[#1]
Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you find one for $24?
View Quote

Amazon link posted earlier in this thread. I took the last one in stock though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]

If you can type that sentence and understand what it means, it's time to move onto a big-boy radio.
View Quote

Recommend me something!

Take it easy on the big boy pricing though, since I'll most likely be procuring multiples.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's kind of funny because...I got the second to last one (there were 2 left in stock when I ordered, before the link was posted here)

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's kind of funny because...I got the second to last one (there were 2 left in stock when I ordered, before the link was posted here)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nothing, I got the third! After my order was done it said two remaining!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Found a couple of BF's that have piques my interest...

Anyone have any experience with the BF-A58 or the UV-5RZ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
a year or so ago-on a whim, I bought an odd-ball, the A52...just because.  I hate it.
No VFO selector, PTT in worst location ever, Terrible ext mic plug cover, and moar.

said that to say this: use caution when buying an odd ball-there may be a reason for it's uniqueness (or it's lack of availability in the US market)

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have avoided the Chicom radios up til now, but have had so much fun with my tiny Yeasu VX-3R that I ordered one of the Baofeng UV3R from Amazon. For $28.00, how could I resist? We'll see how this one turns out. I just liked the idea of having an inexpensive radio I could hand off to someone if needed. Will probably grab one of the 1.25 meter UV82 radios for my buddy when he gets his ticket.

And yes, I understand the irony, I know some if not all of my "high end" Yeasu radios are made in China!

Jim...

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Just an update, the b5 is pissing me off. I can't get chirp to program it. It will program the other radios fine, but the b5 won't accept programming mode. I've read the $5 cable doesn't work and I have to have the $20 cable.

Did I mention the radio only cost $24
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The only problem I had is that the plug on the programming cable was a little too large to fit into the radio right. Trimmed a little bit of plastic off so that the plug would seat fully, then no problem with either the factory software or chirp. I only use serial cables to avoid the problems with the USB chips.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I read somewhere that the latest B5/B6 firmware is not compatible with CHIRP.  The one that I bought about a year ago works with CHIRP and my cheap cable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've already trimmed the cable and I have the (reportedly) correct driver for chirp.

Still no luck
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used CHIRP and the Baofeng software to program the B5's.

Have you tried the Baofeng Software?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I can try in a day or so to see if I can program my B5 (the second to last one from ATC on Amazon)  with chirp

My cable has the authentic FTDI chipset
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't know there was a baofeng software....
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I didn't know there was a baofeng software....
View Quote

It's not alot of fun to use, kinda like the early Wouxun software....then came the Commander (for Wouxun) before the advent of the $35 Baofeng.
Some units have CD in box, or you can look Here
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I can try in a day or so to see if I can program my B5 (the second to last one from ATC on Amazon)  with chirp

My cable has the authentic FTDI chipset
View Quote
Just did it without issues

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#18]
for whatever reason, my computer isn't recognizing the cable…dammit.  I'm actually having no trouble programming my UV5R by hand jamming individual freqs. but it'd be nice to be able to plug and play as advertised.

ka
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Kingairpilot, be sure your Comm Channel is set correctly. If it isn't, it can be infuriating.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I still can't get mine to ack. Com is set correctly, correct usb driver, even trimmed the cable as recommended to fit in the hole.

Still no joy
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I first bought a Baofeng cable to program mine from amazon.com.  I never could get it to work.  The computer wouldn't recognize it.  It would say it malfunctioned.  I finally bought a cable on eBay with authentic chips in it and I haven't looked back

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you can type that sentence and understand what it means, it's time to move onto a big-boy radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat. I've got 5 BF-F8+ with additional antennas, batteries, etc.

I would be thrilled if Baofeng would set a battery standard. The large battery for the UV-5R variants is phenomenal.

If Baofeng would make an IPX-rated UV-5R derivative with more memory, a better front end, and voice inversion I would buy them hand over fist.

Quoted:
My issue with the non UV-5R/BF-F8+ and HP models is that they don't take the UV5R accessories which there seems to be more of in the line of batteries and what not.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top