no near by neighbors to catch the expletives.
Rob
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#48]
This year's field day found me overtaken by events. I've just installed echolink on my laptop. I'm traveling to an interesting location in the Caribbean in a few days, so hit me up for an EL QSO.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top