Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2016 1:12:52 PM EDT
Cousin who was coming over is sick.  Daughter and her family overbooked today and bowed out.  Rather than waste the day watching tv I thought why not learn something.  

I have Never soldered a project before. I bought one of these Human Lights kits at Universal Radio.  These guys ETOW.org also had a booth at Hamvention in Dayton.

This is based on the Joule Thief. This lamp runs on "dead" batteries.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Not bad for your first time out.
Keep plugging away at it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A little rubbing alcohol, a brush and some Q tips will get that solder flux off there. Looks like a fun little project!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice first soldering project! A little 70% denatured alcohol from the pharmacy and an old toothbrush should clean that rosin right off!

Vectronics makes some receiver and transmitter kits in the $30 range that are ham radio oriented. One might be of interest to you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little rubbing alcohol, a brush and some Q tips will get that solder flux off there. Looks like a fun little project!
View Quote

Thanks I wanted to clean it up and wasn't sure how.

It was fun. It also helps provide SW radios for poor people in poor countries.

I found a 15 dollar 88-106 FM receiver kit that might be next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top