Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 4:54:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
In case you didn't notice, that Jeep doesn't have a roof line.  NMO mount and Antenna at the hood seam, and in about 6-8 inches from the side is a sweet spot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I drilled the top of the windshield frame and installed an NMO mounting bracket. I'll post pics later.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I put an L  NMO bracket on the back of the 3rd brake light. It worked fairly well. Nothing really works all that well on them. I also have a flat NMO bracket that is sandwiched between the hard top and the edge so the antenna is in the corner behind the roll bar. That works fairly well. Everything is going to be a compromise with no decent ground plane.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
NMO 90* angle mount, ....on rear left corner  ( that whip on the right corner, is the top half of a hamstick, took that pic before I put it up for sale )

I had a steel TUFFY center console, designed to mount a DIN car stereo,  I dremel'd it to fit an IC-706

Also had an AH-4 auto tuner for a while, but the mud-tire and soft-top noise made HF mobile a real challenge to hear.

It was a lot of fun, ....but it was also the most unreliable vehicle I've every had.

My kids were little when I traded it in, they CRIED when it was gone.

Thy loved to climb up the rear wheels and snap into there kid seats.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My Jeep was pretty new when I mounted my FT-7900, so I avoided drilling any holes. A simple sheet metal plate from HRO was re-contoured to bolt under the hood and extend out on the driver's side. The dual band antenna has worked very well in this location.

My FT-7900, and later FT-857 mounts high above the rear view mirror on an aluminum bracket I made which utilizes two of the "footman's loop" mounting holes.

My Little Tarheel screwdriver is mounted to the rear tailgate with a trunk lip type mount.

Have fun!

Jim...
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My original intent was to through bolt the bracket on the windshield frame but I "temporarily" used sheet metal screws. They are still there.

The bracket does dip under the seal a bit, but it doesn't leak. Not that we get a bunch of rain here.

The rear HF mount is half of a stainless CB mirror mount with a 3/8x24 stud.

Rigs are on a custom overhead shelf.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Jeep was pretty new when I mounted my FT-7900, so I avoided drilling any holes. A simple sheet metal plate from HRO was re-contoured to bolt under the hood and extend out on the driver's side. The dual band antenna has worked very well in this location.
<a href="http://s195.photobucket.com/user/JustJimPix/media/rad05_zps33978355.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/rad05_zps33978355.jpg</a>

My FT-7900, and later FT-857 mounts high above the rear view mirror on an aluminum bracket I made which utilizes two of the "footman's loop" mounting holes.

<a href="http://s195.photobucket.com/user/JustJimPix/media/857_zpss9dtnegp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/857_zpss9dtnegp.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s195.photobucket.com/user/JustJimPix/media/rad03_zps7caf6dd6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z238/JustJimPix/rad03_zps7caf6dd6.jpg</a>

My Little Tarheel screwdriver is mounted to the rear tailgate with a trunk lip type mount.

Have fun!

Jim...
View Quote

Firestik actually makes a mount for that (though aimed at CB and doesn't work extremely well with the JK). Laird makes a $5 bracket that works just as well.

Here is a JK I installed with the Firestik bracket an the other with the Laird bracket. Both run NMO 2/70 antennas.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Hood channel or third brakelight mount and stick a 1/2 wave on it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I want to fabricate a wider version of this for a NMO but never seem to make the time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is the route I ended up going.  It came today and my son helped me install it.  It's a well made unit, much nicer than I expected (my son was impressed with the smooth welds - I know nothing about welding so I'll take his word for it).  

I got the dual antenna unit, one side is drilled for a firestick (CB) the other for a 2m dual band antenna (3/4" NMO). The mounting point is situation just over and behind the spare tire.

The unit mounts using the two bolts that mount the spare tire carrier to the rear door.  To install you have to remove your spare, the third light (if you have one - I do), then the two upper bolts on the spare mount. Put the antenna mount's base plate in front of the bolt holes, then put everything back together.  No drilling and you use existing bolts to mount the unit.  VERY slick.

I liked it so much I ordered Rick's radio mount as well.  It's a unit very much like KB7DX's above.  However it doesn't require drilling, it mounts up near the windshield resting on the bars that connect the roll cage to the window.  It's secured using the existing knob bolts (the ones you can see just in front of KB7DX's mount in the shot with the roof folded back).  I'll post info and photos when I get it installed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it.  Reasonable price, put the antenna up high, and no drilling into the body.  Bonus points because you can order a version for 2 antennas, so I can run a CB as well as my Ham radio.

Great solution - thanks!

That is the route I ended up going.  It came today and my son helped me install it.  It's a well made unit, much nicer than I expected (my son was impressed with the smooth welds - I know nothing about welding so I'll take his word for it).  

I got the dual antenna unit, one side is drilled for a firestick (CB) the other for a 2m dual band antenna (3/4" NMO). The mounting point is situation just over and behind the spare tire.

The unit mounts using the two bolts that mount the spare tire carrier to the rear door.  To install you have to remove your spare, the third light (if you have one - I do), then the two upper bolts on the spare mount. Put the antenna mount's base plate in front of the bolt holes, then put everything back together.  No drilling and you use existing bolts to mount the unit.  VERY slick.

I liked it so much I ordered Rick's radio mount as well.  It's a unit very much like KB7DX's above.  However it doesn't require drilling, it mounts up near the windshield resting on the bars that connect the roll cage to the window.  It's secured using the existing knob bolts (the ones you can see just in front of KB7DX's mount in the shot with the roof folded back).  I'll post info and photos when I get it installed.

Waiting on pics.

I'm hoping to get another wrangler in the next month or so and will be mounting a CB and probably a ham as well once I get my license.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:40:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Shouldn't the antennas be farther apart?

They seem too close in that mount.  How's the performance?

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#20]

I don't consider those 'pretty' welds.

Good design though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#21]
be sure to check/adjust your SWR

most CB and VHF/UHF need a good flat groundplane

....hard to get in a soft top jeep

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I want to fabricate a wider version of this for a NMO but never seem to make the time.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/antennamount2.jpg
View Quote
I have an issue with the rubber gaskets on those mounts... they're too squishy and don't really feel too solid.  Put one of them on my wife's ZJ, and was never that happy with it.  I want to try a thinner, stiffer gasket.  But, as a side note, it was for a CB radio (she's an Extra class Ham) which she never really used, and I couldn't get the SWR down to anything close to decent.  :/  Not sure if it was the spacing on the mounts posts for the terminals, or what... Gave up on it years ago.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn....I miss my Jeep  

How's the SWR on VHF & UHF ?

I'd be worried you don't have enough ground plane

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ground planes on Jeeps?  Lol.   I plan on being a good SWR reading this weekend (my buddy had a good meter), I don't trust the one built into the radio.
View Quote

unless I'm mistaken, the TMV71A doesn't have a built in SWR meter

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I think your install came out great.  You stuck with your original ideas and made it happen, congrats.  Really happy to see the performance of the antenna from that location.

On the Kenwood (I use the same one as my primary vhf / uhf base station) all memory locations are available to either the a or b side, it does not constrain you to a band.   Therefore you can do vhf / vhf or uhf / uhf if you want to.  Mine is normally doing packet email or fsq call on 2 meter simplex on the b side and the a side is whatever repeater I happen to be listening to.  These are great radios.  Also, do a bit of reading and wrapping your head around the channel grouping that this radio supports.   It's a very handy feature to be able to create a much smaller subset of frequencies that you use often for scanning purposes but still have hundreds of other frequencies loaded into the radio.

Regarding the power out, I'd assume that there is some interaction between the meter, feed line and antenna that results in a misreading.  Mine does the same unless I measure the power into a dummy load with a perfect 50 ohm match.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:...

on 2M:
at 144.0 MHz I got an SWR of 1.7
at 148.0 MHz I got an SWR of 1.1
on the 2M call frequency an SWR of 1.15
On a local repeater that my friends and I use I got a 1.2

I then switched over to 70cm
On the 70cm call frequency an SWR of 1.1
Repeater 1 (rarely used) an SWR of 1.3
Repeater 2 an SWR of 1.0
Repeater 3 an SWR of 1.0
View Quote

that's pretty damn good ...especially for a Jeep    

I would not worry about the 40watts, it could be the wattmeter,....but even if it's the radio, nobody will hear the difference

I wish the TMV71A had a 20-25 watt setting, instead of 10watts

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#36]
"This is good to know as sometimes I like to monitor two local VHF repeaters.  Is there a setting in the software or some control on the radio that allows this?"

There are a couple of ways.  If you are in VFO mode, then check out page 17 of the manual, it shows you how to customize your A and B sides for whatever band you want.  The way I do it though is I operate both sides in memory mode, at that point it does not care what frequency the memory location has stored, both sides have full access to all memory locations regardless of frequency.

Mine is normally doing packet email
View Quote

Very cool.  I'd like to try that this spring, and possibly the sending of .JPGs via FM using Android devices.

Dig into FSQ Call.  It's one of the most interesting new data modes out there right now.  It is basically an ad hoc mesh network that can send chat messages, text files and images.   There's a group of us here in the Kansas City area running a 24 x 7 mesh of stations on FSQ Call.  For packet email I am using RMS express and connecting with a local Winlink Packet gateway.  Works great.   Recently I whitelisted all of the domains for all of the mobile phone carriers in my Winlink profile so that I can send and receive SMS messages to mobile phones using the Winlink email system.

John

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#37]
"I wish the TMV71A had a 20-25 watt setting, instead of 10watts"

Totally agree!   I have a Kenwood TM-271A that I'm setting up as a "data only" radio and it has some secret menus that allow you to modify the high and low settings.  Now I'm curious of the TM-V71A also has this.

Edit:

I looked into it and it's not just a "secret menu" with this radio.   Here's the adjustment info http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/Kenwood_TM-V71_adj.pdf

Top Top