Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 6:04:25 PM EDT
I just bagged Wichita, KS on 2 meter fm (146.52) with 50 watts. 254 miles

eta: the guys in Wichita are reporting that OKC is also hearing them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I keep an eye on aprs.fi and wait for those long first hops to show up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
It was a bit weird. I had just got home and parked my butt, flipped the 2 meter radio on and started surfing the news when they started coming up. At first I wasnt paying attention to it until I didnt hear a repeater ID. Normally theres a couple people on 146.550 (including me), but I didnt recognize any of the voices. Thats when I saw it was on 52. I just figured it was people passing through town, until they started taking checkins. All this time the S meter was climbing. Once the meter made it to about S4-5 I checked in. Kind of surprised them when I gave my location as Omaha, Ne. I guess they run a 52 simplex net 4:30-6:30 (ish) nightly and call it the drive home.
Even at S0 I could hear them and they could hear me. Shortly after I checked in and had a short QSO the Okies checked in. I'm not sure how many, but it sounded like more than 2. I heard reports that Texas was also heard in there.
Just like HF, signal would rise and fall.
I had thought about running outside and putting the beam together, but I didnt want to waste the chance, so everything was done on the good 'ol arrow j pole. One of the other locals that I chat with on 55 simplex got a bunch of them in Wichita after I had headed up to fix dinner. He has a much nicer location and a beam that rotates. He ended up working into Oklahoma before I got back.
I did hear a couple guys just east of St.Louis, MO later, but the band was folding in by then, and tried but couldn't work them.

Still, It was a blast getting that mileage on 2 meters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Those openings are fun on 2M.  My best is em28 to Muskegon, MI many years ago.  Helps I had a 10ele beam up about 40ft.  But just 50 watts.  

Best 2M fm memory I have was a pilot out of Chicago headed to Vegas every thursday night on a commercial flight.  Caught him on .52 once when he was crossing over IA and NE.  Talked weekly for 2 months.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top