Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 10:12:30 PM EDT
Whenever i drive within 500 yards of one of our local hospitals, this interference takes my noise level on my mobile HF from s2-4 to s9+ on 40-17. you could be 40 over 9 and I couldn't hear you.

RFI

It's not coming from my car as it vanishes when i gain distance from it. Ani idea what may be causing it? I am assuming it is coming from the hospital because it only happens when I am near it.

Do I have any recourse with the FCC?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it ALL the time or just on occasion? I am no expert but tons of RF coming from hospitals. Could be a telemetry system if it is all the time. If you drive up from another approach is it different? Is there an MRI or lithotripsy trailer pulled up at the dock?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Hospital equipment (i.e. medical equipment) has to meet strict RFI requirements.  No way any telemetry or other medical equipment would cause that.  Most likely it's some other piece of commercial equipment that has failed.  Equipment in good operating condition would not do this.

ETA:  There are channels to report offenders to the FCC, but I don't know the details and it likely would take a long time to get on their schedule.

Any clubs in your area?  Maybe someone has some DF fox hunting equipment to help narrow down the source.  But if it's HF that might be hard due to the long wavelength.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Any time I go near the hospital I get that rfi and like I said, it completely blacks out 40-17 and sometimes 15

As formate clubs, I talked to a few guys in the Norman club and we are gonna try to figure out what is happening
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
When dealing with the hospital itself and any other officials, stress that this interference wipes out frequencies that might be used for emergency communications during
disasters and other events.

That'll put a burr in their saddles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The three people to talk to in the hospital are the security chief, compliance officer and maintenance director.

The security chief is responsible for emcomm and would be able to tell you if they have any transmission equipment generating the RF.

The compliance officer and maintenance director to a lesser extent solely focus on CMS/Joint Commission/DNV regulations.  If there is a piece of faulty equipment causing that type of RF, they will want to know.

Be polite, introduce yourself and simply explain that you're concerned about the RF and you'd be willing to help them track it down.  Chances are you'll gain instant friends.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Where I used to live I would have that problem around some of our hospitals because of the paging systems mostly. Occasionally it was from something else that I could not easily identify. I then switched to Motorola radios and put a PL on receive where I could and the problems went away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hospitals have always been a bugaboo wherever I have been.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a high-current power supply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top