BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I managed to squeak by a contact on 20m CW about an hour ago.

Now I will be sitting on pins and needles till they upload their log to confirm.  
View Quote

It's s long wait when they only upload once a day at most!  

I have practically no copy with them on any bands right now, and then some massive power line noise started.  I switched to 2M to DF the noise with my beam and found it to be directly NE.  The powerline noise stopped and I started hearing signals.  With all of the DX I had forgotten about the VHF contest going on, and I worked a several stations out to almost 300 miles away!    Still hearing and working stations there.  ETA:  One was 260 miles off the back of my beam.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have practically no copy with them on any bands right now, and then some massive power line noise started.  I switched to 2M to DF the noise with my beam and found it to be directly NE.  The powerline noise stopped and I started hearing signals.  With all of the DX I had forgotten about the VHF contest going on, and I worked a several stations out to almost 300 miles away!    Still hearing and working stations there.  ETA:  One was 260 miles off the back of my beam.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I managed to squeak by a contact on 20m CW about an hour ago.

Now I will be sitting on pins and needles till they upload their log to confirm.  

I have a local DX friend that chases VHF/UHF and I haven't heard from him all weekend....now I know where he has been hiding.

I tried for about two hours on 30m, but the damn DQRM was horrible.  

I ended up checking into the Air Force MARS net and my blood pressure is now going down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Worked them again on 30m CW at about 08:00Z. I was in that pile up for about 5 hours.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  Signal levels seem to be much stronger than K3P based on me listening in for a few hours yesterday.  I Remote Desktopped into my  rig yesterday to mindlessly click the buttons on RTTY while watching TV with wifey, but no love :(

I wonder if the stronger signals makes it easier or harder to QSO?  It seems few were hearing K3P, while I could almost always hear them, even though weak (due, I imagine, to the moderate noise levels here in rural-ish East Texas), and therefore maybe it was the case that far fewer were trying to contact them with their nice gain antennas in noisy locations vs. my wires in a fairly quiet location.

It sounds, and looks like on the waterfall, that every ham on the planet is trying to QSO SGI....

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]

VP8SGI in the log on 20m and 30m.  Life is good!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure you retired folks have all day to chase DX!

I tried for 2 hours last night on 20m & 30m, no joy. They had a better signal on 20m. I swore I would always run barefoot, but an amp might make a good investment for chasing DX.

Stuck at work now, may try them later if possible.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Sad lonely little 12 M contact.  Took 4 or 5 calls.  This one was on the 24 x 21 ft inverted L, 600 W.

This one's going to be harder than K5P - it looks like it's mostly evening and cuts into quality XYL time.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure you retired folks have all day to chase DX!
View Quote

Can't chase them if you can't hear them.  But that's still better than having to go to work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Great job guys!

I've heard them well on 10 and 40 over the weekend but could never get though in time.  Have not copied them at all on 80 or 160.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bagged them on 20m CW!

I feel confident it will be in the next Club Log update. We'll see.

** Signal starting to build on 30m now - may jump in that pile soon.  **
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I got home from work and they were loud and clear on 17 SSB.  One minute later they started to fade out and I never made a contact before their signal vanished.

A bit later they came on 20 SSB and I could copy, but soon that faded out too.  I think both 17 and 20 would have been much better if my antenna was higher than 30'.

Just a bit ago I decided to listen to them on 30 CW where they are coming in great.  This is my Hi-Z 3-LV2-40 Triangular Receive Array but I can copy them on my other antennas too.
Poor quality video from my iPhone that doesn't like my monitor's refresh rate and might make you seasick from the motion.  At the beginning he goes nuts on a guy that won't respond.  

http://vid49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/killmoles/IMG_0196_zps8d9cbrou.mp4
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
He's still strong on 20m here, but totally below the noise on 30m now. Wish I had this good signal when they were on Sammidge Isl. Never heard them well enough to work before they had to skedaddle.

**ETA - I take that back, I guess they were QRX while I was listening.  I can copy him fine now on 30m **
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]

They were there for a few minutes on 30 to me last night...but the LIDs were all over them so did not even try to call.

LID duty-cycle about 50%.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They were there for a few minutes on 30 to me last night...but the LIDs were all over them so did not even try to call.

LID duty-cycle about 50%.
View Quote

I heard that! I gave up after about 20 minutes of listening to the LID Fest on 30m.

Anxiously awaiting the next Club Log update.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats to HogSniper for an all time new one!

I worked VP8SGI on 40m CW at about 08:40Z, so I am again waiting for the log update. Saw a 10m and 15m spot just now, but zero signals at my location.

I am not sure what's up with the 30m lids. For me CW and 30m has been an especially good band, but for some reason this Dxpedition has brought out the idiots in droves.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Thx K9-Bob!

Log has been updated, made the cut!  

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Congrats Hog Sniper on your being in the log!

I just checked and my recent 40m contact and its there also.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]

40m Phone contact in the log!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Dang, Bob, leave some 40 meter contacts for me!  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dang, Bob, leave some 40 meter contacts for me!  

http://i.imgur.com/al09SLT.jpg
View Quote

A friend gave me the spot about 08:30Z. I heard him working JA's, but he was also taking US callers. I gave my call once and he came right back to me.

That never happens for me, so I was very pleased being at the right place at the right time.  

I have had not luck whatsoever below 20m. Those bands are dead to me for the most part with zero propagation.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Thought I got them yesterday.  But apparently I didn't.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have had the best luck working them between 2am and 3am central time on 30m and 40m.  I just can't seem to work them on anything above 20m due to poor propagation.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have had the best luck working them between 2am and 3am central time on 30m and 40m.  I just can't seem to work them on anything above 20m due to poor propagation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best time for me has been gray line, during the evening.

Not much chance I'm going to be up between 0200 and 0300.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Late nite DX is good for old retired guys like me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Late nite DX is good for old retired guys like me.
View Quote

Hopefully some day I can do that too.

Just worked him on 40 CW through the MASSIVE DQRM LIDFEST.  He had to repeat my call may times due to the QRM.  Best propagation I've seen yet.  Solid S9 and peaking well over that right at my gray line.

ETA:  Notes from the cluster for your amusement.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, I see the idiots are on 40m bad now. Sad cause I have a good copy on them.

I saw a spot post that said "FCC NOTIFIED". Yeah, like that will fix everything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#27]

I thought I got them last night...but clublog says no.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#28]
The have been uploading only once per day, so check again in late afternoon to see if you are there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#29]
This one is going to be interesting.

Last night I broke through on 40 meters.

I actually had the HRD code reader on and saw my call come back to me so I'm pretty sure I'm in the log.

OTOH if I am not I have a leg to stand on.

I generally do NOT use the reader as even though I'm still confused I am SLOWLY getting a LITTLE better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm pretty sure I know what happened to my QSO.

I know damn well he was responding to my call sign, as he asked me to repeat it (the signal was quite weak).  Checking his log, if I replace the  "I" in my call sign with and "E", there is a valid QSO.  Since the person who actually owns that call sign is a new technician (with only 5 look ups on QRZ), and can't operate on 20 meters, I'm pretty sure that was me. Rats.....

Oh well....I'll try again tonight at grey line.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah, he was being super-nice and repeating calls, so I probably should have sent my call again and made sure, I just hate being 'that guy'.

It really was a LID fest. Folks calling on freq, tuning (could have been intentional) and some guy sending his call on freq at like 5 wpm every 5 minutes or so.

I couldn't hear them at all on 15 or 30, as usual.

If I get this one I will be quite proud, as it was the toughest QSO so far due to faint signal and all the LIDs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Log updated!

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Just worked them on 20m but the guys that are doing PSK on top of him should be shot.

Worked them on 15, 17 and 20m phone.  15/17 confirmed and will have to wait till next log update to check 20.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Just bagged them on 17
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#35]

YAY!

I am in the log!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone is DQRMing the hell out of them on 30 meters right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Made it. I'm in the log.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Made it. I'm in the log.
View Quote

Congrats! I see you got them on 17m phone.

Come to think, I never even tried them on phone.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Not spending too much time on this one since it seems that prime grey-line time is right around dinner time.

These contacts were maybe 15 minutes of trying max - EXCEPT for 20M CW the other day.  I must have spent 2 or 3 hours trying to get through to their loud S8 or S9 CW session, but zippo.  Never did contact them on 20M CW.

These last 2 contacts were on the 45 x 45 inv-L, 700 W on 20M, 100W on 30M.  30M contact was at around 1 AM central, the only time I can safely steal away from the XYL...

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#40]

12m CW in the log.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#41]
For those that haven't yet worked them.....VP8SGI is going to take ATNO's periodically on Feb 7th.

This will hopefully open up bands for the little fish to make their first contact with them.

Keep an eye on the DX clusters to know when.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I worked him on 20m CW, but there is a new technician class ham in California who got credit for it.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I worked him on 20m CW, but there is a new technician class ham in California who got credit for it.  
View Quote

You can email them after the expedition and have them check their log for your busted call sign.  

Its fixable if your log times are correct and match with theirs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#44]

These were the only bands I ever heard them so I'll take it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
As you may already know, from DX-World.net:

FLASH NEWS @ 14:00z — Last night they had a big storm and VP8SGI members went back to Braveheart for security reasons.  Everybody is OK and now they are waiting a weather change to dismount and pack everything. Last log file will be uploaded from Stanley, Falkland Is. VP8SGI now is QRT.

Thanks everyone for posting the DXpeds here - I've never bothered working any of them before, in all 40 some yrs of having a license, and it was fun and interesting.  

It's interesting to find out what systems everybody is running.  I'm very happy with how my 2 test versions of inverted-L's (24 x 21 ft and 45 x 45 ft) performed on all bands.  Yet it's clear that as good as they are, they're not quite Pile Up Busting Super Station Material.  Which is as it should be.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made it. I'm in the log.

I could never get a decent signal on them on phone. I kept trying CW and I suck at it.

Finally they got a good signal to me on 17 meters and I worked it until the band went up.

The next day I tried again but family things came up and I had to bag it for a while.

When I got home my BIL dropped by and I told him I'd help him move a table when I managed to make the QSO and turned to the rig and tried again.

As he was standing there with a long face, BAM! Got him on the third try, logged it, turned to him and said, "Let's go."
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats to all that put them in the log.  

Then next big one will be VK0EK, Heard Island in March. Hopefully the bands will be in better shape.

VK0EK Heard Island

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Congrats to all that put them in the log.  

Then next big one will be VK0EK, Heard Island in March. Hopefully the bands will be in better shape.

VK0EK Heard Island

https://vk0ek.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/b-aeqcvcuaazzol.jpg

View Quote

That one is going to be a real circus!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Hopefully I will have the beam up by then.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Antarctica usually means work the grey line for me. Have several QSO's with that region digital & CW. Hopefully conditions will be good then.

I have a little something coming soon that should help.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top