Tablet and SDR

Too heavy and bulky

Ooookkkk.

Is that smaller than the HT shown?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weight less than 1lb and HT sized, send me link.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not a nice SSB SWL radio?

Would this one work?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For me HF & bug out would have to be a mobile of some sort installed in my vehicle.  If on foot I can think of many more important things to take up my weight.
View Quote

I think there is value in carrying a trail-friendly HF CW transceiver while on foot.  There's a lot of areas beyond cell and repeater range out there.  This gives you an idea what you might expect from a 5W CW transceiver and a dipole at 17' on 40m:

Here is the same station using SSB instead of CW:

[Edited to add SSB animation above.]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think there is value in carrying a trail-friendly HF CW transceiver while on foot.  There's a lot of areas beyond cell and repeater range out there.  This gives you an idea what you might expect from a 5W CW transceiver and a dipole at 17' on 40m:

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj601/wdlsguy/output_Z2ws9B_zpsisjfdbhb.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me HF & bug out would have to be a mobile of some sort installed in my vehicle.  If on foot I can think of many more important things to take up my weight.

Problem as I see it is that there are a HUGE number of hams out there that do NOT use CW.

On the Ecomm drill Gyprat did you saw what happened.

The guys that were digi guys went STRAIGHT to their computers, voice guys went to their microphones and it was a disconnected mess.

What eventually WILL happen in an SHFT scenario is that likely as computer batteries wear down everyone will be forced to go to voice.

A few of you will say, "Well, I got solar/windmill/waterwheel, whatever" but you will likely find fewer and fewer people to communicate with as time passes.

Many of you digi guys may not realize it, but you are a drained battery away from being out of luck.

They may be in a drawer somewhere but virtually all hams have a microphone they can attach to their rigs.

I think that maybe between Christmas and New Year's I'm gonna conduct a rescue drill.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would this one work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would this one work?

I have always hesitated on ordering one of the name brand HT all band scanner/ receiver due to the 250+ price tag.  I might actually consider that neat little guy from county comm.

Specs:
• Radio: 225 hrs at 40% Volume ( 50% Increased Runtime )
•FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
•FM Frequency range adjustable (76 / 87 / 87.5 ~ 108 MHz)
•Antenna Length 18 Inches
•450 Station Memories
•Multi Tuning Methods: ATS, ETM, Auto scan tuning with 5 seconds pre-listening for both frequency & memory (VF / VM), Manual tuning 9K/10K AM tuning step selectable
•Silicon Labs Si4734 DSP chipset
•LCD Backlight
•Key lock function
•External AM antenna Jack
•Built-in rechargeable function (USB jack, 5V) ( can use rechargeable batteries )
•Size: 53 (W) x 159 (H) x 26 (D) mm

Modes : AM, FM, SW, USB, LSB
•FM: 87 – 108 or 76 – 108 MHz
•MW/ AM: 522 - 1620 (9K tuning step) or 520 – 1710 kHz (10K tuning step )
•SW: Extended Frequency Range to 1711-29999 ( higher and lower coverage )
•LW frequency: 150 – 522 kHz (available for 9K tuning step only)

Sterile Fiberboard Packaging Per Contract Requirements

Accessories include:

Power Requirements:
•Stereo earphones
•External AM antenna
•Soft antenna
•Carrying pouch
•User manual

Power Requirements:
•4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)

•3 each "AA" batteries ( Batteries not included )
•Dimensions: 6.20" X 2.05" X .80"
•Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
•Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .5 watt ( 2 times the ouput of the GP-4L )
•Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included

Limited Supply From Surplus Contract

$74.95 GP-5 SSB Radio  ( Limit 10 Per Customer )
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Problem as I see it is that there are a HUGE number of hams out there that do NOT use CW.

The guys that were digi guys went STRAIGHT to their computers, voice guys went to their microphones and it was a disconnected mess.

What eventually WILL happen in an SHFT scenario is that likely as computer batteries wear down everyone will be forced to go to voice.

A few of you will say, "Well, I got solar/windmill/waterwheel, whatever" but you will likely find fewer and fewer people to communicate with as time passes.

Many of you digi guys may not realize it, but you are a drained battery away from being out of luck.

They may be in a drawer somewhere but virtually all hams have a microphone they can attach to their rigs.

I think that maybe between Christmas and New Year's I'm gonna conduct a rescue drill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their loss.  I edited my earlier post to show identical QRP stations running CW and SSB.  I agree with your point about voice vs. digital though.  A computer is an additional power drain and an additional point of failure in the overall system.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.countycomm.com/_images/gp5dsp/gp5dsp10.jpg

I have always hesitated on ordering one of the name brand HT all band scanner/ receiver due to the 250+ price tag.  I might actually consider that neat little guy from county comm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would this one work?

http://www.countycomm.com/_images/gp5dsp/gp5dsp10.jpg

Specs:
• Radio: 225 hrs at 40% Volume ( 50% Increased Runtime )
•FM Frequency range adjustable (76 / 87 / 87.5 ~ 108 MHz)
•Antenna Length 18 Inches
•450 Station Memories
•Multi Tuning Methods: ATS, ETM, Auto scan tuning with 5 seconds pre-listening for both frequency & memory (VF / VM), Manual tuning 9K/10K AM tuning step selectable
•Silicon Labs Si4734 DSP chipset
•LCD Backlight
•Key lock function
•External AM antenna Jack
•Built-in rechargeable function (USB jack, 5V) ( can use rechargeable batteries )
•Size: 53 (W) x 159 (H) x 26 (D) mm

Modes : AM, FM, SW, USB, LSB
•FM: 87 – 108 or 76 – 108 MHz
•MW/ AM: 522 - 1620 (9K tuning step) or 520 – 1710 kHz (10K tuning step )
•SW: Extended Frequency Range to 1711-29999 ( higher and lower coverage )
•LW frequency: 150 – 522 kHz (available for 9K tuning step only)

Sterile Fiberboard Packaging Per Contract Requirements

Accessories include:

Power Requirements:
•Stereo earphones
•External AM antenna
•Soft antenna
•Carrying pouch
•User manual

Power Requirements:
•4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)

•3 each "AA" batteries ( Batteries not included )
•Dimensions: 6.20" X 2.05" X .80"
•Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
•Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .5 watt ( 2 times the ouput of the GP-4L )
•Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included

Limited Supply From Surplus Contract

$74.95 GP-5 SSB Radio  ( Limit 10 Per Customer )

How's the sensitivity and selectivity? And can I hook up a Bnc coax to it? I have a countycomm swl radio but it sucks to use, not very sensitive/wide open front end and tuning is not very friendly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Their loss.  I edited my earlier post to show identical QRP stations running CW and SSB.  I agree with your point about voice vs. digital though.  A computer is an additional power drain and an additional point of failure in the overall system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but for SHTF I think you'd mainly see SSB as the primary mode.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj601/wdlsguy/output_3KmFEO_zpsv8kqsabn.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj601/wdlsguy/output_3KmFEO_zpsv8kqsabn.gif

How did you get vocap to model an antenna at 17'? Also what is the recurve antenna? Also how did you make the animation?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How did you get vocap to model an antenna at 17'? Also what is the recurve antenna? Also how did you make the animation?
View Quote

Dipole at 5m / 17' is one of the options for TX antenna.  I think that's fairly realistic for someone on foot, erecting an antenna under primitive conditions.  The receive antenna is a dipole at 10m / 33'.  I think that's fairly realistic for a home station.

ETA:  I created the animated GIF at http://gifmaker.me using images saved from http://www.voacap.com.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How's the sensitivity and selectivity? And can I hook up a Bnc coax to it? I have a countycomm swl radio but it sucks to use, not very sensitive/wide open front end and tuning is not very friendly.
View Quote

I don't own any of the above.  I have always wanted that Alinco though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dipole at 5m / 17' is one of the options for TX antenna.  I think that's fairly realistic for someone on foot, erecting an antenna under primitive conditions.  The receive antenna is a dipole at 10m / 33'.  I think that's fairly realistic for a home station.

ETA:  I created the animated GIF at http://gifmaker.me using images saved from http://www.voacap.com.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, last I used it they didn't have the 5m option.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be their loss that they don't hear you but it would be YOUR loss if you don't her THEM.

In a true SHTF scenario some of the voices out there are likely to be the licensee's wife, kids, friends, that are doing a trick on radio watch. Those people are likely not to know CW as are many licensed operators.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
thought I was the only one with this in mind.

everyone in the house knows how to monitor the rig while I'm 'control operating' in the prone position under improved cover.
=]

I know code (was required at the time to gain tech plus/gen/xtra) but no one else at home does =[

'monkey
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ooookkkk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tablet and SDR

Too heavy and bulky

Ooookkkk.

Instead of one of these could you maybe post a pic of what exactly you have in mind?  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
IC 7200 + Dual band HT
Battery + charger
Raspberry Pi computer

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IC 7200 + Dual band HT
Battery + charger
Raspberry Pi computer

View Quote

I just ordered a Raspberry Pi 2.  What software are you running in yours and how do you like it?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top