Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2015 4:46:06 PM EDT
Is anyone here using an IC-7410?
I just picked up a used one on QRZ.
Internet searches show good reviews but I have never even seen one in person.
I haven't been on HF in 25 years.

Just looking for any feedback on this rig.
Guess I need to be thinking about stringing up antennas.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually you ask before buying one.
I don't have this radio but used it several times. It's a good mid-range radio that has most features found in many modern radios. You will like it. This radio much better when compared to the radios that you may have used 25 years ago.
Honestly I like it's fit and finish better than IC-7600 and many other Icom radios. It has a nice and crisp display that can be seen well in the dark as well as in full sunlight conditions.
The receiver is a bit noisy but it's all relative and depends on your QHT and how much RFI noise you have in the area. Both Noise Reduction and Noise Blanker work very well. The radio has a VSC (Voice Squelch Control) feature, not very common in HF HAM radios. I don't think you'll use it much but some people like to have this feature.
Reliability is supposed to be much better than the radio it was replacing ( IC-746Pro). I wish IC-7410 had a 2 m band like IC-746Pro.
Remember, your radio is only as good as your antenna. Don't expect superior performance if you use the radio with a short, window mounted antenna. Try to get the best antenna you can afford and fit into your property boundaries and restrictions. Wire antennas always work better than small, coil loaded, shortened antennas. A simple dipole will work well as long as you install it as high as possible.
Good luck and enjoy your new radio
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Archbru has an IC-7410.  He'll be along to answer this as soon as he sees my email to him about this.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had one for about a week and like it. There is a learning curve to figure out the many bells and whistles.

Even with the poor band conditions I've made QSOs with stations in the CONUS, Dominican Republic, New Zealand, HI, AK using a simple OCF dipole on 20, 17, 15 meters. Receiver is better than my FT857D. Many more DSP and filter options that work well.

Not the most helpful review for you since I have had it only a short time, but I think you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have its predecessor, the IC-746PRO. It is a great radio, and the 7410 is even better, according to those who've owned both. If you're an ARRL member, a review is available for downloading in the QST archives.

When I upgraded, i got a K3, mainly because the K3 offers a sub-receiver, which the IC-74xx series doesn't offer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Dirtracer, sorry for the slow reply. I've been behind enemy lines for the past couple weeks. I just sent you a private message. Thanks for the heads up jup!

-Bru
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably a little late to the game but, I have this radio and love it. I upgraded to this from a IC-718. The filters help out tremendously for me. I got a lot of powerl ine noise at my QTH and the filters in this radio kill it.
It is a great radio and I highly recommend it. -KG5FJI-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top