Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 10:01:18 PM EDT
Just curious as to what others are using for portable QRP antennas.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Packtenna

But in the past I have used a number of home brew dipoles and end Feds. I used a MFJ 17' telescope whip with good results. I have used but never owned a buddy pole.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Buddipole & Buddistick.

Both with extra radiating elements and I have a cap hat for the vertical.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
LNR 10/20/40 Trail Friendly, and AlexLoop.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The truth is I've never operated portable, but I have a couple of home brew EARCHI antennas, just in case.

The products over at Sotabeams get pretty good reviews, and they carry some handy looking gadgets (wire winders, etc.).  Plus, they have a lightweight antenna wire for a very reasonable price.  I might have to give it a try, next time I start building portable antennas again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
DOnald Trump gave me a tractor trailer and an 87 foot tower to set up at my leisure.

I made DXCC in 2 hours on 5 watts.

Guerrilla Portable has taken on a whole new light.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^These.^^^  I also have the 100w version of the LNR 40/20 and another little mag loop, the WonderWand Tunable Compact Loop 40-10m that both work well with the KX3.

KX3/AndFLMsg/WonderWand Mag Loop indoors in the middle of a T-Storm.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 to the LNR Trail Friendly.
I've made a lot of contacts on them and they work very well set up as a simple sloper.

http://www.lnrprecision.com/endfedz/trail-friendly/
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a Packtenna User...and in a few more days, I'll be a Packtenna Mini User:

http://hamradio360.com/index.php/2016/04/26/ham-radio-packtenna-minis-are-in-stock-and-shipping/
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a LNR end fed. I set it up at home a few times. Works fairly well just tossed up in a tree as a sloper. I want to get a portable set up sometime in the near future. Just can't decide on what. The current solar cycle is not very QRP friendly, so I put it on the back burner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
LNR 10/20/40 Trail Friendly,  Chameleon Mag Loop, and Chameleon MPAS, with mil ext on the way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm a Packtenna User...and in a few more days, I'll be a Packtenna Mini User:

http://hamradio360.com/index.php/2016/04/26/ham-radio-packtenna-minis-are-in-stock-and-shipping/
View Quote

I've been thinking about making one like that.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a "Super Antenna" kit that has a lot of different mounting options, and a little tripod base. I haven't tried it yet. Waiting on a radio first.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Antenna-MP1DXTR80-SuperWhip-amateur/dp/B01BDPDKTI?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

I am also getting parts together to build an EARCHI antenna. I have everything here today except for binding posts (which I decided would be more versatile than wing nuts like the original).

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I formerly used an Alexloop-

Now I use an EARCHI end fed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

^^^These.^^^  I also have the 100w version of the LNR 40/20 and another little mag loop, the WonderWand Tunable Compact Loop 40-10m that both work well with the KX3.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/20160330_204927_zpssoz9hh5s.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/Screenshot_2016-03-30-20-53-08_zpswfievojp.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/20160330_204927_zpssoz9hh5s.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/Screenshot_2016-03-30-20-53-08_zpswfievojp.jpg

I like that setup.

How well does it work indoors?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I like that setup.

View Quote

Thanks, Mr_Harry.  My only experience so far has been on receiving digital signals from the Arfcom Digital Net in Olivia 16/500 and from W1AW CW practice transmissions.  Indoor reception of these signals was surprisingly good.  It was the first time I actually needed to use the attenuator on the KX3 because the signal from W1AW was so strong on 40m.
I know that my similar AlexLoop was not as good a performer on the TX side of things when compared to my LNR EndFedz wire antennas.  So, I'm expecting about the same from this mag loop as well.  My hope is that it'll do better on TX since I'm more involved with digital and CW now.  The setup pictured above is what I plan on using from the back yard for Field Day this year.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks, Mr_Harry.  My only experience so far has been on receiving digital signals from the Arfcom Digital Net in Olivia 16/500 and from W1AW CW practice transmissions.  Indoor reception of these signals was surprisingly good.  It was the first time I actually needed to use the attenuator on the KX3 because the signal from W1AW was so strong on 40m.
I know that my similar AlexLoop was not as good a performer on the TX side of things when compared to my LNR EndFedz wire antennas.  So, I'm expecting about the same from this mag loop as well.  My hope is that it'll do better on TX since I'm more involved with digital and CW now.  The setup pictured above is what I plan on using from the back yard for Field Day this year.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that setup.

Thank you

I'm looking for something small that I can use inside a hotel room

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
My Chameleon CH-F Loop receives very well.  Very surprised.  

Just received their MPAS antenna for testing, will give a go this week but from what I have seen on youtube it should be gtg.  Not a hotel room antenna though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top