Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2016 3:24:14 PM EDT
So I'm downsizing/upgrading my station, cleaning out the shack of the radios I don't use anymore, and planning to get a new main base rig.  I have a bunch of older HF radios (over a dozen) and I'm selling most of them aside from one of my kenwood hybrids.  I already sold my 857D and got a TS-480 to replace it, and couldn't be happier with that switch, but still looking for something with higher performance as my main rig at home since I got the 857/480 for mobile use and as a backup to my main base rig.  

The current front runner is the TS-590SG, but I'm looking for opinions before I pull the trigger on one.  In an ideal world it would be the K3 but after looking at all the options I would want, the K3 is much more cost prohibitive for me.  

The KX3 is a nice option also but would cost a lot more than the 590 as well once optioned out, and I'm not really wanting that kind of form factor for my base rig.  I will likely get a KX3 anyway someday for portable/field/qrp use once I sell my TT 556 Argo and pair of Yaesu FT-7's which have been my QRP options up to this point.

So anyone want to try and change my mind and go for another rig, or should I pull the trigger on the 590SG?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Not going to get any argument from me. I love my TS-590S!

I like Elecraft products also & recently added a KPA500 amp & KAT500 tuner to my shack. I'm impressed with them so far.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus one for the Kenwood TS-590.  If I could only have one HF radio, the TS-590 would be my pick.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
IC-7300. Seriously. Even with any bugs it might have because it's brand new. Read the 7300 thread...
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
MTC has the discount code avail, pretty banging deal. It's proven itself a winner.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IC-7300. Seriously. Even with any bugs it might have because it's brand new. Read the 7300 thread...
View Quote

Looks interesting, but being linuxmasterrace I don't really want to roll the dice on when it will be supported for me.   I guess I would like to stick on something on this list, optimally in beta or stable:

https://sourceforge.net/p/hamlib/wiki/Supported%20Radios/
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks interesting, but being linuxmasterrace I don't really want to roll the dice on when it will be supported for me.   I guess I would like to stick on something on this list, optimally in beta or stable:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In all likelihood it would work with the 7200 driver.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
From one of the locals it uses the 7100 driver.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Plus whatever number for the 590S. What I have and love it.
Sarge
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]

I can merrily report the 590SG loves the linux here in my shack.

fldigi and wsjtx nary a problem using pavucontrol.

I even have fldigi changing filters for me via macro buttons.

Ohhhhhhh...talk you OUT of the 590SG...nope, can't help you there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my 590SG and its on my favorite frequency.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Also gotta love the range of the 590 family internal antenna tuner...

Nick (another 590 fan boy)
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy it if you like it. I thought about buying one but was not too impressed with it's receiver and DSP performance. The receiver is too noisy for my liking and DSP noise reduction makes it's audio sound like it's under water.
In my opinion,a Yaesu FTDX3000 if a much better performing radio. I've done a lot of side by side testing before a purchasing a new FTDX3000. It does cost a little more but the price difference is worth every penny. Having a nice bandscope is a nice feature to have too but it's the receiver audio quality and performance that has influenced my decision to buy one. On HF bands, it basically sounds like a 2m FM when DSP NR is on. I love it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy it if you like it. I thought about buying one but was not too impressed with it's receiver and DSP performance. The receiver is too noisy for my liking and DSP noise reduction makes it's audio sound like it's under water.
In my opinion,a Yaesu FTDX3000 if a much better performing radio. I've done a lot of side by side testing before a purchasing a new FTDX3000. It does cost a little more but the price difference is worth every penny. Having a nice bandscope is a nice feature to have too but it's the receiver audio quality and performance that has influenced my decision to buy one. On HF bands, it basically sounds like a 2m FM when DSP NR is on. I love it.
View Quote

For another THOUSAND DOLLARS I should hope it would sound better!    
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone for the replies... after consideration of a few things I ended up getting a used TS-590S yesterday which still leaves me with enough to get a KX3 at dayton

I got rig control working in Linux (mint) with fldigi under hamlib and rigcat without too much trouble.  

Bought it used with the box and everything, and even some DIN connectors and stuff from R&L for $995 and im quite happy with it so far.  I realized now since I have a 590S, 480SAT, and D72 that I now need a D710 soon so I can use sky command with them all.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet!

I'll just add that I love my 590S as well.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#17]

I did the frimware updates on mine after the TS590SG came out, ....pretty cool that i got a bunch of the new features without spending any more money

I LOVE my 590, and have no desire to replace it anytime soon.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#18]

[/thread]

Some hams are upgrading to the K3s and their old K3 may be up for sale.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My next HF rig will be one from Flex 6000 series.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
The TS-590SG is a nice rig, but I've had bad luck with the warranty service in the USA. I sold mine and bought and Elecraft.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#21]
There are an amazing number of used 590's for sale right now. No doubt all being replaced by IC7300's.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I love the K3 but it is much harder to fit into my budget... decided for me the best option for me is to get the 590s as well as a KX3 for less $ than the K3 optioned as I want it.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There are an amazing number of used 590's for sale right now. No doubt all being replaced by IC7300's.
View Quote

I am not so sure that I would be dumping a Kenwood TS-590 for an Icom IC-7300 anytime soon.  

There are some serious issues coming to light that might be problematic for owners and potential buyers.

It seems that the IC-7300 is having issues with receiver overload.

This might be a problem for those wanting to use the IC-7300 near an AM Broadcast Station or in a Field Day environment.  

Icom suggested to one owner to either buy a more expensive Icom rig with better roofing filters or to buy an aftermarket pre-selector to remedy his receiver overload issue.

That would be a deal killer for me.

Maybe its just growing pains for the IC-7300 or it could be serious design flaw.  Either way it might be wise to wait and see before making a IC-7300 purchase.

eHam Reviews

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I did the frimware updates on mine after the TS590SG came out, ....pretty cool that i got a bunch of the new features without spending any more money

View Quote

This...love my 590s
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Think I'm going to do the update tonight, need to dust off one of my windows computers and likely update the hell out of it first though...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://g7vjr.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/k3.jpg

[/thread]

Some hams are upgrading to the K3s and their old K3 may be up for sale.
View Quote

I really like my K3 the receiver is excellent

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah I love the K3 but it is much harder to fit into my budget... decided for me the best option for me is to get the 590s as well as a KX3 for less $ than the K3 optioned as I want it.  

View Quote

You could build a basic 100 Watt K3 and add features as you get the money.

As for the IC-7300 (or any new radio), wait for the ARRL review to come out. By that time, major bugs should be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am not so sure that I would be dumping a Kenwood TS-590 for an Icom IC-7300 anytime soon.  

There are some serious issues coming to light that might be problematic for owners and potential buyers.

This might be a problem for those wanting to use the IC-7300 near an AM Broadcast Station or in a Field Day environment.  

Icom suggested to one owner to either buy a more expensive Icom rig with better roofing filters or to buy an aftermarket pre-selector to remedy his receiver overload issue.

Maybe its just growing pains for the IC-7300 or it could be serious design flaw.  Either way it might be wise to wait and see before making a IC-7300 purchase.

eHam Reviews

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eHam Reviews

It's not a deal killer for everyone. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The darn thing has no less than 15 preselect filters. People have to learn how to run their direct conversion receivers. RF gain is your friend. It takes different techniques. A very strong, nearby interferer is nevertheless a problem for all direct conversion SDRs. Particularly those architected to allow a multiplicity of receivers by using minimal preselect filtering.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not a deal killer for everyone. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The darn thing has no less than 15 preselect filters. People have to learn how to run their direct conversion receivers. RF gain is your friend. It takes different techniques. A very strong, nearby interferer is nevertheless a problem for all direct conversion SDRs. Particularly those architected to allow a multiplicity of receivers by using minimal preselect filtering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eHam Reviews

Time will tell if this an operator issue or a serious design flaw with the IC-7300.

As with most newly released ham gear its usually prudent to wait before making a major purchase.  

The first six months will be the real test for the IC-7300. I am sure there  will be many more reviews that  may shed light on any potential issues.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As for the IC-7300 (or any new radio), wait for the ARRL review to come out. By that time, major bugs should be fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was considering it, but a basic KX3 and the used 590s still cost less combined than a basic 10 watt K3.... if i wasn't buying a house soon I would have gone with the K3 but just cant budget for that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:...

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top