Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 8:54:01 AM EDT
Z21 DXpedition.

My timing on this one was interesting. I him just as he was setting up on 20 meters, voice. He hadn't started to split it and for some reason or another I wasn't in the log when the smoke cleared.

I emailed him.

I believe the reason I got an almost immediate answer and had the error corrected is because I made it easy for him to check and was respectful.

It was short, respectful and detailed.

My log has you Z21MG>XXXXXX 2238Z 29 September 2015 on 20 meters 5x5

I clearly heard the operator repeat my call. Perhaps he made a typo which I can understand as you guys have been running for days.

Could you please check and see if a mistake has been made?

I'd sure appreciate it as I am just an entity or two away from my goal of 200 DX entities.

Thank you, 73 and Good DX.

(My name and call here)

I made it easy for him. He could go straight to the date, time and frequency and check it out. In my case I'd venture a guess that he mis typed a single letter or put in the wrong number. That is all it takes.

Piccolo's rules:

1. Make damned good and sure you're 100% right. Don't bother them if you didn't get a 100% accurate call sign sent back to you. No bullshit!

2. Give them as many details as you can, Call, date, time, frequency, signal report. It makes it easier for them to look it up in the log.

3. Acknowledge the fact that operators are overworked and likely tired. Working at the extremely slow rate of 1 call every 10  seconds means they are making 720 QSOs/hour! YOU try it sometime. I KNOW I can't!

4. Keep it in perspective. It is what it is. If they say it's not in the log you don't have to go out and fall on your sword like a Japanese general. THese guys do their best and try and make things right. After all, they have a reputation to uphold. The DX community is small enough and there are back channel messaged that will let word out.

5. Keep an honest log! As everyone here know, I am a Luddite and keep a paper log. Anyone looking at it will see things like deleted entries, question marks next to CW QSOs and little notes. Seeing as to how I am playing with CW a little these days you can see a number of deleted entries that have question marks next to them You can also see 'OK' overwritten on the question marks. The OK generally means I emailed the DX station and found out I am in the log.

6. His time is worth something. If they are using OQRS think about giving a donation if he gets back to you but DON'T say you will in the letter. It sounds like you are trying to bribe him and if he has any integrity he will automatically delete your email. Word gets out on things like this, too. I would imagine if the ARRL found out a DXPedition was taking bribes they could refuse to use that particular call for awards and then where would they be?

7. If you are NOT in the log and should be, then by all means get in touch with them! Don't be bashful. It's worth the effort.

8. In the back of your head, remember this: A good operator makes few mistakes. A Great operator makes few mistakes but is willing to admit he makes one occasionally.

Sometime I'll post you guys an email I sent to a jerk.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Lud·dite
'l?d?it/
noun
a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).
a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.
"a small-minded Luddite resisting progress"

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lud·dite
'l?d?it/
noun
a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).
a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.
"a small-minded Luddite resisting progress"

View Quote

Close enough.

Let's put it this way. I keep a paper log and don't use LOTW.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know what a Luddite was.....it made me laugh.

I usually wait till after the expedition over to check on a busted call.  

Sometime it works, sometimes not.  As with all things, it never hurts to ask.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a QSO with an operator in Gibraltar.  I was about 99% sure it went through OK, but he has an interesting QRZ page, and says to send him an e-mail if there is any doubt. He says he hates to return a card with the words "not in log" on it.  So, I asked, he said I was in his log, and it wasn't long before I had his card.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a QSO with an operator in Gibraltar.  I was about 99% sure it went through OK, but he has an interesting QRZ page, and says to send him an e-mail if there is any doubt. He says he hates to return a card with the words "not in log" on it.  So, I asked, he said I was in his log, and it wasn't long before I had his card.
View Quote

I do this occasionally

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top