Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 5:33:30 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a Flex1500 radio for JT65 and CW work and so am searching for opinions.

I just read through the 'why don't you do SDR' thread and searched for the Flex 1500 references.  I saw that a few folks (444 in particular) had no love for the 1500 because of CW latency issues, but I thought that those had been rectified as of a few years ago.

Anyone who has one or has operated one, whether QRP or an add-on amp (like the Hardrock 50) using those 2 modes, I would love to have your opinions.

Also, if you can find links to other people's reviews, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a Flex1500 radio for JT65 and CW work and so am searching for opinions.

I just read through the 'why don't you do SDR' thread and searched for the Flex 1500 references.  I saw that a few folks (444 in particular) had no love for the 1500 because of CW latency issues, but I thought that those had been rectified as of a few years ago.

Anyone who has one or has operated one, whether QRP or an add-on amp (like the Hardrock 50) using those 2 modes, I would love to have your opinions.

Also, if you can find links to other people's reviews, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
View Quote

Well, I absolutely loved the radio...............but not for CW.

I don't think there is any way to fix the latency problem in the 1500, but I could very easily be wrong. I am not a very technical guy. I always thought that the problem is that the signal goes through the radio, then to the computer, and back to the transmitter; causing latency. Again, I am basically a functioning idiot, so I am probably wrong.
As I said before, the radio worked on CW. The receiver was great and all that, it is just very difficult to send when your sidetone is different from what you are sending. It lags what you are sending. The side tone doesn't match what you are currently sending, it is what you sent several seconds ago.  I believe I gave two ways around this issue. One is to shut off the side tone and electronic keyer in the software and use an external keyer with it's own side tone. Another way around this problem is to use a keyboard and macros to send CW.
In other words, anything that doesn't require a side tone coming from the PC speakers.

If you are a straight key guy or a bug guy, you will just have to deal with it. In my case, I was able to use a straight key with no side tone and I was told I was sending coherent CW   FWIW: I have done this before with very simple, homebrew CW transmitters that didn't have a sidetone.

I should add that I was running this radio over USB. I don't know anything about Fire Wire

The 6000 series Flex radios fixed this problem by doing the processing inside the radio box. The computer is just a control panel for the radio. With the older Flex radios, almost everything was being done inside the PC.

On digital modes, the rig works great.
On SSB, the radio works great.
It is an awesome receiver.
It is a fantastic rig for working DX.

I do own an amplifier that I use once a year or so with my QRP rigs. It isn't nessessary if you are using CW or digital modes. Mine is an HLA-300 Plus. As a side note, this amp requires a hefty power supply (it pulls 40 amps).  It is RF actuated.  I have an antenna switch in my shack with several different QRP rigs connected to it. In other words, instead of using the "antenna" switch to select multiple antennas, I am using it backwards to connect multiple rigs to one antenna.  The common coax line going to and from the switch is connected to the amplifier. So, I can use the amplifier with any rig connected to the switch. And, since the amplifier is RF actuated, I don't need any other control lines to switch on the amplifier. And the amplifier automatically selects the correct band via RF, although it faults very easily.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, that just creates more questions.

No problem with the external keyer, I build those for fun

But, if I turn the internal keyer off, will my headphone/speaker sound from the receiver be correctly synchronized?

Note that this page seems to say that the latency has been gone since about 2012/13
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, that just creates more questions.

No problem with the external keyer, I build those for fun

But, if I turn the internal keyer off, will my headphone/speaker sound from the receiver be correctly synchronized?

Note that this page seems to say that the latency has been gone since about 2012/13
View Quote

Well, I told you I was probably wrong.
Assuming this fixed the issue, as I said, otherwise it was a fantastic radio.
The minute I started using it, I knew that I had crossed into another world of radio making me shake my head at anyone that chooses not to run an SDR. I mean this literally. It is so much better than anything else I ever owned or used that it was a revelation.
As soon as the 6000 series radios were announced, I knew I had to have one based on my experience with the 1500. If this latency issue didn't exist, I probably would be running a 1500 today.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]

I owned a Flex 1500 back in 2011, but quickly upgraded to the Flex 3000.  The 1500 has a strong following with those that use transverters, EME,etc....but for me found the 5 watt output limiting. I bought a 45 watt amp, but the 100 watt Flex 3000 was a better fit.

I now run a Flex 6500 and haven't looked back. Its a shame that Flex don't offer a QRP rig with SmartSDR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a flex 1500 and while it does work I would see phantom signals in it so I replaced it.

Apparently it is a known issue with the 1500

PS I'm the guy with nearly 4800 JT-65 contacts

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input - it looks like I'd be better of saving for the 3000 (or maybe an anan-10E).  

I hate having money burning a hole in my pocket and finding out that I have to wait......
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had my eye on the 6000 series...especially with that new control head coming out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I work right next door to Flex, their multiband beam and my want of one of their radios teases me every day at work.

I wonder if they would give out a free sample if I went by and asked?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I work right next door to Flex, their multiband beam and my want of one of their radios teases me every day at work.

View Quote

Talk them into commercial application with ALE. That IP connected control head for the 6000 series has the ability to be a total Micom killer...if they'd only jump on the ball.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in Austin too, they will do tours and they have a glut of 6x00's coming in the door right now (with their trade-in program).  But, I don't want to spend 2500 on a radio (or whatever their refurb price will be).  I'm starting to think a used 3000 for < $1K is the way to go especially as it seems the 3000 is better than the Anan 100 @ twice the price
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm in Austin too, they will do tours and they have a glut of 6x00's coming in the door right now (with their trade-in program).  But, I don't want to spend 2500 on a radio (or whatever their refurb price will be).  I'm starting to think a used 3000 for < $1K is the way to go especially as it seems the 3000 is better than the Anan 100 @ twice the price
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I might have to look into that. $2500 for a radio is not that big of a deal to me... Not that I'm rich but if its worth doing and getting it right the first time I don't mind dropping some money. Hell, I've spent that kinda money on my Motorola APX7000. A 3000 would def not be a bad way to go.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But, I don't want to spend 2500 on a radio (or whatever their refurb price will be).  I'm starting to think a used 3000 for < $1K is the way to go...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But, I don't want to spend 2500 on a radio (or whatever their refurb price will be).  I'm starting to think a used 3000 for < $1K is the way to go...

That is probably the least expensive way to get a 100W true SDR (DDC/DUC, not just an IF DSP pretender to the throne). I had one and I loved it. Pro's: fantastic receiver, small, rugged, reliable, built in tuner. Con's: the amp is not so good, with such bad IMD that you can never get good voice quality out of it, at least not anything comparable to the Apache Labs or Flex 6K series. It also requires a Firewire port and some people have had problems with RFI on their Firewire connections (I never did).

...especially as it seems the 3000 is better than the Anan 100 @ twice the price

There is no way that is true. Any Apache Labs radio is head and shoulders above the 3000 in all respects, mostly because of the software, and where voice quality is concerned the PureSignal linearization capability can't be beat by any radio.

I don't know why any one would look at an ANAN-100 anymore. The best 100W SDR deal in town is the ANAN-100B. $1795 and free shipping from Gigaparts or HRO. The only thing you don't get with the 100B is a second ADC channel for diversity receive (true diversity, i.e. beamforming). You do need a decent high end i5 or low end i7 at least to run it without any drama though.

To be fair, if you want un-fussy plug and play and/or remote operation, Flex is the king, but you'll pay for it. If you are more of an experimenter and love to tweak obscure settings in your radio, plus want to pay half of what a Flex costs, go Apache.

Big things are coming in the next year for Apache radios. The open source community is planning a major new software and firmware release. You will need GigE to run it! And Simon Brown of HRD fame is working on adapting his own client software for the Apache Labs (and other HPSDR open source) hardware which is looking pretty spectacular, too.

eta spelling
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]

SmartSDR is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
aa777888-2, thanks for all the information, I needed to be comparing apples to oranges (and sorry, I meant 100b, not 100)

The kicker is, I'm pulling the old bait and switch on myself.  I am attracted because of the flex1500 @ $500 (used) - and I'm interested in the QRP angle.  Then I come on here and see that the 3000 is better (and about $900 used).  Then I see the anan-10e, 10W, but then it's $1K (new) - so now I'm comparing a full power radio and a QRP radio / dollar to dollar.

I have ~$500 to spend for an SDR/QRP radio, not $1000.  If I'm going to spend $1000 I want a 100W radio.  When I get there, I'll sell my TS-520 and my TS-430 to fund (most of) the purchase price.

I'm conflicted, can anybody recommend a $500 QRP/SDR radio that outperforms the Flex1500?  BTW, I'm not against building something, if there is something that is comparable in kit form (that has a high degree of success probability)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Bob - you suck
That is an awesome picture, I see that's the 6000 series - still more than I want to spend today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

aa777888-2, thanks for all the information, I needed to be comparing apples to oranges (and sorry, I meant 100b, not 100)
The kicker is, I'm pulling the old bait and switch on myself.  I am attracted because of the flex1500 @ $500 (used) - and I'm interested in the QRP angle.  Then I come on here and see that the 3000 is better (and about $900 used).  Then I see the anan-10e, 10W, but then it's $1K (new) - so now I'm comparing a full power radio and a QRP radio / dollar to dollar.
I have ~$500 to spend for an SDR/QRP radio, not $1000.  If I'm going to spend $1000 I want a 100W radio.  When I get there, I'll sell my TS-520 and my TS-430 to fund (most of) the purchase price.
I'm conflicted, can anybody recommend a $500 QRP/SDR radio that outperforms the Flex1500?  BTW, I'm not against building something, if there is something that is comparable in kit form (that has a high degree of success probability)
View Quote
OmniSDR might be worth looking at once the kits are back in stock. This is the peaberry V2 SDR reboot.
I've completed the DIY kit - all components are installed by the builder.

And have the SemiDIY kit waiting for me when I return from the trip that I'm on.

VS the 1500

Omnia shows 96k of spectrum vs 48? for the 1500.

1500 is 5w vs the ~1w of the omnia.

Omnia is <200 possibly with a 10w amplifier from the hardrock guys but you would have to figure out the BP filters.

1500 is 160-6m where the omnia is only 4 bands max.

Omnia vs 1500 neither require a soundcard

1500 runs PowerSDR vs HDSDR is the only supported software. IMO PowerSDR is easier to use and has a better layout but HDSDR is usable. Made a PSK contact with Canada from Georgia when I finished my DIY build at 1.7w on 20M.

The DIY kit it a bit of work to assemble. The fine pitch IC's were a pain for me but I think if I used more flux it would have been better.

Omnia can be assembled with just an iron but you will need some solder wick to clean up the fine pitch. I used an embossing hot air and paste and still needed wick.

The semiDIY kit has 85% of the components already on the board, the BP components are the only thing to install.

" />

This is the DIY kit mostly assembled minus the PA section.

If you are interested in the omnia kit join the yahoo group.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
So, what/where is the latest and greatest PowerSDR (or other full-featured) software for the SoftRock or other non-Flex units?

Maybe I'm missing it, but all I see on search is the same versions that were available a few years ago, and which all had something or another missing or broken in them that made them less than full-featured.  If memory serves, one could either have a version that had good RX filter functionality -or- one could have good RX functionality but poor TX functionality, no speech compression, etc...  I don't think any had nice low CW latency.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OmniSDR might be worth looking at once the kits are back in stock. This is the peaberry V2 SDR reboot. I've completed the DIY kit - all components are installed by the builder.
And have the SemiDIY kit waiting for me when I return from the trip that I'm on.

VS the 1500
Omnia is <200 possibly with a 10w amplifier from the hardrock guys but you would have to figure out the BP filters.
1500 runs PowerSDR vs HDSDR is the only supported software. IMO PowerSDR is easier to use and has a better layout but HDSDR is usable. Made a PSK contact with Canada from Georgia when I finished my DIY build at 1.7w on 20M.

The DIY kit it a bit of work to assemble. The fine pitch IC's were a pain for me but I think if I used more flux it would have been better.
Omnia can be assembled with just an iron but you will need some solder wick to clean up the fine pitch. I used an embossing hot air and paste and still needed wick.
The semiDIY kit has 85% of the components already on the board, the BP components are the only thing to install.

http://<a href=http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/mattmorgan74/Omnia%20SDR/IMG_20160118_221229_zpsopxbu8ye.jpg" />

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OmniSDR might be worth looking at once the kits are back in stock. This is the peaberry V2 SDR reboot. I've completed the DIY kit - all components are installed by the builder.

VS the 1500

http://<a href=http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/mattmorgan74/Omnia%20SDR/IMG_20160118_221229_zpsopxbu8ye.jpg" />

Going to have to look into this. Would be a fun QRP digital rig.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

VS the 1500

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VS the 1500

That's pretty nice looking.  Has anyone seen/heard of the mcHF?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VS the 1500

That looks like a pretty cool kit also. These QRP HF rigs are really interesting to me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]

So is openHPSDR on the Apache platform

Of course it doesn't have more than two receivers yet, but more are coming in the next release.

But it does have PureSignal linearization. Check it out, -55dBc IMD on the two tone:

And about -50dBc with voice:

That's how you get stellar voice quality, not to mention the ability to be a Good Bandwidth Citizen
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
So any of these fancy pants software run on a dual core atom proc?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#23]
PowerSDR will, if you crank down the visible bandwidth and framerate.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much of an issue is frame rate? And how much bandwith we talkin? I mainly want to scan 80/40/20/17 etc for activity.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1555/24887728651_6d45b1c595_c.jpg

Of course it doesn't have more than two receivers yet, but more are coming in the next release.

But it does have PureSignal linearization. Check it out, -55dBc IMD on the two tone:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1594/24354183333_85e4614891_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1488/24954733826_feb85a837e_c.jpg

That's how you get stellar voice quality, not to mention the ability to be a Good Bandwidth Citizen
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1555/24887728651_6d45b1c595_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1594/24354183333_85e4614891_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1488/24954733826_feb85a837e_c.jpg

Pure Signal on the horizon with SmartSDR, but no ETA as of yet.

It will be interesting to see what comes next, but for me SmartSDR is plug and play and all settings are saved in the radio.

Maestro is also coming for the Flex and that will add an interesting dimension for those who want to operated remotely.

I am not sure I could live with the perpetual Beta environment of the Anan, but is sure looks cool.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How much of an issue is frame rate? And how much bandwith we talkin? I mainly want to scan 80/40/20/17 etc for activity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is all you want to do grab an RTL and up converter off of amazon for less than $100.

Here is my hackRF (around $300 but over kill for what you are wanting)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top