Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 9:15:54 PM EDT
As of the end of June I will be footloose and fancy free.  SOOOO...  I needed a new go box.  One that sleeps two.

Of course, it HAD to be modified.  The first step was to add a panel for external antenna connections.  As soon as I find my bottle of GoofOff I'll clean up the caulking.

Then the batteries were installed.  I'm planning on replacing the ittsy-bittsy ones with larger ones before I depart for the wilderness, but these will do for now.

They're installed in the compartment with the fresh water tank.  The permanent install will have cleats installed to keep them from shifting around.

All the wires come out under the corner of the cushion where they won't get compressed.

With everything back in place, it makes for a pretty neat installation.  I have an ICOM 7100 on roder that will replace both the radios in this pic.  The radio body will be mounted under the table so that only the control head will be on the table.  That way I can hide it when I leave the trailer.

The 5100 will go in the truck.  I'm still struggling with an HF antenna for use while camping.  A wire in a tree is always an option, but some of the time I'll be in the desert where there are as many trees as there are nubile young nymphs.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Lack of liquor cabinet = fail
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
a local uses an Eagle1 antenna with his travel trailer, he loves it....
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks like a nice size trailer.  Big enough to be comfortable in, but not too big to maneuver around.  I bet you will be able to make a bunch of contacts with that setup.

An extendable flagpole on a trailer hitch mount might be an option for your HF antenna.  Just hook an end fed antenna to it, and raise it up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been very impressed with how well my Max Gain Systems mast has been working out.  I've got the 50' HD model extended to 40' and without any guying.  It is anchored on a 24' roof fascia board and down below at about 10'.  I have run it out further, but the wind does start to get it to moving about quite a bit more since I don't have it guyed out.  

If I was doing a setup similar to yours I'd probably look at the MGS mast but have it setup to guy it out since your trailer will likely be in places where you will have that ability versus my suburban 60x100' lot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lack of liquor cabinet = fail
View Quote

If you got a 4 on the floor the fifth goes under the seat.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's the gun safe?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where's the gun safe?
View Quote

In the attic.

I'm headed to California for a while, so gun choices are VERY limited.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

What they don't know won't hurt them....

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a Deputy Sheriff out there for ten years.  They are very good about sniffing out contraband coming into the state . . . especially fruit (not the two-legged kind).

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Question
Why didn't you just wire your radio power supply from your trailer battery's that way when your trailer is plugged into shore power the battery's are charging or if you go with solar or a genny for dry camping the battery's get charged and you don't have to worry about dealing with the radio battery bank?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Question
Why didn't you just wire your radio power supply from your trailer battery's that way when your trailer is plugged into shore power the battery's are charging or if you go with solar or a genny for dry camping the battery's get charged and you don't have to worry about dealing with the radio battery bank?
View Quote

The trailer has only one 85 AH battery to run everything.  I didn't want to add the load of the radios to it.  The second reason is that the underside of the trailer is sealed, making running new wires difficult.  I have a battery tender in one of the outlets to keep the radio batteries charged right now.  I'm also installing a weatherproof connector for the solar panels so I can use then to charge the radio batteries and maybe the coach battery when I set up somewhere for more than a day.

The radio batteries will run through a boost converter to give a consistent 13.8 volts to the radios until the batteries drop to 11 volts.  There are lots of options for hooking everything up, and I'll probably try several ways before settling on one.  This is like a Lego set.  I have lots of blocks in different shapes and sizes to play with.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I am not sure if I could live in an RV for an extended period of time, but it sure looks like you plan on making a fun time of it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am not sure if I could live in an RV for an extended period of time, but it sure looks like you plan on making a fun time of it.

View Quote

I'm just trying to find one of those signs that says . . .

If this trailer's rock'n, don't bother knock'n.

The first shot is three to four weeks, and then I'll decide what to do next.  I lived in a 28' fifth wheel for eight months, including the winter in St. Charles, one time and survived.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
There are traveling construction workers that do this. I have seen job sites with camp grounds setup across the road.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice! I assume there is AC unit in the trailer? I don't see it. Usually it's mounted on the roof.
I used to have a Terry, dual axle, 20 ft trailer when I lived in Arizona. I pulled it with my 4x4, 6 cyl. Jeep Grand Cherokee. We took it camping a lot. Having a propane powered refrigerator was very nice to keep beer cold. It also had a nice shower with a 5 gal water heater and a propane air heater. I installed a large Tarheel mobile antenna mounted on the edge of the roof. The antenna worked very well. I also used the same antenna for 80 and 160m bands. I would disconnect the whip and connect a long wire (hung in the trees) instead. It worked as a bottom loaded antenna with excellent results and perfect SWR.
The trailer had a large deep cycle battery and I also bought a 1000W, EU1000 Honda generator to keep the battery charged and to run TV, VCR and my HAM radios. Unfortunately the generator could not run the microwave and the air conditioner. I should have bought a 2kW or 3kW inverter generator instead.
I would strongly advise to install a bigger propane tank or add another tank if you plan to use a propane heater. Also look at installing a ladder on the back wall. Having a ladder helps a lot.
Also look at adding four leveling jacks. Manual jacks don't cost much but make living in a trailer a lot more comfortable. The jacks not only help to keep it level but will keep the trailer from bouncing when you walk inside. It would get on your nerves after a while.
Another useful addition is a load distributing (leveling) trailer hitch. You can buy one at U-haul for around $300. It really improves handling on long trips and will make braking more efficient even if you have a large heavy duty truck. Having electric brakes on the trailer helps too. Brakes was my biggest concern because the Jeep is relatively light for the 2 ton trailer. The Jeep pulled it like a mule with it's high torque, inline-six engine but stopping it was another issue. I added cross drilled brake rotors on both Jeep axles and installed electrical brakes controller for the trailer. It stopped ok but I always tried to keep good distance in front just to be safe. My average fuel mileage was at about 14 MPG (highway) vs normal 22-24 MPG without the trailer.
Enjoy your new toy and please, post more pictures of your adventures!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Hustler 6btv vertical and some temporary radials to spread out

Zs6bkw/g5rv for when u park near trees

Also...if ur spending a bunch of time driving...get an HF mobile in the cab

so you can work DX driving down the interstate

Godspeed

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#17]

I think this would make a great large go box.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The first shot is three to four weeks, and then I'll decide what to do next.  I lived in a 28' fifth wheel for eight months, including the winter in St. Charles, one time and survived.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Knockin-Careers-Professions-License/dp/B00JNDUFQY

http://www.zazzle.com/if_the_campers_rockin_car_bumper_sticker-128497844920140334
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very nice! I assume there is AC unit in the trailer? I don't see it. Usually it's mounted on the roof.
I used to have a Terry, dual axle, 20 ft trailer when I lived in Arizona. I pulled it with my 4x4, 6 cyl. Jeep Grand Cherokee. We took it camping a lot. Having a propane powered refrigerator was very nice to keep beer cold. It also had a nice shower with a 5 gal water heater and a propane air heater. I installed a large Tarheel mobile antenna mounted on the edge of the roof. The antenna worked very well. I also used the same antenna for 80 and 160m bands. I would disconnect the whip and connect a long wire (hung in the trees) instead. It worked as a bottom loaded antenna with excellent results and perfect SWR.
The trailer had a large deep cycle battery and I also bought a 1000W, EU1000 Honda generator to keep the battery charged and to run TV, VCR and my HAM radios. Unfortunately the generator could not run the microwave and the air conditioner. I should have bought a 2kW or 3kW inverter generator instead.
I would strongly advise to install a bigger propane tank or add another tank if you plan to use a propane heater. Also look at installing a ladder on the back wall. Having a ladder helps a lot.
Also look at adding four leveling jacks. Manual jacks don't cost much but make living in a trailer a lot more comfortable. The jacks not only help to keep it level but will keep the trailer from bouncing when you walk inside. It would get on your nerves after a while.
Another useful addition is a load distributing (leveling) trailer hitch. You can buy one at U-haul for around $300. It really improves handling on long trips and will make braking more efficient even if you have a large heavy duty truck. Having electric brakes on the trailer helps too. Brakes was my biggest concern because the Jeep is relatively light for the 2 ton trailer. The Jeep pulled it like a mule with it's high torque, inline-six engine but stopping it was another issue. I added cross drilled brake rotors on both Jeep axles and installed electrical brakes controller for the trailer. It stopped ok but I always tried to keep good distance in front just to be safe. My average fuel mileage was at about 14 MPG (highway) vs normal 22-24 MPG without the trailer.
View Quote

Yup, there's A/C.  It's a small unit mounted on the driver's side with a really small condenser on the roof.  I'm planning on upgrading the battery and adding a 3,000 watt generator to the mix.  The trailer has stabilizing jacks, but not leveling jacks.  I'll have to look into that.  Using leveling blocks under a wheel is a PITA.  My only concern is that if the trailer's not rock'n, someone may come a knock'n.  

I considered a load distributing hitch, but wanted to see how it pulled before adding one.  It's great until I hit 60 mph and then it gets a little squirrely. A new hitch is definitely in the plan now.  I have a 30# tank that will replace the 20# that came with it.  It does have electric brakes and the truck has the controller in it already.  You're right, trailer brakes make a HUGE difference.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I love jumbo size go boxes.
If the window didnt work so well I'd put in a bulkhead.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd be driving Away from the left coast with it

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup, there's A/C.  It's a small unit mounted on the driver's side with a really small condenser on the roof.  I'm planning on upgrading the battery and adding a 3,000 watt generator to the mix.  The trailer has stabilizing jacks, but not leveling jacks.  I'll have to look into that.  Using leveling blocks under a wheel is a PITA.  My only concern is that if the trailer's not rock'n, someone may come a knock'n.  

I considered a load distributing hitch, but wanted to see how it pulled before adding one.  It's great until I hit 60 mph and then it gets a little squirrely. A new hitch is definitely in the plan now.  I have a 30# tank that will replace the 20# that came with it.  It does have electric brakes and the truck has the controller in it already.  You're right, trailer brakes make a HUGE difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Load leveling hitch is a must for long travel. It will greatly improve handling and will add weight on the front axle while reducing load on the rear thus improving steering and braking.Some people add anti-sway bars as well.
A friend of mine did a custom graphics on his trailer. See a similar picture below:

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
YAY!!!  A package came in today.

What could it be?

It's the box of packing worms I ordered.  

Wait, there's something else in there.

Well, that cleans up the shack on wheels.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice addition to the shack!  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
That radio looks good in the shack!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#26]
You got a nice travel trailer, a nice radio and an open road ahead of you! This is freedom! Enjoy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top