Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 7:24:23 PM EDT
I outgrew my original panel by wanting to add more I.C.E. lightning arrestors for my scanner and ADS-B antennas.

The new Extra Large 16”x20”x4”, 18 ga. stainless steel box from KF7P Metalwerks will support (6) I.C.E. arrestors in line horizontally with room for an additional (6) stacked on top of them.  Chris KF7P pre-drilled the copper plate for my original (3) arrestors, the (2) new ones, and a future upgrade spot.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Oooooh, shiny!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That's sweet!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great!!!

What's your plan for the grounding strap?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great!!!

View Quote

I'm planning on using my existing grounding setup, mostly.          --->  ARCHIVED THREAD - Station Grounding / Lightning Protection Pic Thread
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm planning on using my existing grounding setup, mostly.          --->  ARCHIVED THREAD - Station Grounding / Lightning Protection Pic Thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks great!!!

Well duh!  (I am well versed in your grounding thread :))
Is there a slot already cut or are you planning on doing that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Still be relative new to this hobby, what is the big draw to the I.C.E. arrestor vs something form Polyphaser or Alpha Delta?

I need to order one this weekend.

Just found this PDF.

http://www.urfmsi.org/nm-arts/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Lightning-and-Grounding-Techniques_Mar_9_2009.pdf

Pages 33-34 do a direct comparisons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is there a slot already cut or are you planning on doing that?
View Quote

There are (2) ~3-1/2" slots in the bottom, just right for the 3" copper strap I use to attach to the ground rods.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

... what is the big draw to the I.C.E. arrestor vs something form Polyphaser or Alpha Delta?
View Quote

The two biggest reasons I chose the I.C.E. arrestors are the static drain feature and the company is local to me.  I've noticed lower noise levels since they've been installed, too.  I'd feel equally protected by either of the other two choices you mentioned.
Nothing will stop a direct hit, but I'd feel foolish for not trying.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Great comparison in that article, thanks! I'm glad I chose ICE as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Now repeat after me..  "i will never get hit by lightning...  "

Nice job..

Prosise
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Sunday weather was beautiful in Indy, so I made good progress replacing my old box with the new one.  Still need to tidy up input cables and crimp some more PL-259's, but getting closer. Shiny stainless steel shows grimy fingerprints, so once I'm finished I'll have to wipe it down real well.  Also need to enlarge interior wall opening in the shack and add a cable scoop coverplate.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Your house is level.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice upgrade BD! Hope you don't need to cut many holes in that box. Stainless can be a b*tch.
I managed to get four coax protectors (two shown on the picture) and one rotator cable protector into a standard DX Engineering box. I wish someone told me there is a stainless option with a larger box.
BTW, put a moth ball inside the box to keep bugs and ants away. Also put some Penetrox under the coax protectors to stop oxidation due to dissimilar metals. You have probably done this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome!  I'm going to order mine today.  My local shop has rifles on sale and I need to spend the money on the radio gear before I accidentally buy a new moose rifle!

edit: panel & arrestors ordered!  Not as expensive as I thought it was going to be but shipping heavy stuff to Alaska hurts my wallet. Maybe I still have enough left for the rifle after all
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
It just so happens I need Alaska on LOTW for WAS, so get that sh--stuff together quick!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your house is level.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your house is level.

At least I have that going for me, huh?  

Quoted:
BTW, put a moth ball inside the box to keep bugs and ants away. Also put some Penetrox under the coax protectors to stop oxidation due to dissimilar metals. You have probably done this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Good idea about the moth balls, I'll try it.  And you're right... I did use some anti-oxidant compound.  

Quoted:
panel & arrestors ordered!

Great!  We both will be happy with the space and quality for a long time, I bet.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking good!  I have to ask since I'm planning something similar in the future, did you think about reworking the conduit to bring it directly into the bottom of the new box?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking good!  I have to ask since I'm planning something similar in the future, did you think about reworking the conduit to bring it directly into the bottom of the new box?
View Quote

Funny you should mention that, because I have that end of the conduit exposed now.  I dug around it because the piece of 3" wide copper strap from the box to the center ground rod is a little too short to reach the new box's RH slot.  Plan is to replace that piece with a new longer one.  I still have several feet left over from the original install.  Aesthetically, it may look a little better if it was centered under the box.  But it would make adding or subtracting runs harder to pull.  The center ground rod is very close to the conduit as well, and it would be a P.I.T.A. moving it.  So, long story short, I think the conduit will stay where it is for my unique circumstances.  YMMV.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Received the crimp PL-259's I was waiting for and installed them on the LMR400-size Davis RF BuryFlex jumpers into the shack.  Also reworked the box to ground rod 3" wide copper strap and the 3/4" wide copper braid from single point ground to box.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Received the crimp PL-259's I was waiting for and installed them on the LMR400-size Davis RF BuryFlex jumpers into the shack.  Also reworked the box to ground rod 3" wide copper strap and the 3/4" wide copper braid from single point ground to box.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/Cable%20Entrance%20Panel%2033_zpssqvkkdcb.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/Cable%20Entrance%20Panel%2034_zpsnohilbtk.jpg
View Quote

that's a good looking setup!  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks great!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice work!  I just got my box in the mail this weekend.  Chris KF7P ships fast!  I wasn't expecting it this fast so I don't have any of the other materials gathered yet.  I found a few ground rods in the grass next to the house so I'm going to see if those are in good enough shape to reuse, that'll save me a few bucks at least.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I would have swept the underground conduit right into the box but other than that it looks great.

You might consider some fiberglass insulation or duct seal in the house conduit for weather/critter protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top