Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 1:42:50 PM EDT
I've been reading up on JT modes....really like the idea of a weak signal DX mode that I can use quietly at night.

Anyone here have a recommendation on an interface?
I'm looking at the Signal Link USB...but knowing nothing about digital modes (or how they might work on my 718) I figured I'd get some feedback here.
Also, what software do you guys recommend for DX work?
I'm honestly looking for the simplest interface I can get...it would be on a Windows 10 platform...not looking for a super complicated interface that I need to spend a month learning...just something that will establish the basic parameters of the mode and let me transmit and receive.

I've never done anything besides phone and a few hours of CW...this is all new to me so I have a million questions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The SignalLink USB is by far the easiest way to do Digi...unless you have a rig with a USB interface built-in. The 718 does not, check swap.qth.com for a used one and maybe save some $$... I have bought 2 from there.

Eta: FlDigi is free software, can't remember what they use for JT modes?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
For the JT modes, many, if not most, of us use WSJT-X.

FLDIGI for the other digital modes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and you will need to keep the clock on your computer  synchronized to zulu time, when using the JT modes.  Dimension 4 runs in the background, and works like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh, and you will need to keep the clock on your computer  synchronized to zulu time, when using the JT modes.  Dimension 4 runs in the background, and works like a champ.
View Quote

Done

Got that out of the way...now need to figure out the hard stuff
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
dont forget to check for the windows bug that turns up the microphone gain on your computer.  You will not decode worth a darn.

copied from the redit site.

The Updated Fix: Thankfully you can remove the microphone boost gain added by windows manually and it will stick and be remembered and you will never have to touch it again. In Windows control panel, click sound. Click on the recording tab. Keep an eye on the green level meter next to your radio device. On the radio device, click properties, then go to the levels tab. Right click on the slider and change the value from Percentage to DB. If 100% on the slider reads +30db, you are affected by the bug. If the device was properly enumerated as a line in device, 100% on the slider would be 0db. Now if you have confirmed the device is seen as a microphone and +30db has been added, lower the slider until it reads as close to 0db as possible. The closest you will be able to get is most likely -0.4db or so, which is fine and much better than +30. That's it! Now windows is now longer adding it's own gain, and you can turn your radios AF/USB output and/or signalink RX back up out of its own noise floor.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I can recommend the Signalink, it is what I used when I had a 718.

Definately use WSJT and get the add-on JT-Alert
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the info guys...I downloaded and installed WSJT-X and have my laptop clock synced with the dimension 4 software.

Only thing left is to get the signal link unit.
I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but at the same time, I feel like im not going to learn anything until I have the software interfacing with the radio.

Super excited to work new parts of the world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You can use FlDigi and audio couple with a speaker/headphone and decode PSK or whatever untill you get your SL!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend the Rigblaster Plug & Play for an interface. Compact and super simple. WSJT-X is the best for software. It's easy to learn and you'll be up and running pretty quickly. JT65 is a lot of fun, and great for working DX quietly in the evenings with minimal power and antennas..
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The RigExpert and microHAM interfaces are top of the line. Well shielded. None of the internal noise problems that plague the Signalink. True hardware PTT, not the VOX-to-hardware thing that the Signalink does. True CW keyer. True FSK (if RTTY is your thing). Built-in CAT interface (you have to get a separate CAT interface to go with the Signalink).

Yes, either one is twice the price. And, don't get me wrong, the Signalink is totally serviceable. But I've used both and I can say I much prefer the microHAM. However, if I was still in the knobified, non-networked radio game, I think I would now spend the extra bucks for a RigExpert WTI-1. With that and the remotehams.com rcforb client and server software you can use your radio from your laptop from anywhere in the house, or anywhere on the planet.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]

If you want to play with decodes in the meantime, plug a mic into the audio in on the lappy and just lay it next to the radios speaker with wsjtx running and tuned to an appropriate freq for JT modes.

It'll decode just fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been muddling through with a kit build digital interface for months. I finally got a Signalink a few days ago and it is way better. The PTT feature allows me to use the software directly to key the radio instead of running HRD.

Anyone use a Signalink for SSTV?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been muddling through with a kit build digital interface for months. I finally got a Signalink a few days ago and it is way better. The PTT feature allows me to use the software directly to key the radio instead of running HRD.

View Quote

I have. It works fine for that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know. Back in late spring/early summer I was getting "ok" decodes from a station in CA that was transmitting images back and forth with a station I couldn't hear. I was using my kit build connected to an Android phone. I later bought a Wolphilink interface (made by an Android Dev that makes a bunch of ham apps) and it works well. I haven't installed any SSTV software on my windows computer yet because the Android seems to work and is simple to use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would recommend the Rigblaster Plug & Play for an interface. Compact and super simple. WSJT-X is the best for software. It's easy to learn and you'll be up and running pretty quickly. JT65 is a lot of fun, and great for working DX quietly in the evenings with minimal power and antennas..
View Quote

I had that combination for several years (718 + Plug & Play) and it worked very well for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you want to play with decodes in the meantime, plug a mic into the audio in on the lappy and just lay it next to the radios speaker with wsjtx running and tuned to an appropriate freq for JT modes.

It'll decode just fine.
View Quote

I gotta try that...will do...ought to be a great test of weak signals and poor S/N ratio receiving :)
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

[begin nerd speak]
But is there an easy way to get KVASD on Mint since the PPA distro seems to be "unhappy".
[/end nerd speak]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

If I reformat again, and re-re-request another LotW TQSL cert they're going to think something is up .

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#21]
New question....what mode should the radio be in to operate JT modes?

From what I can glean from the guides I am seeing online, the rigs are tuned using either USB or LSB depending on the frequency.
May I assume that I just use the traditional SSB setting for the band I'm on?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Negative. Always use USB for digi modes on all bands.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#23]
LINK LINK

For new on digital you need to check this.  Your decode will suffer on all digital modes..

Prosise
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LINK LINK

For new on digital you need to check this.  Your decode wilk suffer on all digital modes..

Prosise
View Quote

Wow, thanks!  That made a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LINK LINK

For new on digital you need to check this.  Your decode will suffer on all digital modes..

Prosise
View Quote

Saw thus early in my research and checked my settings. I had experimented with recording on the laptop in the past so it was actually already set up properly. Thanks for the reminder though....will check it again when I get the interface
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my signalink today. Wired up everything but something is still not right. Unable to trigger the PTT when I send from the computer. Need to check to see if there is a setting on the rig that sets up the accessory port. Aside from that I'm stumped.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got my signalink today. Wired up everything but something is still not right. Unable to trigger the PTT when I send from the computer. Need to check to see if there is a setting on the rig that sets up the accessory port. Aside from that I'm stumped.
View Quote

What digital software are you using?  IIRC when I had my 718 it was usually a CAT command issue.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What digital software are you using?  IIRC when I had my 718 it was usually a CAT command issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using WSJT-X

Figured out the issue....was just a simple matter of selecting the correct audio device. Been up and running....made a QSO with Costa Rica
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Using WSJT-X

Figured out the issue....was just a simple matter of selecting the correct audio device. Been up and running....made a QSO with Costa Rica
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using WSJT-X

Let me know when you want to get Hawaii.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Just curious what power most of you run WSJT jt65?  I have stuck with 20w unless I really have a quiet band where I use 30w with alc just flickering...

Prosise
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just curious what power most of you run WSJT jt65?  I have stuck with 20w unless I really have a quiet band where I use 30w with alc just flickering...

Prosise
View Quote

I ran 10w last night but will start dialing that back closer to 5w.
My home QTH is on the side of a gently sloping hill with what I assume are metallic deposits in the soil....have always had relatively good propagation for a poor antenna design.

I don't envision going over 15w unless I absolutely need to in order to hit the other side of the planet. I had no trouble working a 7000 mile qso last night on 10w.....signal report was a -11, so I had power to spare.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Prosise
View Quote

Whatever it takes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top