Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 10:57:43 PM EDT
A while back one of you guys mentioned that I should try looking on Craigslist for a Zenith .  I have been patiently looking.  Earlier this week I was rewarded. I found a complete HF station for sale, Yaesu FT-101, Sp-101 Speaker, YC-601B Freq counter, MFJ 949 tuner, D104 mic, and a spare set of tubes.  Everything is like new and works great.  I can't believe that I got it for $225!

I also found a Zenith 7000-2, that is in great shape.  What a neat receiver.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that's a score!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats F-ing awesome!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Start looking for spare tubes asap. They can sometimes be difficult to replace.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I have that Zenith radio in the last picture. Still in the original box.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice.

I find the 'transition' rigs between the hollow state era to the solid state era interesting. Designers were getting a handle on what those new fangled transistor thingys can and cannot do while the final amp is tried and true tube tech.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Did a quick Google and found that it used a 12BY7A driver into a pair of 6JS6C finals. Otherwise it's a sold (sand) state rig.

The finals are going for about $30 each on online auction. My usual suspects for tubes didn't have any. I'd start looking for a spare set of finals now and stash them away. The driver tube is common as dirt.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It came with a set of tubes, all 3 of them, New in the box

I was really surprised to find that the Freq counter is worth more than I paid for the entire lot.  I have had it on the air a few times and had great contacts using my G5RV.  Might do a DXing today during the contest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are bug bucks on ebay, I am talking 4-500 bucks.  Crazy prices.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was really surprised to find that the Freq counter is worth more than I paid for the entire lot.  I have had it on the air a few times and had great contacts using my G5RV.  Might do a DXing today during the contest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you are set for a very long time.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are bug bucks on ebay, I am talking 4-500 bucks.  Crazy prices.

So you have a Zenith going low ball for $400. Spare tubes and the ones in the FT are worth $100 as is. A digi display that appears to be going for $200 plus. I'd say you did quite well on a monetary standpoint. Up there with the KX-3 kit in a box of junk electronic parts found at a garage sale recently for like $30.

Never mind the money. That is a nice setup. Get it on the air.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice score!  

That was me who recommended you look at Craigslist.  Now that you have found what you are after, let me give you one more piece of advice: stop looking at Craigslist!!!  You will continue to find deals for things you don't need, and have trouble passing them up!  For example, I was a  Hallicrafters HT-37 fully restored for $100 last weekend, but knew I had no space for it.  It was really hard not to go for that one!  So, unless you want a house full of stuff you don't use, ban yourself from Craigslist until you actually need something again.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You struck gold! Congratulations!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Tubes can lose vacuum.  See the silvery coating inside the tube, or perhaps just a dark spot.  That is "Gettering".  

The tube has chemicals that when heated flash and combine with any remaining oxygen.  That flash coats inside
the glass and makes the silvery spot.  This can be repeated until the Getter runs out.

but for now go on and run the tubes that are in the radio for a while, heaters only several hours, then operate
for several hours.

Put in the new tubes and do the same thing again.  I would put it on standby overnight, and operate a week or so.  
That should get rid of any residual oxygen in the tube.

Then put those new tubes away and put the original tubes back in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats! Welcome to the FT-101 club!
What brand of final tubes do you have? The FT-101 series rigs need either the Toshiba "Green Stripe" or the NEC's. American 6JS6C's will work, but you have to modify the rig's final section.
The 12BY7A driver can be any brand.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice radio.  I will always have a spot for tube radios.  First HF was a Heathkit SB-101.  Made many DX contacts with those glowing 6146s
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]
that Yaesu radio is SO COOL!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice score!  

That was me who recommended you look at Craigslist.  Now that you have found what you are after, let me give you one more piece of advice: stop looking at Craigslist!!!  You will continue to find deals for things you don't need, and have trouble passing them up!  For example, I was a  Hallicrafters HT-37 fully restored for $100 last weekend, but knew I had no space for it.  It was really hard not to go for that one!  So, unless you want a house full of stuff you don't use, ban yourself from Craigslist until you actually need something again.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice score!  

Now that is really funny.  I had to ban myself from the EE for the same reasons.  At least boatanchors are cheaper than Ar's

Quoted:
Congrats! Welcome to the FT-101 club!
What brand of final tubes do you have? The FT-101 series rigs need either the Toshiba "Green Stripe" or the NEC's. American 6JS6C's will work, but you have to modify the rig's final section.
The 12BY7A driver can be any brand.

Has NEC's inside and as spares.  I am enjoying it some such, I bought a Vibroplex Bug.  I have never used one.  Only issue is that it has an AM filter in place of the CW filter.  I think I will look for a 500hz CW filter.

Quoted:
that Yaesu radio is SO COOL!

Thanks, it's really cool rig.  

Quoted:

Never mind the money. That is a nice setup. Get it on the air.

Oh it has been on the air, I have worked some DX and stateside. If fact was on 20m calling CQ friday night and started out talking to a guy in New York, we got to talking guns, and before I knew it, we had a roundtable going and were all talking guns.  It was a really fun QSO for about an hour.

Have had lot's of fun with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice score! I've been looking for an old radio like that but could not find one in decent shape at a reasonable price.
Craiglist can be a gold mine but there is a lot of overpriced junk listed too. I've seen people trying to sell used, filthy dirty radios for more than they cost new.
BTW, last week I scored a new 50 ft set or Rohn 25 tower for $100. It includes four 10ft sections and a top section, a base and all hardware. Everything is new and has been in dry storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top