Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2015 9:27:55 PM EDT
Well, after sitting unused for a little over 10 years except for a quick way onto the roof I finally put it to real use last weekend......

The most excellent antenna..............before I started the work

Can I hack the good end off and make something?  Would it be good for anything?

New antenna getting prepped...

Up on the mast

Just picked up something else and found the perfect place for it!

Had to change out the small diameter 10' pole for a piece removed from the old TV antenna due to not being rigid enough in the wind.  It would have most certainly caused the rain collector to be inaccurate.  I plan on getting a 10' piece of 1 1/4" to get it back up to the same height.  Also going to figure out a way to secure the tower to the house.

Purchased a lightning surge arrester to go inline of the coax and going to find a suitable box to mount it in and drive a ground rod by the tower and also bond that to the house rod about 35 feet away.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The TV antenna can be re-utilized. I've made Yagis from them for VHF (2 meters). Heck, the UHF corner reflector on the front of the TV antenna may be useful as-is.
Corner reflector looks like this  <-----

ETA - Heh, I found my old thread on Re-purposing a TV antenna
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
My Davis Vantage Vue weather station has been going strong for over 5 years now.
One of the better purchases I've made.

Are you going to go online with it via Weather Underground? Very easy to do.

BTW, nice antenna!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Davis Vantage Vue weather station has been going strong for over 5 years now.

One of the better purchases I've made.
Are you going to go online with it via Weather Underground? Very easy to do.
BTW, nice antenna!
View Quote

Well, I already upgraded this past Thursday

I am uploading to Weather Underground and NWS/MADIS/CWOP via a Mediabridge connection.

The Vue display console is nicer in my opinion and plan to keep it along with the console that came with the Vantage Pro2.  The Vue's rain bucket was going to be a PITA when it came to maintenance being up on the tower.  Plus I noticed that rainfall accuracy would suffer a bit in high winds.  Too many trees around to get an accurate wind reading with it down at ground level so pulled the trigger on the Vantage Pro2 like I should have in the first place.

Had to go up and back down that damn tower 3 times cause I was dropping nuts, washers, and tools when installing the anemometer and wireless anemometer transmitter

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good!

I got an AccuRite weather station a while ago and I'm happy with it.  I'll keep using it until it dies but I wish it did wind gusts and rainfall rate.  

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KIADESMO26

I put it on the fence in the middle of the Winter.  Plan to move it to a pole soon.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have salvaged several TV antennas.  They make great directional scanner antennas as is or take them apart for vhf/UHF Yagi's.
For UHF down link, where your not transmitting, they make good UHF receive antennas as is.

Tubing, mounts, insulators, clamps, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top