Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2016 2:32:59 PM EDT
With the upcoming Dayton Hamvention this week, what things are you hoping for?  What have you heard might be released?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to see a replacement for the Yaesu 817/857/897, but I'm not holding my breath

edit: same thing from Icom - something like the 706 series.  I'm thinking a 7300 with VHF/UHF in a nice, compact package.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]

20W 80-10m CW/SSB/Digi rig for under $300

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I want a 817 in the 20-25 watt range.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

In an SDR format that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am hoping to buy a new dual band mobile rig.  Been running a pair of Motorola Maxtrac's for the last 15 years or so.  I decided that it is time to upgrade if something catches my eye.  If nothing new then my intent is to buy the FTM-100d, and a nice antenna and mount.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It isn't this week but I will be looking at dual band 144/440 radios and antennas. After the truck fire I need a new one.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

Yes please!  That's the reason I'm still not on HF, I'm broke!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Triband (144/220/440) Kenwood D-Star HT that has:

Kenwood receiver quality which means full dual receive capable of satellite work especially now that there is a D-Star Amsat. ICOM ID51 is a piece of shit when it comes to dual receive.

Full TNC for APRS or Packet like the D72.

I want to believe.......

Rumors have been rampant about something from Kenwood D-Star related showing up at Dayton.

My ICOM will be up for sale the minute it gets announced.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I want a 817 in the 20-25 watt range.
View Quote
Even though I'm pretty anti-HF, a new rig similar to the SGC-2020 would be high on my list of future acquisitions.

Ruggedized, 25 Watts, internal tuner, SDR, and under $1000=Instant winner.

Would be the perfect emergency rig in my case.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It isn't this week but I will be looking at dual band 144/440 radios and antennas. After the truck fire I need a new one.  
View Quote

I've been cautiously contemplating the IC2730.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With the upcoming Dayton Hamvention this week, what things are you hoping for?  What have you heard might be released?
View Quote

I'm hoping to get some hands on time with:
Elad FDM-duo (reviewed in QST)
Apache Labs Anan 10E
Ten Tec ? (see below)

I'm going to be looking for:
Updates to the Ten Tec story.  
Yaesu replacement for ft-8800.
Anybody with dual-band that can be used with an external TNC for packet other than APRS/DStar.  
EMCOMM in Virginia includes using winlink on VHF/UHF for email messaging.  In my county we are using a mixture of V71 & old GE radios connected to KPC 3+.
I want to see what we should be thinking about and if we should be planning to migrate to radios designed and built in this century next year.

I'm hoping to come home with a tilt base and poles for the 30 ft vertical I want to build to support 2 VHF/UHF antennas.  
Also a 2nd X50 dual band antenna.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Apache Labs Anan 10E
Ten Tec ? (see below)

Anybody with dual-band that can be used with an external TNC for packet other than APRS/DStar.  
EMCOMM in Virginia includes using winlink on VHF/UHF for email messaging.  In my county we are using a mixture of V71 & old GE radios connected to KPC 3+.
I want to see what we should be thinking about and if we should be planning to migrate to radios designed and built in this century next year.

I'm hoping to come home with a tilt base and poles for the 30 ft vertical I want to build to support 2 VHF/UHF antennas.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apache Labs Anan 10E
Ten Tec ? (see below)

I'm really hoping that ELAD is there and has a discount on the fdm duo. In fact, I'm holding off purchasing one until after Dayton in hopes that they have them there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure you guys report what they reveal from the Elecraft table.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should come see for yourself!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to, but work has been keeping me too busy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:....Even though I'm pretty anti-HF,...
View Quote

What the Fuck is " anti-HF "  ?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Technician

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Technician

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technician

Ok, I just blew Crown & Coke projectile style out my nose.

Fuck you furball.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:...

edit: same thing from Icom - something like the 706 series. .....
View Quote

Hell,  just start making the IC-706mkiiG again.

it was a great radio

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck you furball.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technician

Fuck you furball.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Someone who doesn't enjoy that aspect of the hobby. (since you felt it was appropriate in your comment)

It isn't as if I have been simply happy to remain a Tech and stretch my jaw on the local repeater, I just find more of a challenge and enjoyment in the spectrum above 54 Mhz. To me setting up a MMDVM host is infinitely more challenging than hanging an antenna and playing on PSK31.

But, whatever. It's shit like this remark that keeps people out of the hobby, not in it. Amateur radio has a place for everyone including those Extra's who could two shits about HF. Get back to me during the worsening solar cycle when you start looking at digital modes like Fusion, DMR or D-Star to talk around the world.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been thru solar cycles

It's a hobby with broad and vast interests,....to each his own.
I get it.

...but you won't find me saying I'm "anti-VHF", " anti-FM" "anti D-star", "anti-gun", or whatever.

You sound like a gun hating Liberal with comments like that

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been thru solar cycles

It's a hobby with broad and vast interests,....to each his own.
I get it.

...but you won't find me saying I'm "anti-VHF", " anti-FM" "anti D-star", "anti-gun", or whatever.

View Quote

I'll be eligible to join the QCWA in 2 years and I was first licensed when I was 10. I've worked all HF bands, all VHF, and all UHF through 900. I've used every well-recognized mode - SSB, CW, AM, FM, P25, several digital voice modes, SSTV, satellites, most digital keyboard modes, DXing, contests, ragchews, been a long standing member of quite a few nets and the only thing I'm anti is internet modes because they add infrastructure to an otherwise infrastructure-free communications system. VOIP is not ham radio.

Chasing DX is pretty boring for me, I think SSTV is kinda lame. But if other people enjoy it I really don't care; it doesn't affect me at all.

I genuinely dislike working repeaters because of the people I commonly find using them. I listen far more than I talk and most of the people I hear reinforce that policy. But I'm not about to proclaim that I'm anti-2 meters.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I get where you're coming from but how many people do you know in ham radio that don't have very strong opinions on certain aspects of the hobby? Anti-HF is pretty tame compared to some of the shit I've heard other guys build a hilltop on and then die on.

I have strong likes and dislikes and there is no reason for me to pretend otherwise in order to get along. I've spent years unswayed....

Facebook, anything Apple, sausage patties instead of bacon, Taylor Swift being a country artist, etc....
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Even though I'm pretty anti-HF, a new rig similar to the SGC-2020 would be high on my list of future acquisitions.  

View Quote

Uh, wut?  Didn't you just go /AE?  

You know the green lines only get bigger in the HF bands, right?  

Or just trying to get in a 1x2?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Wishlist?  1/2 off sale on IC-7300.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:16:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was more about expanding my knowledge of the hobby and the challenge of the test more than the extra HF spectrum. Looking at some UK schools for my post-grad and having full CEPT privileges over there is another reason why I tested for Extra.

Had my call almost 20 years so I won't be changing that.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Triband (144/220/440) Kenwood D-Star HT that has:

Kenwood receiver quality which means full dual receive capable of satellite work especially now that there is a D-Star Amsat. ICOM ID51 is a piece of shit when it comes to dual receive.

Full TNC for APRS or Packet like the D72.

I want to believe.......
Rumors have been rampant about something from Kenwood D-Star related showing up at Dayton.

My ICOM will be up for sale the minute it gets announced.
View Quote

I'd be down with that, but I'm hoping for a good package price for a Decked out KX3, PX3, and 100w amp with tuner. I've been a really good boy and saving pennies lately and slugged it out for the best part of a summer taking classes and earning my General. I DESERVE this radio, Damnit!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#30]
phurba,
looks like we have something else to go looking for at Dayton:

160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17 and 15, 12, (11), 10, & 6 meter all mode operation
Modes: USB, LSB, CW, CW-R, DIGITAL DATA:CAT –USB jack : CW, PSK, RTTY, SSTV – 3.5mm jack
AM/FM as well.
PAN mode: Easy to Find quiet point +/- 24kHz from main frequency.
Power: 5W output in CW / SSB

by... LNR LD-11

Quoted:

I'm really hoping that ELAD is there and has a discount on the fdm duo. In fact, I'm holding off purchasing one until after Dayton in hopes that they have them there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apache Labs Anan 10E
Ten Tec ? (see below)

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Depending on how much I can save before dayton the wishlist in order is:

Dayton Beers
A few kits or cheap SDRs to keep me busy.
Kenwood TK-981 900mhz
Elecraft KX3
Elecraft KPA500 (probably not though)
trailer mounted tilt and crank tower (if i win the lottery in the next 2 weeks)
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I use Skype to talk around the world on frequencies above 54 Mhz.
BTW, HF works just fine even at the bottom of the sun cycle.

Quoted:
Someone who doesn't enjoy that aspect of the hobby. (since you felt it was appropriate in your comment)

It isn't as if I have been simply happy to remain a Tech and stretch my jaw on the local repeater, I just find more of a challenge and enjoyment in the spectrum above 54 Mhz. To me setting up a MMDVM host is infinitely more challenging than hanging an antenna and playing on PSK31.  

But, whatever. It's shit like this remark that keeps people out of the hobby, not in it. Amateur radio has a place for everyone including those Extra's who could two shits about HF. Get back to me during the worsening solar cycle when you start looking at digital modes like Fusion, DMR or D-Star to talk around the world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Wish list? Honestly I don't know as I'm pretty happy with what I got now. I need to install my HF antenna on my new vehicle.

I won't make it to Dayton this year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Dinner with Friends!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
IC-7250: Updated version of the 7200 with a 25-watt mode and internal battery. Extra bonus points for IPX-rating and LCD Display.

FT-827: Updated version of the the 817, with integral LCD, TNC, and 25-watts output.

Call me when either of those happen.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IC-7250: Updated version of the 7200 with a 25-watt mode and internal battery. Extra bonus points for IPX-rating and LCD Display.

FT-827: Updated version of the the 817, with integral LCD, TNC, and 25-watts output.

View Quote

People keep asking for 20~25 watt radios, but they are just not going to happen, at least from the big players.

In some countries there are license restrictions for 10 Watt radios, so those do exist in the global market. The traditional amateur QRP limit is 5 watts. There's just no real business rationale for a 25 Watt HF radio. Just get a 100W radio and turn the power down.

Although, there is something close that already exists, albeit somewhat expensive. Elecraft K2 without the 100W upgrade is a 15W max radio, with an option for an internal battery instead of the 100W PA module. Add in excellent RF performance, small size, light weight, and very low RX power consumption.

As for new radios the Yaesu FT-410 may be launched as a new entry level radio.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#37]
The ANAN-10E is 15-20 watts out according to their specs. And a fairly small package. You do need a laptop though.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#38]
A guy can dream, right? I'm guessing my specific needs are more specific than I thought.

Thus my biggest gripe about the amateur market.

Having a cobbled-together, wire-and-cable-tentacled mess is not what I'm after, which is what you're stuck with if you want something between a traditional rig, and a QRP-specific setup. I'd like something for SOTA other than an 817. That's about the only viable option that costs less than an ATV.

I'd just like to see a TNC as standard-option in 2016. And LCD Screens vs. LCD alphanumerics.

Quoted:

People keep asking for 20~25 watt radios, but they are just not going to happen, at least from the big players.

In some countries there are license restrictions for 10 Watt radios, so those do exist in the global market. The traditional amateur QRP limit is 5 watts. There's just no real business rationale for a 25 Watt HF radio. Just get a 100W radio and turn the power down.

Although, there is something close that already exists, albeit somewhat expensive. Elecraft K2 without the 100W upgrade is a 15W max radio, with an option for an internal battery instead of the 100W PA module. Add in excellent RF performance, small size, light weight, and very low RX power consumption.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd just like to see a TNC as standard-option in 2016. And LCD Screens vs. LCD alphanumerics.
View Quote

Actually, I'm still good with an external TNC.
Why?  Because an internal TNC may not have the flexibility I'd like.  
Example: FTM-400.  As best as I can tell, I can't use the internal TNC to run winlink to support RMS Express.

Forgot to list on my Dayton wishlist:
to come home with 1. a tnc-x,
2. a transportable antenna pole/tripod
and also
3. the poles & hardware to convert a BUD support pole to a 40-50' vertical for VHF/UHF & a weather station.
DXEngineering, are you listening?  It's a 3" pole.  OmniTilt only goes up to 2.5 inches.  Yes I have a plan, filed under redneck ham engineering.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The ANAN-10E is 15-20 watts out according to their specs. And a fairly small package. You do need a laptop though.

https://apache-labs.com/productImages/T500_1044_ANAN-10%202.jpg
View Quote

Nice, but $1k is too much for my intents for the 25W radio.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Understood.

And that's part of the challenge to the manufacturers.

We all have our own aspects of the hobby we enjoy, and there's no way to please everyone.

I like modularity, but a grab-n-go, one-stop shop would be nice.

Actually, I'm still good with an external TNC.
Why?  Because an internal TNC may not have the flexibility I'd like.  
Example: FTM-400.  As best as I can tell, I can't use the internal TNC to run winlink to support RMS Express.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'd like something for SOTA other than an 817. That's about the only viable option that costs less than an ATV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd like something for SOTA other than an 817. That's about the only viable option that costs less than an ATV.

And LCD Screens vs. LCD alphanumerics.

I really wish the K2 was about 1/3 the price. It would actually have a market at that price I think as it fits in this niche that people keep asking for, but that frankly it's just priced out of.

The mcHF kit project that another member here has completed looks very interesting. Again though, it's really designed around a nominal 10W power level it seems.

There are a couple of Russian/Eastern European radio projects that look interesting but that will probably never be viable. There is a kit SDR HF radio that I think can do up to 20 watts called the "Tulip" or "Tulipan". There are a lot of videos on youtube, which would be much more informative if you were fluent in Russian
Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKa3BVleHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7DrufbZks

There is another radio called the SW2013 with a more simple setup it seems.
This video has both the "Tulipan" and the "SW2013" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=572dOk8WMtc

There is ingenuity out there, just hard to get it to the mass market. And the people doing mass market amateur radio don't understand (at a minimum) a lot of the new market forces in amateur radio.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A guy can dream, right? I'm guessing my specific needs are more specific than I thought.

Thus my biggest gripe about the amateur market.

Having a cobbled-together, wire-and-cable-tentacled mess is not what I'm after, which is what you're stuck with if you want something between a traditional rig, and a QRP-specific setup. I'd like something for SOTA other than an 817. That's about the only viable option that costs less than an ATV.
View Quote

Yeah I totally agree on the first point, but either you have an all in one box and live with it, or you have a modular box and deal with the mess of cabling. I used to really hate the cabling, but as I've been running my 817 I'm appreciating the ala-carte nature more and more.

Have you looked at LNR precision, they have SOTA specific rigs for not unreasonable prices.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Something like the Russian kits linked would be absolutely awesome in a ruggedized housing.

Thanks for the links. I definitely need to dig into a home-brew solution.

Quoted:

There are a couple of Russian/Eastern European radio projects that look interesting but that will probably never be viable. There is a kit SDR HF radio that I think can do up to 20 watts called the "Tulip" or "Tulipan". There are a lot of videos on youtube, which would be much more informative if you were fluent in Russian
Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKa3BVleHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7DrufbZks

There is ingenuity out there, just hard to get it to the mass market. And the people doing mass market amateur radio don't understand (at a minimum) a lot of the new market forces in amateur radio.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

A decent high end laptop at that IIRC. Not too practical for portable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want a shit hot SDR with 100W, get the ANAN-100B. $1795 at Gigaparts and HRO. Maybe they'll have a show special?

The only thing the 100B doesn't do compared to the 100D or 200D is true diversity receive.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Hopefully it'll be revealed what the Yaesu FT-891 is.

It was reported as a QRP radio but maybe is just a small full power radio.

http://www.gigaparts.com/Yaesu-FT-891-HF-6M-Transceiver.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Going to the authoritative source: FCC
From the pictures I think ft-857 replacement more than ft-817.
Looking at the ID images the power portion shows 23 amps.  

HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver ID Label/Location Info ID_Drawing Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd.
Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd. HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver
See More Details For FCC ID: K6620651X50
Purchase on Amazon: HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#49]
MTC has this on their reserve page:

Yaesu FT-891 HF+6M 100W Transceiver
View Quote

http://www.mtcradio.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-100w-transceiver-reserve-only/
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

HF/50 MHz Amateur Transceiver ID Label/Location Info ID_Drawing Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was telling a buddy this morning. Look at the rig on the table. It looks like a mobile rig very much like the 857 but he made the point that just because they used a 23A power supply doesn't mean anything other than that's what they used in testing. We don't know shit about whether it's a 100W rig or a 10W rig. If you look at the documents, they used a Yaesu branded power supply and do they make a lower amperage power supply other than a 23A supply? He has a point.

I'm thinking it's a replacement for the 857 as well.....but who knows.

The calls for a 817 replacement have been getting pretty loud.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top