Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 8:34:00 PM EDT
A little background - recently passed Tech and General.  Not much interest in VHF/UHF, though I did buy a good used FT60 for that purpose.

Current set-up precludes a permanent shack, so I'm looking at something that works portable and smaller/lighter is better.  Eventually if that changes this radio could wind up as the EMCOMM/SHTF etc radio.  Also, I don't have room for a big antenna or one that will remain set up.  Don't think an internal tuner is a must, but a best in class receiver is the direction I'm leaning as I'm guessing the antenna situation won't be optimum and the whole idea here is long distance communication.  No CW, at least not yet.  I am interested in the digital modes, and my research indicates the IC-7200 is the better among what I'm looking at.  

The interwebs point at 4 rigs for this type of situation, and for me I *think* the IC-7200 is the best.  But, it's the heaviest of the lot and has a pretty small display.  

Other candidates ranked best/worst by my best guess would be -

Yaesu FT-450D - tied for a close second.
ICOM IC-718 - tied for a close second, older not as many bells and whistles
Yaesu FT-857 - small display, receiver gets knocked in many reviews
Kenwood TS480SAT - ruled out for me on the basis of price and not liking the detachable face set up.

All five have their fans and detractors, so any reason to NOT get the IC-7200 before the sale at HRO ends Monday?  I plan to look at all of them before buying at the local HRO.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
IC-7200 + LDG IT100 tuner is the ARFCOM special for HF radios. I say fo!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
if you want handles and built in USB interface go 7200

if not

450D

we talked about this in Episode 39
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get the IC-7200 or the FT-450D out of those.  You're also in range of a very lightly used almost new-like TS-590S which come up for sale on QRZ or QTH frequently.  You did say something about best in class receiver, and that would be the TS-590S in my opinion because it's actually a step up in class from the ones you have listed.  

Just to stir the pot more:  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/675637_another_which_radio_thread___TenTec_Eagle_vs_TS_590_vs_IC_7200___updated.html

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=678738
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you want handles and built in USB interface go 7200

if not

450D

we talked about this in Episode 39
View Quote

I'll give it a listen, thanks for the episode #.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
PRC 320

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
7200 is GTG. I think about half of us use one here!

It's great for digital, I've done the NC thing for the digital net for a couple years on one and any issues haven't been from the radio.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a good rig.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I use as my portable/backup HF rig.  I really like mine.  Add a BuddiPole kit, a battery and a solar panel and you are set.

And make sure you get the handles for the 7200.  It just ain't right without them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the IC-7200 & LDG IT-100 tuner. If the radio is going to be moved around, the accessory handles are well worth the price for the protection they offer.
The IC-718 design is long in the tooth. The 7200 is state-of-the art and adapts to digital easily.

Give us a rough idea of how much room you have and we'll come up with some antenna ideas for you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The Yaesu FT-450D  and IC-7200 are both great rigs.

If you do opt for the Yaesu FT-450D remember that you would have to buy a digital interface.

There is no built in interface in the radio.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]

7200 = yes.

My opinion is to buy a 'better' LDG tuner that can handle higher power digi modes.  Read the specs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another vote for the IC-7200 & LDG IT-100 tuner. If the radio is going to be moved around, the accessory handles are well worth the price for the protection they offer.
The IC-718 design is long in the tooth. The 7200 is state-of-the art and adapts to digital easily.

Give us a rough idea of how much room you have and we'll come up with some antenna ideas for you.
View Quote

Is the 7200 "the best"?  Not by a long shot, but it is a newer design and has much of the performanced and features of much higher priced radios from not many
years ago.  The difference in price between the IC-718 and the 7200, you could not upgrade the 718 to equal the 7200 for 5 times that difference.

Yes, the 7200's "tactical handles" are a worthwhile addition for the protection they offer knobs and buttons.  The rear end is built so that the rear corners similarly
protect the plugs on back.  But look at the ruggedness of this radio's construction:

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7200/int.html

The chassis surrounds all of the boards, and there are grooves with O-rings that make it water resistant.  No, not waterproof, but a little rain is not going to hurt it.

And when you do find the dream rig you want in your shack, the IC-7200 makes one helluva portable/emergency/Field Day rig.

LDG IT-100 tuner, can't ask for better.

Right now my Ten-Tec Jupiter is out of commission, and has been replaced for now with my spare IC-7200.  I continue to get great signal reports on the nets I call.  
And lots of, "You sound great!  What rig are you running?"
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd get the IC-7200 or the FT-450D out of those.  You're also in range of a very lightly used almost new-like TS-590S which come up for sale on QRZ or QTH frequently.  You did say something about best in class receiver, and that would be the TS-590S in my opinion because it's actually a step up in class from the ones you have listed.  

Just to stir the pot more:  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/675637_another_which_radio_thread___TenTec_Eagle_vs_TS_590_vs_IC_7200___updated.html

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=678738
View Quote

Agreed, I just don't get the love for the mediocre performing 7200 when you can get a much better radio for not much more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Good stuff, and lots to think about.  Here's answers to some of the questions, and follow-up questions of my own.

RE used - at this point I'm not sure I have the knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff in the used market and can't really afford to spend more with the risk of buying a problem.  Better to buy "good enough" new and be sure it will work.  Out the door starting from zero this project will be $1k easy, creeping up here and there will break the budget for sure,.

RE antennas - back yard is more or less a 50'x100' rectangle with the long axis North/South.  Unfortunately no trees for support, so will need a tripod center with the ends to ~6' fences.  My thought is a dipole like the SOTA beam, but I'm certainly all ears for suggestions.

RE Tuners - why the IT-100 vs say the Z-11ProII?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

RE antennas - back yard is more or less a 50'x100' rectangle with the long axis North/South.  Unfortunately no trees for support, so will need a tripod center with the ends to ~6' fences.  My thought is a dipole like the SOTA beam, but I'm certainly all ears for suggestions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Par endfed antennas are easy to put up on a single pole and are fairly cheap...or roll your own for some added fun.

Quoted:

The specs look the same to me...get the one with more buttons.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]
With one central pole, put up an Inverted V. It could be a trap, fan, or combination of the two. It could also be a ladderline-fed doublet with a remote antenna tuner and balun mounted at the bottom of the pole. If you could route the ladderline from the pole to the house without encountering metallic objects, the balun could be put there and the antenna tuner placed at the radio. In that case, the ladderline would have to come away from the antenna at close to a right angle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]
So called end-fed antennas are a recipe for RF problems and poor performance. There is really no such thing as an end-fed antenna, the antenna will work against a counterpoise whether you intend for it to do that or not.

One thing to keep in mind for the OP is that the end of an antenna element is the high voltage point, with a 100 watt transmitter there is enough energy there to cause injury if someone was to come into contact with it. You might consider a way to get the ends up a little higher than 6 feet. If that's just the non-conductive rope tie point and the end of the antenna is further up in the air that's fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Packtenna
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:...
Agreed, I just don't get the love for the mediocre performing 7200 when you can get a much better radio for not much more.
View Quote

+1

the 7200 receiver is luke-warm,  . . . . as the sunspot numbers decline, the higher bands will grow quiet, and the low bands will become crowded.
this is were  you need a better receiver to fight nearby interference

QST test data

http://www.remeeus.eu/hamradio/pa1hr/productreview.htm

You asked for a reason not to buy one, that is it.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

For portable, the IT-100, or rather, the IC-7200, is easily set up to "Tune on PTT".  

No, it does not tune every time you key the mic.  It will tune after band changes,
and any time SWR over a certain threshold is encountered, it will tune.  You don't
have to go through the process of reducing power setting, switching to a carrier
wave mode, tuning, turning everything back.  The radio will automatically do all
of that for you.

If you use some of the other tuners that will not do this automatically, you can
add the W2ENY "Ten-a-Tuner", which is a small plug with a few encapsulated
components that plugs into the 4-pin Molex socket on the back of the 7200.  
With the Ten-a-Tuner, when you wish to tune, press the 7200's Tune button,
the radio switches to carrier at 10 w, sends a carrier wave for 10 seconds, then
switches back to previous mode and power.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1

the 7200 receiver is luke-warm,  . . . . as the sunspot numbers decline, the higher bands will grow quiet, and the low bands will become crowded.

QST test data

View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

QST test data

Performance is not what matters on ARFCOM...its looks.

No other HF radio has brush guard handles and that GI Joe cool like the IC-7200 does!!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No other HF radio has brush guard handles and that GI Joe cool like the IC-7200 does!!  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Wouldnt take the 718 over the 7200 or FT-450 the 718 is a nice rig but very basic and somewhat dated now and as other have said upgrades for digital modes etc would put you over the price of a 7200. That said the 7200 and 450 have pluses and minuses the 7200 is larger but lighter than the 450.
the 450 display is larger and easier to read but the 7200 gives you all the important info more concisely IMHO. The 7200 needs no external interface to do digital modes --built in soundcard makes interfacing to a computer literally plug and play. The FT-450 will do FM for 10 and 6 mtrs and the stock mic is better.  The 7200 menus/settings are easier to use than the Yaesu. Icom used up front panel space for a speaker. Both have thier strong and weak points.  Dont think You would go wrong with either rig. But if you do plan on operating outside the Icom is the better choice.  Personally I like the Icom better but I get better audio reports from the Yaesu but the 450 is the first rig I ever broke --I dont like RJ45 style mic jacks which Yaesu has gone to universally,, I cracked mine and had to send it to Yaesu for repairs, yanked the mic away from the unit accidentally (hard) and the jack broke. Yaesu fixed it at no cost but I had to ship it. Pretty much about it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. Icom has made a truckload of money basically because they made those display radios painted in camo and OD green.

As a thought exercise, it'd be really interesting if the Elecraft K2 was less expensive. Someone could make a ruggedized chassis for it and it'd be about the perfect field HF radio.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1

QST test data

View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

QST test data

Interesting.  As I've dug into it and looked around online the Kenwood TS-590 looks better and better.  Looks like the 7200 is a little more robust and would handle being outside better but that's about it.

So, switching gears to the TS-590, there's an online dealer of used equipment that has one listed at $899.  Is that a "reasonable" price?  Probably more expensive that private party, but the possibility of recourse if it's a dud costs.

LDG makes the KT-100 tuner - assume this is the same as the one for the ICOM, and would be as useful?

Any suggestions for a switching power supply?  Would this Alinco DM-330FXT suffice?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Packtenna
View Quote

Looks interesting, but mostly like a more expensive version of the SOTA Beam?  Does it offer something that makes it better?  

The Buddipole and or TransWorld antennas might also be an option.  Not nearly as portable, but with the stands overcome the lack of tall supports.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

QST test data

View Quote

The only measurement of concern appears to be "2 khz blocking gain compression", color coded red, meaning, according to the
legend near the bottom, poor.

About blocking gain compression it says, "If the radio receiver is blocked by the neighbouring transmitter then it can seriously
degrade the performance of the overall radio communications system."

This would likely only be the case of several HF rigs operating simultaneously in one location, for example, multi op on Field Day.  

But if not used for multi op, just one ham out in the boonies, huddled down under his lean-to in the mountains, eating the peanut
butter and crackers out of an MRE, sucking water from a stream with his filter straw, and the kids whining, "Daddy, can we go
home now?", is that 2 khz blocking gain compression spec likely to be a problem?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only measurement of concern appears to be "2 khz blocking gain compression", color coded red, meaning, according to the

About blocking gain compression it says, "If the radio receiver is blocked by the neighbouring transmitter then it can seriously

This would likely only be the case of several HR rigs operating simultaneously in one location, for example, multi op on Field Day.  

But if not used for multi op, just one ham out in the boonies, huddled down under his lean-to in the mountains, eating the peanut
butter and crackers out of an MRE, sucking water from a stream with his filter straw, and the kids whining, "Daddy, can we go
home now?", is that 2 khz blocking gain compression spec likely to be a problem?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QST test data

This would likely only be the case of several HR rigs operating simultaneously in one location, for example, multi op on Field Day.  

The radio doesn't know how far away the neighbouring transmitter is geographically, only knows the signal strength

so, if you're out in the boonies, trying to QSO, and there's a really strong +60db over 9 monster signal a a few Khz away, it can de-sensitize your receiver

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:... the Kenwood TS-590 looks better and better. .

LDG makes the KT-100 tuner - assume this is the same as the one for the ICOM, and would be as useful?

Any suggestions for a switching power supply?  Would this Alinco DM-330FXT suffice?
View Quote

the Kenwood TS-590 is a superb radio

It has an internal antenna tuner, so you'll likely not need to buy an LDG

I like the SAMLEX 1223 power supply, mine has been running since 2001 without trouble.

Which dealer has one for $899 ?

that seems like a great price.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like the SAMLEX 1223 power supply, mine has been running since 2001 without trouble.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:... the Kenwood TS-590 looks better and better. .

MTC had one on Ebay, but the price quickly went up.

I took a chance on another Ebay sale on what looks to be a good clean one.  Turned out <$899 with shipping.

Now to start accumulating all the other stuff so I can get on the air!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+1

QST test data

View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

QST test data

According to that chart, the KX3 has some pretty awesome stats.  I may swap out my IC-7100 for my KX4 as my home station.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

My GUESS-yes, GUESS is the internal tuner will work nicely with the OCFDs like Jupe posted but will probably not tune something that is very far out of resonance. In short, it will be picky about what it tunes.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My GUESS-yes, GUESS is the internal tuner will work nicely with the OCFDs like Jupe posted but will probably not tune something that is very far out of resonance. In short, it will be picky about what it tunes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works pretty well.

Better than expected.

The LDG will tune anything,  but when you match 10;1 SWR to 50ohms, you're not really getting out much.

In other words, having a kick-ass tuner and a shit antenna will yield little DX

....as we all know, the ANTENNA is the most important part of an HF station

I'd work more DX with an old basic TS-140 or IC-718 and a tower, 3 element yagi, than an FTX-5000 into a hamstick.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It works pretty well.

Better than expected.

The LDG will tune anything,  but when you match 10;1 SWR to 50ohms, you're not really getting out much.

I'd work more DX with an old basic TS-140 or IC-718 and a tower, 3 element yagi, than an FTX-5000 into a hamstick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works pretty well.

Better than expected.

You work way too much to chase DX.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shouldn't you be on 2meters crying about your epizootics, arthritis, and Dementia ?

Dick

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#37]
We put up an OCFD for a local guy here with a 590, the internal tuner successfully tuned both before and after we tuned the antenna. Including bands that the antenna isn't supposed to work on like 30m and 15m. YMMV but it seemed to work well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shouldn't you be on 2meters crying about your epizootics, arthritis, and Dementia ?

http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/54857.JPG

Dick

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick

If you live long enough you might be able to retire and play radio too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Spend more $$$ on the antenna than the radio.  
A remote autotuner, AT4, with the 7200 and a loop or yagi... all day long.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It works pretty well.

Better than expected.

View Quote

That goes without saying.

Still it is nice to be able to tune something to make it work even though it isn't as efficient as it could be.

I have worked a number of DX stations by tuning a bucket or a ladder if propagation is favorable.

As a general rule of thumb (with notable exceptions) a built in tuner isn't as good as an external one. I was just curious how well the one in this particular rig works.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:37:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dick

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick

Or on 160 meters griping about hemorrhoids or prostate problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top