Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/4/2016 11:54:33 AM EDT
I proposed this idea on Indiana Gun Owners forum several years ago.  A backpack trip to the Charles Deam Wilderness Area in Hoosier National Forest.  Hike in and camp at the campsite about .25 miles from the Hickory Ridge Fire Tower.  Take our QRP radios and operate from the tower.  Several had wanted to do it but we never agreed on a date.

I know BigDaddy0004 and I both have KX2 or KX3 radios.  Maybe some others are close enough that they would like to come along. It is a wilderness area so no motors or wheeled cart or vehicles.  Camping is primitive and we need to carry in all our supplies and water.  I have a powerfilm solar panel and see in another thread that BD is getting one too.

Anyone interested?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hoosier/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=41554&actid=34
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If you wanted to camp in a regular campground with facilities there are several National Forest campgrounds close.  We could still go to the fire tower to day hike and operate.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still interested in this, KM.  Count me "IN".  
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm still interested in this, KM.  Count me "IN".  
View Quote
Let's see if anyone else replies.  Then we need to pick a weekend and do it. Maybe early August?  Drive there Friday.  Play Radio on Saturday then go home Sunday afternoon.

We better not invite Piccolo.  We may be mistaken for terrorists.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That location would put it within a 3.5 hour drive for most areas of Indiana, much of Illinois and Kentucky.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch. 10(ish) hours from me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone up for the first weekend of August for this?  I would drive down on Friday Aug. 5 then return home on Sunday.  About the only 2 weekends I could do it are the first or second weekend of August.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be all over this if it was local to me just to learn a bit more and help out. If nothing else I could hold down the camp fire and cook (if it was a bit cooler that is).

Good luck guys! Lots of pics stories required.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone up for the first weekend of August for this?  I would drive down on Friday Aug. 5 then return home on Sunday.  About the only 2 weekends I could do it are the first or second weekend of August.
View Quote

Tentatively, that would work well for me, km.  I'll pencil that Friday off on the work schedule, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
This sounds like a great time and a learning opportunity for an HF noob like myself.
I also happen to live an hour away from Deam and have camped near where you plan to set up.
I'll have to double check my work schedule, but I may be free that weekend.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I would be in, but that's the weekend of CWTX
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I would be in, but that's the weekend of CWTX
View Quote
For me it would have to be that weekend or the next one.  Only 2 I have open till October.  Since BD was penciling that one in for the time off I don't want to change unless he does. I can do either one.

August 27 is busy for me.  I need to go break my own Ohio QSO pary Fulton County QRP record.  Shouldn't be hard to do .  I'll be taking a better antenna and will use the 56 ft tower. (aka silo) this time.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]
That next weekend, the 12th-14th, is the final weekend before our son heads off to college.  Lots of last minute packing and running around for us.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That next weekend, the 12th-14th, is the final weekend before our son heads off to college.  Lots of last minute packing and running around for us.
View Quote
Let's leave it the first weekend and see who is in.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I dug out my 6 year old REI Half Dome 2 HC tent yesterday evening and pitched it in the backyard.   Yeah, I think this will a great time!  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I dug out my 6 year old REI Half Dome 2 HC tent yesterday evening and pitched it in the backyard.   Yeah, I think this will a great time!  

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/20160706_055519_zpsnj0ubyxi.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Looks good,  Will be fun even if no one else joins us.  Better yet if we can get some more arfhams there.

We need to take a picture with us in front of the lookout tower for  a qsl card.

(this is a bump to see if anyone else is interested.)

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
You can drive to the fire tower so don't let the "hike in to the campsite" discourage anyone.  I just moved to Indiana last year and the Deam wilderness area is beautiful.  I might drive down from Indy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You can drive to the fire tower so don't let the "hike in to the campsite" discourage anyone.  I just moved to Indiana last year and the Deam wilderness area is beautiful.  I might drive down from Indy.
View Quote
There is parking at the tower, I think the hike to the campsite  is about a quarter mile. If I can do it with a bad hip anyone can.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
What antenna(s) are you going to use with your KX2/3, KM?

Here's one option I'll try... Endfedz Trail Friendly in an inverted V supported in the middle by a free standing 18' crappie pole.  The orange end supports are a couple of those fiberglass driveway markers.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget the NAQP CW contest is the 7th! If you strung your antennas from the tower you'd have a solid setup for the QRP category.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What antenna(s) are you going to use with your KX2/3, KM?

Here's one option I'll try... Endfedz Trail Friendly in an inverted V supported in the middle by a free standing 18' crappie pole.  The orange end supports are a couple of those fiberglass driveway markers.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/Screenshot_2016-07-07-20-21-54_zpsvldzmbm3.jpg
View Quote
I expect to take the KX2 and  58 ft end fed.  IF we set up at the tower we can tie the antennas to it.  When I was at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore my pack with the radio, antenna, extra battery, mic, key 20 ft crappie pole, food and water for the day  was only 11 lbs  KX2 is half the weight and size of the KX3 so will take that. may take the samsung tablet with kx3 companion to run some psk32.

KX2 with the MFJ1889T antenna and counterpoise.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I see that weekend is the lighthouse on the air weekend.  Maybe we can work some lighthouses.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Bumping this for anyone else who may be interested.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#23]
km,  is that a bnc to twisted pair balun on the elecraft antenna jack? If so may I have some more antenna details?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

km,  is that a bnc to twisted pair balun on the elecraft antenna jack? If so may I have some more antenna details?
View Quote
Just the BNC to push pin connector.  Have had good results with them.  Use different length wires and counterpoise.  Usually 53 or 58 ft antenna and 13 ft counterpoise.  

This site has a lot of information on random wire antenna lengths.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/randomwireantennalengths.html

Sometimes I also use a 9:1 unun.

I was using a 20 ft shakespeare crappie pole to hold the antenna.  Made 58 contacts that day in just over an hour.

See my offer in the Pay it forward thread.  still have one pair of them unclaimed.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/634647_Pay_it_forward_HAM_RADIO.html&page=14

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just the BNC to push pin connector.  Have had good results with them.  Use different length wires and counterpoise.  Usually 53 or 58 ft antenna and 13 ft counterpoise.  

I was using a 20 ft shakespeare crappie pole to hold the antenna.  Made 58 contacts that day in just over an hour.

See my offer in the Pay it forward thread.  still have one pair of them unclaimed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. Are the baluns the same as cctv video baluns? If so I have a handful left over from a recent project.

I also have a few of the bnc to binding post adapters you show in the pay it forward thread. I have a few small dipoles made with those. I hadn't thought of a long wire setup. I also have a homebrew 9:1 for portable use too.

Sorry to have hijacked a perfectly good camping thread, if I were a few hours closer I'd join you guys.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Worked on my digital setup for the campout in 19 days.  One of the challenges is seeing the display on the laptop in bright sunlight!  
Antenna is an EndFedz Trail Friendly in an inverted L on a 6m (19.7') tall crappie pole.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Camper bitten by venomous snake in Brown County State Park  

[snake bite joke] ...the Dr. said "You're going to die" [/snake bite joke]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Camper bitten by venomous snake in Brown County State Park  

[snake bite joke] ...the Dr. said "You're going to die" [/snake bite joke]
Saw that from the DNR on facebook.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#29]
My kx2 got a workout on phone this weekend.  Picked up 7 new park to park NPOTA contacts. Since there have been so many  QSOs from TR04 not many are looking for that one so I hunted down rare parks for park to park.  About 6 hours of operating used enough of the internal battery that I was limited to 5 watt transmit. Rain was moving in so I packed it up.

Played with both the CATV connectors and the 9:1 unun.  58 ft wire with 13 ft counterpoise tunes much better with the unun.  Still need a lot more testing to decide which radiates better.

53 ft tuned better without the unun than 59 ft did.

I intend to use my homemade paper logbook for logging on the trip.  I'mm a weight weenie and not going to take the tablet.

I make these little logbooks with waterproof paper so the weather doesn't destroy them.  Makes it more expensive but worth it for this kind of operating.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#30]
BigDaddy, how are you liking the QRP ranger so far?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BigDaddy, how are you liking the QRP ranger so far?
View Quote

So far, it's just what I was looking for:  LiFePO4 battery (Bill Harrison told me mine is one of the first batch of 125WH upgraded from the previous 100WH battery), charge controller, & solar charge controller all in one package.  I used it to power the KX3 today for a little while, but not long enough to give it a real workout, yet.  The 30w PowerFilm foldable solar panel should be delivered tomorrow.  I'm eager to see how that will keep the battery charged in the QRP Ranger.  Work this weekend cut into radio play time.  I'll post more as I get some more time using it.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I intend to use my homemade paper logbook for logging on the trip.  I'mm a weight weenie and not going to take the tablet.
I make these little logbooks with waterproof paper so the weather doesn't destroy them.  Makes it more expensive but worth it for this kind of operating.
View Quote

Would you care to share the file for that paper log?  That idea suits me.  As much as I prefer computer logging, I hate trying to use a tablet or phone while making QSOs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Would you care to share the file for that paper log?  That idea suits me.  As much as I prefer computer logging, I hate trying to use a tablet or phone while making QSOs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my creation.  Another Elecraft product.  KX1 mini log.  I printed the pdf on waterproof paper then cut them out as you see them in my picture.  They are 4 pages to a sheet of paper so 3 sheets made me a 12 page log.  Enough for 120 contacts.

I cut the tab on the right side off and left more paper on the left so I could staple them into a book.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool!  Thanks for the education, km.

for anyone else looking for this log.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#35]
When I get home I put them in my N3FJP log so I can upload to LOTW.  I have found that a small paper log is better for me than a tablet or phone.  Less weight than taking the tablet and the small size makes a phone too slow for  me.  I use the more expensive waterproof paper since I have found that I had too many sheets get damp and not hold together well for backpacking and bike.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a similar  Amateur Radio Water Proof Log Book ARLB5 from Amazon.    $8.50  + $2 shipping

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
...Camping is primitive and we need to carry in all our supplies and water.  I have a powerfilm solar panel and see in another thread that BD is getting one too.
View Quote

km, couple of questions running thru my mind...

• How much water are you thinking?  I have a CamelBak Talon backpack with a 3L bladder that I'm going to use for this trip.  Is that enough?  It'd be easy to have extra in the truck in a cooler.

• Freeze-dried food or "sammiches" in the truck in a cooler?

• What are the CCW laws in the area?

BTW, my 30W PowerFilm solar panel came in yesterday.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

• How much water are you thinking?  I have a CamelBak Talon backpack with a 3L bladder that I'm going to use for this trip.  Is that enough?  It'd be easy to have extra in the truck in a cooler.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...Camping is primitive and we need to carry in all our supplies and water.  I have a powerfilm solar panel and see in another thread that BD is getting one too.

Parking is at the tower.  Hike to where we can camp is maybe 1/2 mile.  Campfires may be banned so we may need stoves for anything hot.  I have those.  Extra water in the truck isn't a bad idea if it is hot.  I have water purification equipment and chemicals but they shouldn't be needed.  Would probably be easier to go back for more water.

I don't think CCW would be a problem but no target shooting is allowed.  During open seasons hunting is allowed there.

I will have enough battery with the 2 for the KX2 to run 10+ hours. Don't think I will need more than that.  I'll let you do the high draw modes.

If I really want to take it I have a 20 w powerfilm panel and controller to charge batteries,

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Been doing a lot of NPOTA so I'm learning what the kx2 can do.  Was out on the North Country Scenic Trail Saturday and Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Food isn't going to be much of an issue for a couple of days for me, km.  I may bring some freeze dried stuff, and I have a couple small alcohol stoves, too.
I'm planning on playing on the Arfcom digital call frequencies with Olivia 16/500 and also using WSJT-X for JT65/JT9 on 20 and 40m.
Where where were you on the North Country Scenic Trail?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Food isn't going to be much of an issue for a couple of days for me, km.  I may bring some freeze dried stuff, and I have a couple small alcohol stoves, too.

I'm planning on playing on the Arfcom digital call frequencies with Olivia 16/500 and also using WSJT-X for JT65/JT9 on 20 and 40m.

Where where you on the North Country Scenic Trail?

View Quote
Along the Maumee River east of Defiance Ohio. Hiked  about 15 miles.  Operated  in Independence  Dame States Park. About a mile fromantic the location  is used on June 4.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Bigdaddy, where did you get the Powerfilm?

This place was the cheapest I've found, but they have some complaints against them for non-delivery:

http://www.flexsolarcells.com/index_files/Foldable_Series/pages/PowerFilm-Solar-Foldable-Solar-Panel-Module-F16-1800-Black.php

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This place was the cheapest I've found, but they have some complaints against them for non-delivery:

http://www.flexsolarcells.com/index_files/Foldable_Series/pages/PowerFilm-Solar-Foldable-Solar-Panel-Module-F16-1800-Black.php

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't buy it from them.  That's the place I bought mine from.  PayPal transaction went thru immediately.  They took over two weeks to get my "IN STOCK" order from Texas to Indianapolis. They are very unresponsive to emails.  When they finally did respond, I was told my shipment was shipped inadvertently to BANGKOK (!)  I can't make this up.

Amazon had the same panel with an additional adapter for $24 more and I could have had it in 2 days.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Some posts in the Facebook Amateur QRP radio group got me to do these tests.  Scale is tested and approved by the county Weights and Measurements department.  Tested to 1 oz accuracy Sept 2015. It gets retested once a year.

The battery in the radio is good for 5 to 8 hours of operation.  Now with the extra battery included.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#45]
km, I recommend one of these for connecting to the KX2's antenna BNC - it will save your radio from getting broken due to stress on the jack:

(1 foot long)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131261900935

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Who's idea was it to have an Indiana ham radio camping trip in August?  

A Heat Advisory continues until 8pm for all of central Indiana.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some posts in the Facebook Amateur QRP radio group got me to do these tests.  Scale is tested and approved by the county Weights and Measurements department.  Tested to 1 oz accuracy Sept 2015. It gets retested once a year.

The battery in the radio is good for 5 to 8 hours of operation.  Now with the extra battery included.
View Quote

I'm seriously impressed with your light weight setup, km!  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#48]
does that AC run off solar as well?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are compromises in it.  I have better antennas but I have been enjoying the challenge of seeing how good I can get a light weight rig to work.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#50]

So far this summer my luck has been that every time I went camping it was one of the hottest weekends we have had.  I don't plan to carry my winter sleeping bag.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top