[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What the Fuck is " anti-HF "  ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:....Even though I'm pretty anti-HF,...

I know, right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's what I was telling a buddy this morning. Look at the rig on the table. It looks like a mobile rig very much like the 857 but he made the point that just because they used a 23A power supply doesn't mean anything other than that's what they used in testing. We don't know shit about whether it's a 100W rig or a 10W rig. If you look at the documents, they used a Yaesu branded power supply and do they make a lower amperage power supply other than a 23A supply? He has a point.  

I'm thinking it's a replacement for the 857 as well.....but who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Going to the authoritative source: FCC
From the pictures I think ft-857 replacement more than ft-817.
Looking at the ID images the power portion shows 23 amps.  

HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver ID Label/Location Info ID_Drawing Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd.
Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd. HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver
See More Details For FCC ID: K6620651X50
Purchase on Amazon: HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver

Quoted:
Hopefully it'll be revealed what the Yaesu FT-891 is.

It was reported as a QRP radio but maybe is just a small full power radio.

http://www.gigaparts.com/Yaesu-FT-891-HF-6M-Transceiver.html

That's what I was telling a buddy this morning. Look at the rig on the table. It looks like a mobile rig very much like the 857 but he made the point that just because they used a 23A power supply doesn't mean anything other than that's what they used in testing. We don't know shit about whether it's a 100W rig or a 10W rig. If you look at the documents, they used a Yaesu branded power supply and do they make a lower amperage power supply other than a 23A supply? He has a point.  

If the photo is accurate, it has the 6 pin molex connector common to 100W HF radios. No reason to use that large, high amperage connector on a low power radio.

The calls for a 817 replacement have been getting pretty loud.

Well, the calls for an IC703 replacement have been going out for a few years now. Maybe the success of the KX3 might have opened some eyes who knows.

A mashup of the IC7300 and 703 with a little 7200 in there too could be pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Damnit I JUST finished up my 817 to where I have it just right.

Actually given that the solar cycle is heading into the bowl at this point I would be surprised to see a new QRP rig. But maaaybe they listened and it will be a 20W rig! But probably not.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

by... LNR LD-11

View Quote

THAT caught my eye several days ago while I was perusing their site for some other things, then I saw it is not yet available and I kinda got that little frown

BUT my prediction for the coming year (if not Dayton) is that a flock of little direct conversion SDR based rigs are going to be hitting the market, perhaps from each of the big three, more and better entries from China, and at least a couple kit or maker platforms.

These are going to be (or should be) very inexpensive and they will be a real challenge to today's most popular QRP radios.   Their RF packages will all be roughly equivalent and the winners will be the ones that bring innovative design in things like form factor and user interface.  And a pox on anyone brings forth a unit that gets its power through a stinking USB port.   They can and should have a USB port, but not for that.

So hold on to your hats, and prepare for what will likely be a great time to be a buyer
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If the photo is accurate, it has the 6 pin molex connector common to 100W HF radios. No reason to use that large, high amperage connector on a low power radio.

Well, the calls for an IC703 replacement have been going out for a few years now. Maybe the success of the KX3 might have opened some eyes who knows.

A mashup of the IC7300 and 703 with a little 7200 in there too could be pretty interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going to the authoritative source: FCC

From the pictures I think ft-857 replacement more than ft-817.

Looking at the ID images the power portion shows 23 amps.  

HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver ID Label/Location Info ID_Drawing Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd.

Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd. HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver

See More Details For FCC ID: K6620651X50

Purchase on Amazon: HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver

Quoted:

Hopefully it'll be revealed what the Yaesu FT-891 is.

It was reported as a QRP radio but maybe is just a small full power radio.

http://www.gigaparts.com/Yaesu-FT-891-HF-6M-Transceiver.html

Good point on the molex connector. Didn't even think of that.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

but he made the point that just because they used a 23A power supply doesn't mean anything other than that's what they used in testing.
View Quote

Someone didn't check the FCC docs did they?
The 23A comes from the power input label on the radio.  
Know any designed to be QRP radios that have their input power rated to draw 20+ amps during normal operation?
I'm not talking about 100W radios that can be dialed down to 5W.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Know any designed to be QRP radios that have their input power rated to draw 20+ amps during normal operation?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

but he made the point that just because they used a 23A power supply doesn't mean anything other than that's what they used in testing.

I was only partially interested in the conversation to be fair. After all, I'm not big on HF.

After looking at all the documents that are on the web and that label you mentioned, there isn't a chance in hell that radio is a QRP radio. Something to bring up the next time we talk. Might tell him to get his eyes checked
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
in case y'all missed it:

MTC has it listed this way

Yaesu FT-891 HF+6M 100W Transceiver RESERVE ONLY
View Quote

http://www.mtcradio.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-100w-transceiver-reserve-only/
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A guy can dream, right? I'm guessing my specific needs are more specific than I thought.

Thus my biggest gripe about the amateur market.

Having a cobbled-together, wire-and-cable-tentacled mess is not what I'm after, which is what you're stuck with if you want something between a traditional rig, and a QRP-specific setup. I'd like something for SOTA other than an 817. That's about the only viable option that costs less than an ATV.

I'd just like to see a TNC as standard-option in 2016. And LCD Screens vs. LCD alphanumerics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
A guy can dream, right? I'm guessing my specific needs are more specific than I thought.

Having a cobbled-together, wire-and-cable-tentacled mess is not what I'm after, which is what you're stuck with if you want something between a traditional rig, and a QRP-specific setup. I'd like something for SOTA other than an 817. That's about the only viable option that costs less than an ATV.

I'd just like to see a TNC as standard-option in 2016. And LCD Screens vs. LCD alphanumerics.

Quoted:
Quoted:
IC-7250: Updated version of the 7200 with a 25-watt mode and internal battery. Extra bonus points for IPX-rating and LCD Display.

FT-827: Updated version of the the 817, with integral LCD, TNC, and 25-watts output.

Call me when either of those happen.

People keep asking for 20~25 watt radios, but they are just not going to happen, at least from the big players.

In some countries there are license restrictions for 10 Watt radios, so those do exist in the global market. The traditional amateur QRP limit is 5 watts. There's just no real business rationale for a 25 Watt HF radio. Just get a 100W radio and turn the power down.

Although, there is something close that already exists, albeit somewhat expensive. Elecraft K2 without the 100W upgrade is a 15W max radio, with an option for an internal battery instead of the 100W PA module. Add in excellent RF performance, small size, light weight, and very low RX power consumption.

As for new radios the Yaesu FT-410 may be launched as a new entry level radio.

Codan Type 2110 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope that new Yaesu is an ft857 with fusion. That would keep me from having to install a second radio.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Where's the rascal scooter, the half gallon soda, and the YL festooned in cat gear?

The "Cat in the Hat" hat is a nice touch.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
IC-7250: Updated version of the 7200 with a 25-watt mode and internal battery. Extra bonus points for IPX-rating and LCD Display.

FT-827: Updated version of the the 817, with integral LCD, TNC, and 25-watts output.

People keep asking for 20~25 watt radios, but they are just not going to happen, at least from the big players.

In some countries there are license restrictions for 10 Watt radios, so those do exist in the global market. The traditional amateur QRP limit is 5 watts. There's just no real business rationale for a 25 Watt HF radio. Just get a 100W radio and turn the power down.

Although, there is something close that already exists, albeit somewhat expensive. Elecraft K2 without the 100W upgrade is a 15W max radio, with an option for an internal battery instead of the 100W PA module. Add in excellent RF performance, small size, light weight, and very low RX power consumption.

Was it you that got it for under $2k? I remember drooling at that thread...
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You, Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

If I wasn't full throttle on a repeater project, I'd buy that thing immediately.

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
FT 891 is Not a Portable!  

It's a 'step above' the FT450D

Richard spills the beans on Episode 52!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/amateurradio15/52.mp3
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Argh!  My podcast listenin' phone died last Sunday!  I won't have it back for another week either.  Anybody got the cliff notes?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
160-10+6 100w, a step above the 450D-Not a 'portable' rig
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
160-10+6 100w, a step above the 450D-Not a 'portable' rig
View Quote

Well shucks.  Thanks dude.  Guess I'll keep waiting for the next 857 or 706.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything is portable when you have a goat
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking like my shopping list may now start with a KX2 order.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone have a pic of the new Yaesu FT-891 to post yet?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#22]
New radio models always have issues that usually get corrected withing a year from the first production.  I'd stay away from the KX2 and Ft851 for a while. Let them work out the issues first unless you must have it to get the hamsexy chicks.

No go to Dayton for me this year.     Please take pictures of hamsexy chicks and keep yar scooters charged up and ready for a used lot rally.

Don't count on your cellphones to work at the hamfest.  I could not make calls and it took 20 minutes to send and receive a text message. There is phone coverage at the site but the circuits get overloaded.  It was like that 2 years ago.  Maybe they improved it since then.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
New radio models always have issues that usually get corrected withing a year from the first production.  I'd stay away from the KX2 and Ft851 for a while. Let them work out the issues first unless you must have it to get the hamsexy chicks.

No go to Dayton for me this year.     Please take pictures of hamsexy chicks and keep yar scooters charged up and ready for a used lot rally.

Don't count on your cellphones to work at the hamfest.  I could not make calls and it took 20 minutes to send and receive a text message. There is phone coverage at the site but the circuits get overloaded.  It was like that 2 years ago.  Maybe they improved it since then.
View Quote

I've been to larger events that have better coverage. I think it's intentionally jammed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:...
I've been to larger events that have better coverage. I think it's   intentionally jammed.
View Quote

LOL

no

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been to larger events that have better coverage. I think it's intentionally jammed.
View Quote

Large events generally make arrangements for temporary additional capacity via COWs or the like. I don't think they do that there.

I also wouldn't discount the amount of RF/intermod that might be present.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can picture a fat old dude with a devilish smile, wearing a size too small t-shirt with "NO CODE - NO TICKET" insignia, riding a tactical scooter, pulling a trailer full of batteries and cellphone jamming gear. LOL

BTW, I've been playing with my SDR receiver and stumbled on 5.085Mhz AM. It appears to be a ham radio related broadcast station. They are talking about antennas, radios and Dayton Hamvention. I never heard them before. WTWW Station, I think. I'm listening right now. They are having a serious discussion about choosing a restaurant in Dayton that serves good chikin. Check them out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can picture a fat old dude with a devilish smile, wearing a size too small t-shirt with "NO CODE - NO TICKET" insignia, riding a tactical scooter, pulling a trailer full of batteries and cellphone jamming gear. LOL

BTW, I've been playing with my SDR receiver and stumbled on 5.085Mhz AM. It appears to be a ham radio related broadcast station. They are talking about antennas, radios and Dayton Hamvention. I never heard them before. WTWW Station, I think. I'm listening right now. They are having a serious discussion about choosing a restaurant in Dayton that serves good chikin. Check them out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, never heard of WTWW before. WBCQ plays some ham and pirate related shows.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#31]
So, has our ARFCOM scouting party seen anything of the FT-891 yet? I'm curious about that one.

Thanks to Cale and others for the early info on the KX2. Neat little radio!

You guys have fun out there! Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So, has our ARFCOM scouting party seen anything of the FT-891 yet? I'm curious about that one.

Thanks to Cale and others for the early info on the KX2. Neat little radio!

You guys have fun out there! Cheers...   Jim
View Quote
Been looking for leaks since there is a vendor show the day before that many guys get to attend.

Nothing from Yaesu or Kenwood so far. Just Elecraft stuff plus some scuttlebutt about the DV4Home gear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Interesting, never heard of WTWW before. WBCQ plays some ham and pirate related shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks to be shortwave out of Lebanon, TN.
http://wtww.us/
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kQVxJByWU

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kQVxJByWU

I don't think it was under 2k, but yeah he has one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What countries have a 10W limit? I'm honestly curious, and if it is the case what is the market size there?

Aight, I'm gonna get a bit emotional and climb on my soapbox here so readers beware.

The traditional 5W QRP limit is largely geared toward CW and data, NOT SSB. EVERY real world (mil/civ etc) man-portable radio produced in the last 80 years that was designed with voice ops in mind ran from a minimum 15W-50W and that was mainly due battery technology concerns. For EVERY example you give me of a military manpack portable radio that runs less than 15W I will give you 5 that run 15-50.

The business rationale is that 20-25W is actually usable on SSB and a huge part of the ham market at this point don't know CW, and data = more gear and expertise, everyone can talk, this is why SSB is the most popular mode. The 20-25W rationale is that its objectively been shown over the last 80 years to be the best balance between power consumption and reliable SSB voice comms. You have to goto the 50's and 60's to find 5W military rigs, and even then they were CW only.

The SGC2020 or VX1210 are very good examples of good Hammy field radios designed for SSB use, all of the various codan/barret/etc commercial manpack rigs run at least 20W. Hell I would kill for an up-to-date VX1210 at sub 1k price point. And the new KX2, add 1lb of weight give me 20W and a detachable battery box, and for gods sake waterproof the damn thing and use real knobs, who in their right mind sells a "mountain" radio without waterproofing and rotary encoders that feel like they will break at the slightest pressure it isn't rocket science!

This concludes my rant.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Technician

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:....Even though I'm pretty anti-HF,...

Technician

I know a 20 year tech that has NEVER used anything but FM gear.

I do not get it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
So, anybody get some sweet loot?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, has our ARFCOM scouting party seen anything of the FT-891 yet? ...
View Quote

This would look nice in my mobile....

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#39]

So they updated to look of the 857 and gave it an FTM-100 display.  Unless they add memory banks with the ability to name the banks, I am thoroughly disappointed in Yaesu.

I REALLY want to like the KX2. It has many of the things I want in a perfect size but the lack of AA battery option bothers me for some reason.  I don't care so much about the lack of VHF/UHF bands. The ATU and DSP is nice but I still haven't found a "throw in the pack and camp" radio that beats the 817.

Its a shame as the 817 could be so much more in the same size chassis.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:....
So they updated to look of the 857 and gave it an FTM-100 display.  Unless they add memory banks with the ability to name the banks, I am thoroughly disappointed in Yaesu......
View Quote

You forgot 32 bit IF DSP

huge difference between IF DSP and AF DSP

also,....who needs memory banks on HF

I like it,  it's a nice looking mobile

. .  . . . I'd like it better if it had VHF/UHF

That will be the 2017 FT-891mkii    LOLOL
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So they updated to look of the 857 and gave it an FTM-100 display.  Unless they add memory banks with the ability to name the banks, I am thoroughly disappointed in Yaesu.

I REALLY want to like the KX2. It has many of the things I want in a perfect size but the lack of AA battery option bothers me for some reason.  I don't care so much about the lack of VHF/UHF bands. The ATU and DSP is nice but I still haven't found a "throw in the pack and camp" radio that beats the 817.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As far as the 891 it doesn't seem to solve any of my many complaints with the 857 that led me to sell it within a month of ownership.

As far as the KX2... the things people seem to not like about it are what I wanted in it.  I have no interest in having V/U in my HF rig, have literally never made a 160 contact nor will I ever QRP or /P, and don't mind the omission of 6m either, and prefer lithium batteries to AA.  I actually plan on powering mine with an external battery pack anyway and keeping the internal as a backup only which could be done with AA though I will likely test 3 and 4 cell arrays of 18650s with it.  If there is anything I would like to see in it, it would be AM, which may be added with a firmware update anyway.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks Derek!

Interesting. I wish they could have jazzed it up a bit, perhaps a 200 watt option like the TS-480 HX. For a mobile rig in a noisy environment like my Jeep, I'm not sure I see the merit of the enhanced DSP.

On the other hand, losing the 2 meter / 440 bands is a real LOSS of capability compared to the venerable FT-857. I wouldn't mind that terribly, as I would like to install a tri-band rig and add 220 to my mobile unit.

I need to read the specs in detail. Perhaps there's something there I'm not seeing, but I begin to wonder. Of course this is a moot point if the FT-857 goes away (as it is likely to) and you're newly in the market for mobile HF.

Again, thanks for the "sneak peek!" Jim...
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks Derek!

Interesting. I wish they could have jazzed it up a bit, perhaps a 200 watt option like the TS-480 HX...
View Quote

Maybe Kenwood will update the 480HX with IF DSP, and 2m/440 . . . 200 watts is nice to have on board

until then,  . . . I'll probably keep running what I've got.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Maybe Kenwood will update the 480HX with IF DSP, and 2m/440 . . . 200 watts is nice to have on board

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/RADIO/IMG_8673_zpso6qbxwmu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/RADIO/IMG_8673_zpso6qbxwmu.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Derek!

Interesting. I wish they could have jazzed it up a bit, perhaps a 200 watt option like the TS-480 HX...

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/RADIO/IMG_8673_zpso6qbxwmu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/RADIO/IMG_8673_zpso6qbxwmu.jpg</a>

I'm in a predicament currently... I've liked my 480 a lot the last few years after trading the 857 for it, but am a bit torn right now whether to sell the 480 and get an amp for the KX2 as my mobile rig.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I REALLY want to like the KX2. It has many of the things I want in a perfect size but the lack of AA battery option bothers me for some reason.
View Quote

I don't think you can get enough amperage out of AA batteries to run a 10 watt transceiver.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm in a predicament currently... I've liked my 480 a lot the last few years after trading the 857 for it, but am a bit torn right now whether to sell the 480 and get an amp for the KX2 as my mobile rig.
View Quote

I think for a mobile,  you're better off with a TS-480

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Saw this on another forum:

Forthcoming Kenwood HT 2m/220/440 with GPS/APRS and D-Star.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

I walked by it today and can say I think it looks every bit as good in person as it does in that pic, under the big lights in dayton's arena the screen was easily readable in color.  I was wearing my D72 today and asked if the new one was the replacement for it but the guy from Kenwood I talked to it wasn't sure.  I also asked if it has full duplex for satellites and he wasn't sure about that either.  After getting the KX2 today, and a few of the other things I was looking for, exploring this Kenwood will be one of my top priorities tomorrow.  I love my D72 and if it can provide everything it has and more I might get it real soon, especially if paired with the D72 that this one can control my 480 and 590 with sky command.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Has Kenwood come out with anything else new ?

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Has Kenwood come out with anything else new ?

View Quote

I was drawn to the HT and free Kenwood pin and sticker today, so I paid most attention to that, but in looking around briefly everything seemed to be the normal current lineup aside from the HT, and I didn't notice anything new but it is possible I missed something.  I plan on spending a bit more time at the Kenwood area tomorrow though, and will update on the HT specs, and any other new offerings after.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top