Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, so I never really "got" the KX3 (I don't disparage it for its high points, it does have quite a few redeeming qualities)  as I always thought that it looked a bit fragile and awkward to use and was a lot of coin for a QRP radio.  Basically, there were better options in the form factor and $ department.  Maybe not quite as high quality on the inside, but I think you see my point.  I also never actually put my hands on one so that probably clouds my judgement in some way.  I've also come around a bit on the KX3 and now kinda want one.

But now, I get the KX2 even less..again, some neat features, but with the price tag why not just get the KX3?  It's also not a kit, so... yeah. If it were say, $500 I'd have a different viewpoint.  

So... what am I missing?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, so I never really "got" the KX3 (I don't disparage it for its high points, it does have quite a few redeeming qualities)  as I always thought that it looked a bit fragile and awkward to use and was a lot of coin for a QRP radio.  Basically, there were better options in the form factor and $ department.  Maybe not quite as high quality on the inside, but I think you see my point.  I also never actually put my hands on one so that probably clouds my judgement in some way.  I've also come around a bit on the KX3 and now kinda want one.

But now, I get the KX2 even less..again, some neat features, but with the price tag why not just get the KX3?  It's also not a kit, so... yeah. If it were say, $500 I'd have a different viewpoint.  

So... what am I missing?
View Quote

I have hauled my KX3 around the world now and haven't treated it with the upmost respect. It has a few scratches dings but still looks great and performs like day one. The battery performance is great. I keep the AAs toped off and it is perfect to check the conditions of the band with just a wire tossed out the window. With a 3.5mm cable I have digital modes, with a USB OTG cable my phone can do RTTY, PSK, CW () and even analyze my antenna.

Yes it is pricey there is no argument on that, especially once you add on all the features. It however isn't a bad purchase at all. Honestly for the way I use my KX3 a KX2 would fit the bill but since I already have the KX3 I dont think I will be lining up for a KX2.

I am excited to see a company designing radios that get a reaction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So... what am I missing?
View Quote

Realistically its marketed not to QRP guys, but to mildly crazy QRP guys that climb mountains or do backpacking with radios. Size and weight are a major deal for multi-day trips or going up mountains. Personally I would never again want to haul one of my milpacks for a multi day soujourn; 15 ish lbs for a stripped down milpack and antenna vs 2.5 for a KX1 or 4ish lbs for FT817 with trimmings is a major weight savings when backpacking.

Owning a KX1, it is definitely much more fragile than an 817, and the build quality for a "field radio" is really poor IMO compared to even an 817 (both have to be packed in plastic bag since neither is splash proof). But I know that quality buttons, rotary encoders, waterproof audio connectors etc would cost even more. Personally, I really question their commitment to that absurdly fragile rotary encoder that is common to all 3 models, it sticks out like sore thumb and I have to go to great lengths to protect mine and I imagine it will be the first thing that breaks. At least with the KX3 you can handles to help protect it.

Feature set and price wise I think its a good balance vs the KX3, though realistically its still a 1k radio with the ATU, battery and mic.

KX2 negatives IMO.
1. No AM receive (this is nice for weather, music, and of course Jesus in the evening), seriously how hard can this be to implement in an SDR?
2. Battery life, 2.6Ah on 10W isn't going to last real long, but you can always use less power.
3. 10W max... 15 on the internal battery would be better
4. Detachable battery box anyone? Anyone?

Other than that, I don't really care that its missing 6/2m, or the other features of the KX3.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Edited: Initial tests of WSPR are successful with the KX2! One of the main reasons I sold my KX3 was excessive drift on long transmit cycles like those used by WSPR. The KX2 had 0-1hz/min of drift over 3 transmit cycles of 5w, 2w, and 1w, and no slanting waterfall traces as it cooled off. Now, the right sideplate of the KX2 gets pretty hot at 5 watts, and is decently warm at 1w and 2w, but it's not too bad. I'm glad it will run WSPR and JT65 in a pinch, although at low power and I would probably avoid back to back transmit cycles just to keep the heat down.

KX2 @ 5 watts and AlexLoop on 40m WSPR

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks SimpleScout. JT modes are some of my favorite. I'm glad it's stable. Are you using anything in between your computer and the KX2 like a SignaLink or do you have it plugged directly in?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have it plugged in directly with the audio cables from Elecraft. Very clean and simple setup. Like I mentioned, if you're going to to use JT65  and WSPR alot, keep the power down to 1 or 2 watts. There's just not enough heat sink in there to absorb it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have it plugged in directly with the audio cables from Elecraft. Very clean and simple setup. Like I mentioned, if you're going to to use JT65  and WSPR alot, keep the power down to 1 or 2 watts. There's just not enough heat sink in there to absorb it.
View Quote

Could it be coupled to an external heatsink?  I'll go back and look at the pics.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I suppose you could attach a heat sink to the right side panel? For shack use it would be alright, but it would kind of defeat the size and weight advantage if you use it portable.

ETA: The little side handles would probably help a fair amount. Might serve dual purpose - fall and heat protection.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
the peeps who made the KX3 Heatsink are making one for the KX2....think thats in show #2 from Dayton
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a video I made after an hour of non stop JT65 QSOs with the PAE heatsink.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a video I made after an hour of non stop JT65 QSOs with the PAE heatsink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pMxeBHH-g
View Quote

Excellent information.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
If anyone is wondering, I have my KX1 packaged in a Pelican 1060 case, and the KX2 is just a smidgeon too tall to fit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

KX2 negatives IMO.

1. No AM receive (this is nice for weather, music, and of course Jesus in the evening), seriously how hard can this be to implement in an SDR?

2. Battery life, 2.6Ah on 10W isn't going to last real long, but you can always use less power.

Other than that, I don't really care that its missing 6/2m, or the other features of the KX3.
View Quote
Just saw this on the Elecraft reflector:

The KX2 has general-coverage receive, including all popular AM SWL broadcast ranges. While it doesn't directly support AM demodulation, you can use USB or LSB to copy AM. This works really well. You can choose the sideband that has lower QRM, and widen the AF passband out as far as 4 kHz (equivalent to an 8-kHz AM filter). You can turn on the auto-notch to remove adjacent-channel carriers.

AM is also on the wish-list as a possible future [free] firmware upgrade.

Wayne, N6KR
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The KX2 has general-coverage receive, including all popular AM SWL broadcast ranges. While it doesn't directly support AM demodulation, you can use USB or LSB to copy AM. This works really well. You can choose the sideband that has lower QRM, and widen the AF passband out as far as 4 kHz (equivalent to an 8-kHz AM filter). You can turn on the auto-notch to remove adjacent-channel carriers.

Wayne, N6KR

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KX2 negatives IMO.

Wayne, N6KR

I was just going to mention using SSB works fine listening to AM. Just zero beat and enjoy.  Hopefully Elecraft's shipping is more on the 2 week side versus 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool. I thought that might be the case as I have used some milpcks to do that, but wasn't 100% if the kx2 would do it too.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top