Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 11:04:47 PM EDT
Have been looking for some time for a Jackson 591 capacitor tester. I learned of these from the great instructional videos put out by Paul Carlson (google "Mr. Carlson's Lab"). While digital capacitance meters are readily available, what they can't do is check for leakage, and it seems that's where most of these old caps fall short.

Finally acquired one, and just replaced its capacitors, so what is the first thing to do? Obviously test the old caps removed from the 591. Here's a rather poor, dark video, but I wanted the "magic eye" to stand out. The cap I'm testing is rated for 600 volts. I tested at 6 volts, followed by 20, 100 and then 200 volts. Notice the eye doesn't open at all at 200 volts. Yup, that's a leaker!

http://vid195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/5912_zpsq6x214hg.mp4

The unit also tests capacitance, and while I didn't buy it for that function, it's amazingly accurate. Sometimes old tech is good tech!

BTW: I don't have a manual for this, and I don't quite understand the "power factor" control. Anyone know the function of this?

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure of the exact formula and too lazy to look it up, but Power Factor is a ratio of capacitive reactance and leakage/internal resistance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Frank-

That helps, I'll do some research.  Jim...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If the power factor control works the same as on my Heathkit C-3 bridge, it's worked along with the capacity control for maximum deflection of the magic eye tube. It's like tuning a Pi Network final.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again, Frank!

I grabbed a manual for that Heath and read through it. I think I have a grasp on it now.    Jim...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top