Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2016 11:22:23 PM EDT
I'm in need of an HF antenna, strongly want it to do 160m. This is a fairly affordable antenna and short enough to fit on my corner lot.

Any experience?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
there are better brands

the G5RV is not really designed for 160, but you can modify it so, the entire antenna is a T shaped radiator

the slightly different zs6bkw is a better design.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one with an external antenna tuner. As said, 160 will be a stretch. I find best result on 40 and 20 meters, thats where I spend most of my time.

If I were you and really wanted to be on 160, I would get an antenna or build one specifically for the band.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one.   I would not recommend if you will leave it permanently mounted.  Mine broke at the PC board and I rebuilt it using a kit from DX Engineering.

So, if I would do it again I would buy the DX Engineering's kit, the wire and build it myself.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I was told to get one of the Buckmaster OCFD's but I don't think the 8 bander that has 160 resonance will fit, even though I have a corner lot with tall trees in the back. This antenna would work on my rural property, I just need something smaller here that doesn't stick out much. The village has a height restriction of 30' so a tower to support a 160m directional won't be feasible, and the jack wagon that runs the permitting board lives kitty corner to me... I wondered why the village was on me like stink on shit for vehicle plates being days expired until I found out who he was.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use one with an external antenna tuner. As said, 160 will be a stretch. I find best result on 40 and 20 meters, thats where I spend most of my time.

If I were you and really wanted to be on 160, I would get an antenna or build one specifically for the band.
View Quote

I do want to be on 160, it seems like all the cool kids hang out there.... Weekends seem to be 20/40 jammed up with contests, 80 with antenna talk, and 160 they talk about short barrels and 6.5 Grendel. I can listen fairly well on 160 with my KX3 and packtenna but I have never made a contact.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one I bought many years ago.   The wire & cable are decent quality, the center insulator may not be the most solid after a few years in the weather, probably OK for a couple years max.    The G5RV probably isn't the best you can do with the space you have though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have one I bought many years ago.   The wire & cable are decent quality, the center insulator may not be the most solid after a few years in the weather, probably OK for a couple years max.    The G5RV probably isn't the best you can do with the space you have though.
View Quote

Can you make a recommendation?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a RadioWavz G5RV 102" that I have used for years and love it. It has held up in some pretty bad Hurricanes and still works great. I run it a 40 feet inverted and have very good reports with it. I bought it at AES right down the street form my and will get another if this one goes down.
Jim
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#10]
160 and the other low bands are really vertical or inverted-L antenna bands (assuming you want something beyond NVIS).  A low horizontal or shallow sloper antenna (below about 3/8 wavelength high) shoots mostly straight up.  And the lower it is, the less efficient

If you can get 2 points of suspension 45ft, or even 30ft high, and can lay down 10 or 15 radials, you'll have a much better signal, S-Units worth, out past a few hundred miles.  I use a 45ft x 45ft, base matching, and 14 radials.  It models out to around 0 dBi, and works well on the air consistent with the modeled gain number.  This is only a dB or 2 off from a full sized vertical but is obviously much smaller.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
there are better brands

the G5RV is not really designed for 160, but you can modify it so, the entire antenna is a T shaped radiator

the slightly different zs6bkw is a better design.

View Quote

Having used both I agree with the part in bold. never had a store bought one though, always home built so can't comment on that part
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
160 and the other low bands are really vertical or inverted-L antenna bands (assuming you want something beyond NVIS).  A low horizontal or shallow sloper antenna (below about 3/8 wavelength high) shoots mostly straight up.  And the lower it is, the less efficient

If you can get 2 points of suspension 45ft, or even 30ft high, and can lay down 10 or 15 radials, you'll have a much better signal, S-Units worth, out past a few hundred miles.  I use a 45ft x 45ft, base matching, and 14 radials.  It models out to around 0 dBi, and works well on the air consistent with the modeled gain number.  This is only a dB or 2 off from a full sized vertical but is obviously much smaller.
View Quote

Height really isn't an issue (big trees I could hang from in the back yard pin the property line) but the radials are a problem because I can even keep my lawn guy from hitting the septic inspection pipe.  My rural property will be another matter though, no space constraints and a hilltop location. I may be securing a 60foot tower soon, don't think I can set it up at home with the 30 foot limit here in the village. Is PRB-1 any help here?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can you make a recommendation?
View Quote

The original 102' G5RV is really just a 20M antenna that happens to work on most other bands with a tuner.   In my experience it only worked well on 20M and 80M.   It would tune on the other bands (really tough on 60M), just didn't work very well (though in my case it was at much less than optimum height and layout).    And if you want to run 160M your G5RV has to be fed as just an inverted L (more properly a flat top), against a ground (i.e. radials).   And that's fine as far as it goes, but you gotta have those radials, but a vertically polarized antenna is about the only thing most average Joes can fit on their real estate that will work worth a darn on 160 (disclaimer I'm not a hard core 160 guy but physics are what they are).   The vertical, in the form of an inverted L or just a straight up vertical, is pretty much the go-to for working DX on a budget on any band.   There are probably a hundred different multi-band verticals on the market, most of which would probably need to be finagled with a loading coil or some such to work 160, but to work 160 you'll need some kind of vertical.   Unless you have about 270' of horizontal space for a dipole, which you can put at least 120' in the air.

But back to the dipole style antenna, if you would be happy with less DX and more local especially on 40M and 80M you can go with just a plain old non resonant doublet fed with ladderline right to the shack and in my opinion that would have a bit more balanced performance across all bands than a G5RV - but to work 160 you would still need to feed it at the bottom as a flat top, again with those pesky radials.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Height really isn't an issue (big trees I could hang from in the back yard pin the property line) but the radials are a problem because I can even keep my lawn guy from hitting the septic inspection pipe.  ..
View Quote

Ya - I use lawn staples and the Darwin method of natural selection    I just replaced / repaired 6 or 7 on my Inv-L's that got whacked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys have an opinion on hexbeams? They seem like a potential way around my problem...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top